1. Joined
    20 Mar '07
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 19:323 edits
    Originally posted by xnomanx
    Poor sportsmanship and good manners are a big issue with me, as a teacher and chess advisor, especially when dealing with teenagers- half the kids I teach won't say please or thank you for anything. During a recent blitz tournament, a "better" player commented that the move his opponent had just made was stupid as he recaptured. Given I was right there an ...[text shortened]... I REALLY don't want people developing and perpetuating attitudes like that in my classroom.
    We need more Teachers like you showing the Kids the right way to play the game if someone can't play with honor and a spirit of sportsmanship there's not point to playing.

Well done!
  2. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 10:461 edit
    Originally posted by eatmybishop
    does sportsmanship actually exist in chess? maybe after, with a "good game" and even a "well done" if you lose... but how can sportsmanship actually work within the game itself...?
    I think it does but only in individuals. For example we (Dorking) recently lost a match 3;1 in the Surrey league. The away team had turned up late and unorganised so the games were quickly started before they had filled in their team sheet. The away captain filled in his sheet after the last game (mine, which I lost). I immediately realised that I could claim the match by defualt as they had played their players on the boards in the wrong order (they would loss the game plus a default point). The chap that I had played was actually rated quite low, but did indeed play to the standard of the number 2 board (afterall he did beat me). After pointing out the discerpancy and stating that we could claim the match on that error, the following morning when emailing the result in to the league I said that I did not want to claim the match and believed chess not technicalities should decide the winner, which was what was done. Similarly last season when someone's mobile went off during our game I did not claim the match.
  3. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 10:49
    Originally posted by Pigface1
    ...I should point out that when I said I enjoy a chat, its not usually OTB, I dont like to be distracted too much in OTB so would rather not chat unless it is a friend
    As I recall you threaten to throw pieces at your opponent upon resigning 😛
  4. Joined
    29 Oct '06
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 12:48
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    I agree that one should never speak to their opponent in a tournament game except to say "adjust", to resign, to offer a draw, or to accept or decline a draw offer.
    If I was off to get a drink I might ask my opponent if they would like one too, but before I press my clock and only if they didn't seem to be concentrating very much at that point.
  5. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 13:54
    Originally posted by stevetodd
    I think it does but only in individuals. For example we (Dorking) recently lost a match 3;1 in the Surrey league ....
    Years ago I played in a match against a club. I happened to be captain of our side.

We were the home team ... they turned up over half an hour late but we didn't start the clocks even though when we were late getting to their venue earlier in the season they'd set the clocks going exactly at the time the league rules said the games should start.

They turned up with half a team without letting us know in advance so we had to send two or three players home without a game.

In fact it was less than half a team because they even defaulted one of the boards they said they would be playing. I found out later this player who didn't turn up in fact lived in Brighton (an hour + drive from their home town let alone our venue) and had not played for them so far that season. In fact the guy had never said he would play - a message had been left on his answer phone the night before the game asking him if he would - this all added up to another of our players not getting a game but having to wait around for half an hour before he could go home in case their guy turned up.

Even though I'd told the opposition captain I was sending two of our players home at the start of the match because they didn't have a full team he later tried to claim the point on the bottom board should be split on the grounds that we didn't have a full team at the venue at the time the match started either.

That oppostion club was ....

Dorking.
  6. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 13:57
    Originally posted by tapestry
    If I was off to get a drink I might ask my opponent if they would like one too, but before I press my clock and only if they didn't seem to be concentrating very much at that point.
    My last OTB game was played at another club's venue.

They brew tea and coffee for all players - free to the away team - and when it was announced it was ready my opponent offered to stop the clock as I went off to get my cuppa.

All very sporting - although I declined his offer as I didn't think there was any need for it.

His sporting attitude didn't extend to the game itself though as he then proceeded to wipe me off the board in short order.
  7. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 14:05
    Talking of travel to away matches... I'd like to know since when are both Hastings & Brighton in mid Sussex?😕
  8. Sigulda, Latvia
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 14:13
    I've had quite a few games OTB where my opponents have been older (~65+) players. Some of these guys sometimes (yes, really) forget to push the clock. They make a move but their time is still running. Due to the fact that I play chess to play chess not to win, I prefer to remind this to them. I think it's a good thing to do, even though could be distraction. What do you think?

One thing that drives me nuts is when I'm playing against someone who's eating and munching. This is especially popular between kids.
  9. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 16:242 edits
    Originally posted by kbaumen
    I've had quite a few games OTB where my opponents have been older (~65+) players. Some of these guys sometimes (yes, really) forget to push the clock. They make a move but their time is still running. Due to the fact that I play chess to play chess not to win, I prefer to remind this to them. I think it's a good thing to do, even though could be distraction. playing against someone who's eating and munching. This is especially popular between kids.
    I'm not sure I consider it my responsibility to remind my opponent to press his/her clock though. I might do it once maybe. Depends on my mood I suppose.

I agree with you about the noisy eating thing though.

On a related theme -
    I once observed an opposition player repeatedly cough directly into my team-mate's face. Not just a few little ticklers either but every 5 minutes or so this guy would go off like he had consumption (British RHPers - think Bob Fleming on the Fast Show).

Now nobody can help being ill but this guy never once tried to direct his coughing away from the board or even cover his mouth with his hand.

I wouldn't have continued the game in such circumstances. Not without a diver's helmet and some injections after the game anyway.
  10. SubscriberVery Rusty
    Treat Everyone Equal
    Halifax, Nova Scotia
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 16:262 edits
    In over the board games, the two worst things I have come across are mumbling to themselves, and gum chewing is very irritating, especially when they are making all the smacking noises they possibly can. I think these two things show poor sportsmanship.

I never say "Good Luck" I always say "Good Game" , as I would be dishonest if I said good luck, because I certainly wouldn't meant it.

In CC games I don't like the : - ) or the Ooops from my opponent after I have dropped a minor piece. I think that is very rude. Now if we have a 21 21 time , I can promise a very, very long game. where if those things had not been done, and I saw no future in the game, you would have got a Resignation from me.

P.S. You know who are, so don't do it again 😛
  11. Joined
    15 Apr '08
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 16:35
    Someone asked what they could do help win at a tournament outside of play well. I jokingly responded with this :

"No matter who your opponent is, male or female, gay or straight, flirt with them. Very slightly at first, and always nice, never vulgar, but convincingly. As the game goes on flirt more. Its a nearly guaranteed win."

Too bad its such bad sportsmanship because it would be both entertaining and useful. 🙂
  12. Joined
    06 Sep '07
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 16:54
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    As I recall you threaten to throw pieces at your opponent upon resigning 😛
    Bah, I only did that three times! and only one of those times did I let go of the pieces!
    Besides... I was drunk... which is also why I lost 🙂
  13. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    15 Apr '08 17:37
    Originally posted by EternallyIgnorant
    Someone asked what they could do help win at a tournament outside of play well. I jokingly responded with this :

"No matter who your opponent is, male or female, gay or straight, flirt with them. Very slightly at first, and always nice, never vulgar, but convincingly. As the game goes on flirt more. Its a nearly guaranteed win."

Too bad its such bad sportsmanship because it would be both entertaining and useful. 🙂
    Have you ever SEEN an OTB tournament chess player??????

Good lord... I have pretty low standards in this area but that's really a bit below the skank mark even for me

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree