1. Joined
    29 Jun '06
    Moves
    07 Apr '10 23:03
    I've head (read) greenpawn34 saying that he sets some traps sometimes (or often). I always wanted to do that, but I'm not a good enough player to do that I think. However, in this game I think I managed to set one trap that won me the game. The trap that I'm talking about is 23.Rfd8. maybe there were better moves but there was a chance that my opponent would grab the pawn and he did.
    Please, let me know what do you think about it.
    I think I could do it mainly because my opponent was about 150 points lower rated. (And maybe because I was up in material...)
    My second request, please, give me some advice on learning to set some traps.
    Game 7273069
  2. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    08 Apr '10 01:081 edit
    Very often, I think traps are a side benefit of knowing an opening thoroughly- not memorized moves, but rather themes and plans, and tactical and strategic ideas associated with the opening.

I seems that every opening has nuances where your opponent has moves available that superficially look attractive, but are flawed. The player who knows his opening well is always aware of these moves, and plays his opening in such a way as to provide the maximum opportunity for the other guy to go wrong, and jumps at the chance to take advantage when they do.

This also applies to endings- if the other guy doesn't know why a move is bad, or even that it could be bad, the seeds of a trap are already planted.

Paul
  3. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '10 01:21
    Originally posted by Guych
    I've head (read) greenpawn34 saying that he sets some traps sometimes (or often). I always wanted to do that, but I'm not a good enough player to do that I think. However, in this game I think I managed to set one trap that won me the game. The trap that I'm talking about is 23.Rfd8. maybe there were better moves but there was a chance that my opponent would g ...[text shortened]... econd request, please, give me some advice on learning to set some traps.
    Game 7273069
    Winning Chess Traps, by Chernev
    Great book IMO
  4. Joined
    29 Aug '09
    Moves
    08 Apr '10 01:22
    If you are hoping to set traps for your opponent .

When your opponent threatens something ...anything doesn`t matter what.
    Don`t stop the threat.
    Instead make a catch at the end.
  5. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    08 Apr '10 01:33
    Originally posted by National Master Dale
    If you are hoping to set traps for your opponent .

When your opponent threatens something ...anything doesn`t matter what.
    Don`t stop the threat.
    Instead make a catch at the end.
    So true! Sometimes the threat isn't really a threat at all; it is a blunder disguised with bluster.

We could almost say that, to one degree or another, every trap features either a blunder that really isn't or a threat that really isn't. To the victim, things do not appear as they truly are until it is too late.
  6. Joined
    26 Jan '10
    Moves
    08 Apr '10 03:06
    Originally posted by Guych
    I've head (read) greenpawn34 saying that he sets some traps sometimes (or often). I always wanted to do that, but I'm not a good enough player to do that I think
    Just a minor comment on your excellent game:

1. d4 d5 2. Bg5 c5?

Would have been a fine example of a trap in your game as black is in a huge amount of trouble after: 3. dxc5!

Anyway, the point of this post was to encourage you to start small. Start by luring players into personally familiar territory. An example from one of the last games I played:

Game 7307913

Notably:

7. e3 Nh5

The idea or 'trap' here is to make white think they are gaining the upper hand by 'winning' a move with a safe attack on the Queen

The true purpose of the move is to try and force an exchange:

8. Bg5 Nf6
    9. (Pretty much any move other than BxN) h6

In this case USArmyParatrooper declined the exchange and traded a piece for two pawns
  7. Joined
    29 Jun '06
    Moves
    08 Apr '10 23:33
    Thanks to everyone for the advices, book recommendations, games examples.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree