1. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    01 Aug '10 20:361 edit
    Here's the second game-aLeningrad Dutch by transposition.

I misplayed the Opening, and later decided to sac the exchange instead of losing a pawn, thinking that I would be able to control the center and get more value out of my minor pieces than he would out of his rooks.

The idea is probably circumspect, but it was G/75, and I ultimately ended up a piece.

At move 37. I thought ...Bxf2+ and ...h6 were interchangeable, but they weren't- I missed that 38. Kg2 would allow his rook to come to the h-file. I think black would still be on top after ...Qh6, but I'm not sure.

The game was lost at that point. We were both in some time pressure, and I missed the remaining moves, but he finished the game with good technique.

2. e4
    Moves
    01 Aug '10 23:34
    Hi Paul.

Hard luck in that one.

Been trying to squeeze a win for you out of this.

and the resulting positions. I can hold it and squeea out a win but no snazzy cigar.

Back tracking to here.

You played 1...hxg3 and the King had running room plus a threat of Rh1+.

so 1...h3 and if we follow what happend in the games then there are mates.

3. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    02 Aug '10 20:57
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Hi Paul.

Hard luck in that one.

Been trying to squeeze a win for you out of this.

[fen]5r1k/8/2p2q2/2P1b3/Pp1n2p1/3BQ1P1/3RPP2/6K1 b - - 0 3[/fen]

and the resulting positions. I can hold it and squeea out a win but no snazzy cigar.

Back tracking to here.

[fen]5r1k/8/2p2q2/2P1b1p1/PpBn3p/4Q1P1/3RPP1P/6K1 b - - 0 1[/fen]

You played 1. ...[text shortened]...
    --------------}
    1... h3 2. Bd3 Nb3 3. Rd1 Bd4 4. Qe4 Qxf2+ 5. Kh1 Qf1+ 6. Rxf1 Rxf1[/pgn]
    I appreciate the time you took to look at this.

That's what makes me sick about it- I knew it was there and I just choked. I hadn't played OTB since last February, and I really felt out of practice. Playing here has definitely helped my chess, but there's the physical element of being in total concentration on the clock that CC can't really help.

Here I often move quickly, but it's because I usually have time to really break down a position like that, and I already know ahead of time how I am going to respond to my opponent, unless they really surprise me.

Having to do it all at once is something I have to work at all the time, and if I'm out of practice, it shows. Some are naturals, but I have to work at it.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree