Spiral bound...

Spiral bound...

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

b
Enigma

Seattle

Moves
15 Oct 08

Has any noticed what a misery it is to play over games out of a new chess book. You not only have to use one hand to keep your place in the book, but you have to use pressure to keep the book open, so it does not close by itself! Wouldn't it be nice if all chessbooks were spiral bound? They would lay flat, and chess players could concentrate on the moves, and not having to wrestle a book, and pin it in an open position!

U

Moves
15 Oct 08

Originally posted by bill718
Has any noticed what a misery it is to play over games out of a new chess book. You not only have to use one hand to keep your place in the book, but you have to use pressure to keep the book open, so it does not close by itself! Wouldn't it be nice if all chessbooks were spiral bound? They would lay flat, and chess players could concentrate on the moves, and not having to wrestle a book, and pin it in an open position!
Why don't all books have this feature for that matter? Perhaps it is more expensive although that is just a guess.

F

Moves
15 Oct 08

Why not spiral-bind it yourself?

Just cut off the back of the book, and spiral it. Not difficult at all.

W
Angler

River City

Moves
15 Oct 08

You idea works when one owns only one or two chess books, and has limited application for them. Spiral binding is more expensive. makes the book bulkier, and eliminates the spine that is necessary to locate the book among others on a book shelf. Not does it facilitate reading on the train. In my experience, spiral binding is also less durable--with hard use, pages tend to rip as they catch on one another.

Bad idea.

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
16 Oct 08

Originally posted by FabianFnas
Why not spiral-bind it yourself?

Just cut off the back of the book, and spiral it. Not difficult at all.
Holy S%^T, what a cannibal! I would rather eat some porridge instead of destroying a precous book!!

F

Moves
16 Oct 08

Originally posted by black beetle
Holy S%^T, what a cannibal! I would rather eat some porridge instead of destroying a precous book!!
I eat porridge every morning and I'm still alive.

To spiral a book is not to destroy it, it is to refine it. 🙂

Black Beastie

Scheveningen

Moves
16 Oct 08

Originally posted by FabianFnas
I eat porridge every morning and I'm still alive.

To spiral a book is not to destroy it, it is to refine it. 🙂
alive 'n' kickin
🙄

M

St. Paul, Minnesota

Moves
16 Oct 08

just got back in to OTB, but I bought spiral bound books from wholesale chess. Aside from some odor, presumably from the ink, they are quite nice. The odor will wear off eventually.

e4

Moves
16 Oct 08

I love the smell of a new book - chess or otherwise.

I'm afraid I'm very unkind to my chess books - the one's that
I study with.

I highlight the good bits, score out all the useless analysis, write
comments, red pen the waffle...

If it's an opening book I bookmark each section with a dod of selotape
and a note so I can find the relevant section in an instant.