1. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    16 Jun '08 18:49
    Originally posted by Kepler
    Nothing to do with historical precedent, flawed or not. The use of books and databases is explicitly permitted in certain CC organisations. Others merely accept the use of same, others just don't mention them at all. In the case of this site the rules state "(b) While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by ...[text shortened]... er pre-existing research materials." Referencing books and databases is explicitly permitted.
    Sorry Kepler, but greenpawns "analysis" seems a little more balanced, thoughtful and coherent, this always pointing to "historical" precedent or the faq here is a bit dull and arbitrary.
  2. Standard memberKepler
    Demon Duck
    of Doom!
    Moves
    16 Jun '08 18:57
    Originally posted by eldragonfly
    Sorry Kepler, but greenpawns "analysis" seems a little more balanced, thoughtful and coherent, this always pointing to "historical" precedent or the faq here is a bit dull and arbitrary.
    I wasn't pointing at historical precedent. I also did not point at the faq here or anywhere else. I'll leave you to find out where I got the bit I quoted.
  3. Standard membereldragonfly
    leperchaun messiah
    thru a glass onion
    Moves
    16 Jun '08 19:211 edit
    Originally posted by Kepler
    I wasn't pointing at historical precedent. I also did not point at the faq here or anywhere else. I'll leave you to find out where I got the bit I quoted.
    site rules the rhp faq are almost one and the same stop playing with pink unicorns. Thanks for making my point for me, your suggestions are dull, ordinary, arbitrary and not very insightful. And you are pointing to historical precedent, ie. "gee whiz don't you get it, that's why that rule is even there in the first place" whether you realize it or not.
  4. Standard memberJohn of Reading
    Scotch addict
    Moves
    16 Jun '08 19:39
    Originally posted by slappy115
    So I decided to figure this out to see what the max number of moves you could make in a game without it being considered a draw, that is, until the 50 move rule or the three repeating move kicks in.
    Off topic, of course, but both of these kinds of draw have to be claimed - they do not take effect automatically. So if the players just wanted to extend the game indefinitely, they could.
  5. Standard memberslappy115
    Slappy slap slap
    Under your bed...
    Moves
    16 Jun '08 23:28
    Originally posted by John of Reading
    Off topic, of course, but both of these kinds of draw have to be claimed - they do not take effect automatically. So if the players just wanted to extend the game indefinitely, they could.
    I see. I thought the 50 move rule automatically kicked in. Thanks for pointing that out.
  6. Standard memberAttilaTheHorn
    Erro Ergo Sum
    In the Green Room
    Moves
    17 Jun '08 00:02
    Originally posted by John of Reading
    Yes, that's correct. A draw is not automatic. It must be claimed. So if neither player claims a draw, the game can theoretically go on forever and have an infinite number of moves.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree