1. Joined
    29 Jan '07
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 20:16
    does sportsmanship actually exist in chess? maybe after, with a "good game" and even a "well done" if you lose... but how can sportsmanship actually work within the game itself...?
  2. Joined
    21 Apr '06
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 20:30
    Originally posted by eatmybishop
    does sportsmanship actually exist in chess? maybe after, with a "good game" and even a "well done" if you lose... but how can sportsmanship actually work within the game itself...?
    Ask Nigel Short ^^

YouTube
  3. SubscriberChris Guffogg
    Alekhine's Gun
    🤔 Bolton
    Moves
    13 Apr '08 21:12
    Enough said............
  4. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 01:48
    Sportsmanship can be shown long before the traditional "good game, congratulations". During the entire game you can show respect for your opponent and the game of Chess in general by treating the contest not as the end of the world, but as a test between possible good friends over a game they both love. An in-game comment of "good play" or "this is a tough position" sets the mood for a friendly and sportsman-like game.

At the end of each game the pieces reset or go back into the box. You smile over the victory or try to learn from the loss. You order another round and toast the guy who happened to win this time.
  5. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 03:07
    Originally posted by MontyMoose
    Sportsmanship can be shown long before the traditional "good game, congratulations". During the entire game you can show respect for your opponent and the game of Chess in general by treating the contest not as the end of the world, but as a test between possible good friends over a game they both love. An in-game comment of "good play" or "this is a toug ...[text shortened]... rn from the loss. You order another round and toast the guy who happened to win this time.
    Well said!!!
  6. Joined
    31 Oct '03
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 03:10
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    Well said!!!
    You wanna play chess gaychessplayer?
  7. São Paulo, Brazil
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 03:14
    Originally posted by MontyMoose
    Sportsmanship can be shown long before the traditional "good game, congratulations". During the entire game you can show respect for your opponent and the game of Chess in general by treating the contest not as the end of the world, but as a test between possible good friends over a game they both love. An in-game comment of "good play" or "this is a toug ...[text shortened]... rn from the loss. You order another round and toast the guy who happened to win this time.
    Eh, I like to think of myself as a good sportsman, but an in-game comment in an OTB tournament game would annoy the hell out of me. Especially if the position is actually tough. =P
  8. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 03:49
    Originally posted by Heroic Metool
    Eh, I like to think of myself as a good sportsman, but an in-game comment in an OTB tournament game would annoy the hell out of me. Especially if the position is actually tough. =P
    agreed, i was about to write something near this (but with spelling errors)
    its a poor sport to talk, mumble, or do any distracting stuff during a game..
    ive only been to an OTB USCF a few times, but the 1st time an older player was playing a criminal looking guy, .. the older guy was commenting to himself and the other guy yelled KEEP IT TO YOURSELF!! 😠
    i nearly poohd myself 😞

theres a bunch of cheap tricks, including deep breathing..
  9. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 04:15
    I agree that one should never speak to their opponent in a tournament game except to say "adjust", to resign, to offer a draw, or to accept or decline a draw offer.
  10. Joined
    22 Aug '06
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 04:161 edit
    Originally posted by kenan
    You wanna play chess gaychessplayer?
    Consider your challenge accepted! 🙂
  11. Joined
    31 Oct '03
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 04:17
    Originally posted by gaychessplayer
    Sounds good!
    challenged you.

play fast though. 😛
  12. Joined
    01 Sep '07
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 04:412 edits
    I may forget occasionally, but I have tried to make a habit of always messaging opponenets on this site with "Hello and good game to you." or something to that effect upon my first move.
    Interesting how many don't respond- OK, so people are here to play chess and not chat during games, but I tend to consider it a form of online pre-game handshake.

I would NEVER not offer or accept a handshake before or after an OTB game, win or lose.

As a teacher, I'm the sponser of my high school's chess club. Poor sportsmanship and good manners are a big issue with me, as a teacher and chess advisor, especially when dealing with teenagers- half the kids I teach won't say please or thank you for anything. During a recent blitz tournament, a "better" player commented that the move his opponent had just made was stupid as he recaptured. Given I was right there and heard it, I stopped the clock and awarded the game to his opponent, citing the code of conduct outlined in our tournament rules. He was pissed, but I REALLY don't want people developing and perpetuating attitudes like that in my classroom.
  13. Joined
    31 Oct '03
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 04:59
    i don't really like chat during play unless I am very good friends with the person but I usually say good luck.
  14. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 18:57
    but an in-game comment in an OTB tournament game would annoy the hell out of me.
    Absolutely correct. I only play on-line chess, so I had in mind the message opponent feature here at RHP. I see the phrase "pieces back in the box" could cause confusion. My bad.
  15. Joined
    06 Sep '07
    Moves
    14 Apr '08 19:181 edit
    in 75 percent of my games I always open with some form of "good luck enjoy the tourney" or just "good luck" and I get a reply about 2 out of ten times, I am not offended by people who dont respond, I know some do not wish to say anything at all, I also dont mind a chat while I play regardless of whether I am winning or losing, as long as it is obvious rude goading from my opponent (as yet I have not experienced that here).
    I try to be friendly, its just a game, a game of which I will never be good enough to take so seriously that I wish to hold my opponent in contempt, of course I dont like losing and sometimes my losses are embarrasing but I usually say good game or well played or similar.

The times I dont it is because I genuinely forgot or on a couple of occasions I have been annoyed with my opponent for fairly minor things like leaving every single move to the very last 20 minutes of their time, and another occasion an opponent did not respond to my greeting and then decided to send an email reminder nearly every move as soon as the little symbol came up despite me never going into the last day of my time on any move!

Little tiny things like that tend to annoy me more than a player who does not respond to a greeting.
    I am not sure a player should forfeit a game really for not shaking hands, I think that is going a little far, I agree it is rude and arrogant but players who do this get a bad name for themselves as unsporting, I think personally the reputation they gain for themselves is enough of a negative come back than to lose a game.

EDIT

I should point out that when I said I enjoy a chat, its not usually OTB, I dont like to be distracted too much in OTB so would rather not chat unless it is a friend

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree