1. Joined
    25 Sep '04
    Moves
    19 Jan '06 12:33
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    The 5th edition came out a few years ago (2003). Rule 15A states, in part, "Algebraic notation is standard, but descriptive or computer notation is permitted."
    Thanks. It's good to know I'm legal again.
  2. Hainesport, NJ, USA
    Moves
    19 Jan '06 21:03
    Why call it "algabraic"? It has nothing to do with algebra. It should be called "alpha-numeric."
  3. Standard memberAThousandYoung
    or different places
    tinyurl.com/2tp8tyx8
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 05:33
    Originally posted by hardyrules
    Hi,

Will someone please unequivically indicate what is the standard as far as notation for games goes. It seems there are three types, namely algebraic, descriptive and coordinate.

I have borrowed Staunton's Handbook (which was apparently seminal 100 years ago), but his notation seems dated now - I think he uses descriptive, eg. P-K4 etc.

What ...[text shortened]... a destination square, but no indiaction of which piece moves!?

Thanks in advance...

Russ.
    What's the difference between algebraic and coordinate?
  4. Standard memberRedmike
    Godless Commie
    Glasgow
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 09:521 edit
    Originally posted by AThousandYoung
    What's the difference between algebraic and coordinate?
    Algebraic has letters along the files and numbers on the ranks - so the bottom left hand square from White's point of view is a1, top right is h8.

In co-ordinate notation, both are numbers - so the bottom left is 11 and the top right is 88.

So, moving a pawn from e2 to e4 is just e4 in algebraic (e2-e4 in full algebraic), but 5254 in co-ordinate. (P-K4 in descriptive).

Co-ordinate notation was only ever used in correspondence chess, I guess because not every player was familiar with the sequence of letters a-h.
  5. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    20 Jan '06 12:32
    Originally posted by buddy2
    Why call it "algabraic"? It has nothing to do with algebra. It should be called "alpha-numeric."
    In fact, when I teach chess to third graders, the chess lessons build on their math lessons where they learn about coordinates and grids. The same part of the brain that processes algebra is stimulated when using algebraic notation.

"Alpha-numeric" is an awkward term that does not please the ear. The term algebraic is logical and describes well the layout of the board along ranks and files.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree