stalling

stalling

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fixer

Detroit

Moves
13 Aug 07

Why do so many people stall when they are facing defeat?

It really is silly. I mean do they think it is not going to happen? I have 3-4 games where I have a sure victory and my opponent will not move fast or resign.

What are they thinking?

DMM

USA

Moves
13 Aug 07

Originally posted by 8D

It really is silly. I mean do they think it is not going to happen? I have 3-4 games where I have a sure victory and my opponent will not move fast or resign.

What are they thinking?
They want there rating to go up a bit before they lose.

anybody seen my

underpants??

Moves
13 Aug 07

maybe they are hoping to win another game soon, so it doesn't have to big an effect on there rating. The better your rating the better games you'll draw.

Just a thought.

s

Moves
13 Aug 07

Originally posted by 8D

What are they thinking?
they are trying to figure out the best defense so they will draw or maybe even win?

They have the full right to use as much time as has been agreed to to think on their next move, whether they're 'losing' or not.

If you don't like the speed of the game, you could try games with smaller timebanks and faster timeouts.

Fixer

Detroit

Moves
13 Aug 07

Originally posted by duecer
maybe they are hoping to win another game soon, so it doesn't have to big an effect on there rating. The better your rating the better games you'll draw.

Just a thought.
I like to go through and clear out my loses or games that I have completely blundered every so often.

I guess I do not see the point of dragging it out.

As far as ratings. You are going to end up where you belong. My hope is to get to 1500. I do not see me ever getting to 1900+ range because it will take too much of my time to study.

DF
Lord of all beasts

searching for truth

Moves
13 Aug 07

Originally posted by 8D

What are they thinking?
They are waiting for you to stop moving and leave the site so they can win on time.

N

The sky

Moves
13 Aug 07
1 edit

Originally posted by 8D
It's a common and probably natural psychological strategy - "if I ignore it, maybe it'll go away". It's not rational and rarely successful, but people (and I am certainly not excluding myself there) do it all the time in many areas of life. At least it doesn't have disastrous consequences in chess - it's worse if you don't go to the doctor until it's too late because you are afraid of the result of an examination, or if people ignore political changes leading to a dictatorship and/or war.

m

Moves
13 Aug 07

What Nordlys said and possibly they are taking advice from US CC Champion Ed Duliba who advised you should be a real snot and take as long as possible to move and try to be the last to finish in a tournament. If you have a lost position he advised to play at least 6 months past the time you would normally resign. His reason: it will annoy and frustrate your opponent. Hopefully they’ll get angry and start making mistakes.

D

Moves
13 Aug 07

Every so often people just stop playing. It happens EveryDay.

Ok that was a horrible pun, sorry.

Game 3639485 is a rare situation. My opponent had just offered a draw. I didn't accept right away, and soon he was banned for computer use. I had suspected this possibility, which is why I had been procastinating. The game is officially still ongoing, so please don't comment on the gameplay.

I have mixed feelings about slow play. It's clearly legal. For some folks it's just their style of play, and for others it's a way of dealing with a bit-too-high gameload. Some folks play for stalemate, and this even works on occasion at amateur levels. But it's kinda cheesy to only play on in hopes of a timely "heart attack".

m

Moves
13 Aug 07

I see it as more of a bother for non subscribers. I usually have enough games to think about that if someone wants to stall in a totally lost position fine by me, If I get bored enough I just go and start more games. But for a non-sub, who can only play 6 games or whatever it is at a time, that would be pretty annoying. Also if I am in a bad position I usually do play slower, mostly because its really hard to find a good move.

D

Moves
13 Aug 07
1 edit

[b] I have done that before. When my opponent moves are slow and sporadic I will sometimes drag out the game to hope for a timeout. But, I by no means wait as long as possible with my clock ticking. I move frequently if they are on, I just won't resign. 😳

Edit - so technically, I don't stall, I just cross my fingers and hope for a timeout. 😀