1. The Smoke
    Moves
    10 Jun '09 18:47
    Originally posted by Big Orange Country
    ...<zip zap> ..But the last time I checked, it doesn't matter how one wins. ..<zip zap>...I'm sure he scolds/forum bans people all the time for insulting others. Oh, the hipocrisy.
    ..nor should it matter how one plays, i.e. back to your own original question..

i.e. I'm with FabianFnas on this.
  2. Standard memberPhlabibit
    Mystic Meg
    tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4
    Moves
    10 Jun '09 19:06
    I assumed jackass number 1 was referring to the time after I exchanged down. Now that jackass number two has backed up that far, yes, that is the easiest win. But the last time I checked, it doesn't matter how one wins. For me, it took much less thought to go my way, and I'd like to keep it that way. And that guy's a moderator on this site? I'm sure he scolds/forum bans people all the time for insulting others. Oh, the hipocrisy.
    See what assumption gets you?

P-
  3. Joined
    04 Jun '09
    Moves
    10 Jun '09 20:20
    whatever to all
    phlababit, your an administrator, right?
    please delete this thread. it's become full of garbage.
  4. The Smoke
    Moves
    10 Jun '09 22:15
    please delete this thread. it's become full of garbage.
    yeah... first we litter 😉 well, to be fair it wasn't all that considerate and what goes around, comes around...
  5. Joined
    04 Jun '09
    Moves
    10 Jun '09 22:28
    Originally posted by Renars
    yeah... first we litter 😉 well, to be fair it wasn't all that considerate and what goes around, comes around...
    and now in all honesty i wasn't trying to put the guy down for how he was playing. I was merely noting that the calibur of play did not match the calibur of the rating and wanted opinions on whether some foul play was at work. at the time, oddly enough, it never occurred to me that the guy might just be having one bad game or something like that, and then jackass number one comes on and calls me a "weak" player based on how I won the game.
  6. Blighty
    Moves
    10 Jun '09 23:01
    and now in all honesty i wasn't trying to put the guy down for how he was playing. I was merely noting that the calibur of play did not match the calibur of the rating and wanted opinions on whether some foul play was at work. at the time, oddly enough, it never occurred to me that the guy might just be having one bad game or something like that, ...[text shortened]... nd then jackass number one comes on and calls me a "weak" player based on how I won the game.
    Are you a reincarnation of a former member?
  7. Joined
    04 Jun '09
    Moves
    11 Jun '09 03:06
    Originally posted by Surtism
    Are you a reincarnation of a former member?
    no, why?
  8. Joined
    17 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Jun '09 04:402 edits
    I'm still convinced there are many players who only play people two or three hundred points lower than them, and such are much much weaker than their rating indicates.
  9. Joined
    06 May '08
    Moves
    11 Jun '09 07:57
    from the final position, i can only find a mating line in exactly 8 moves.
    regardless of what white does,
    ... Re3
    ... Kd3
    ... Ke4
    ... d3
    ... d2
    ... d1=Q (+, depending on where the white king is)
    ... Qd2+
    ... Re1#

If I didn't make it clear in my last post, lemme try to restate myself.
    yes, Re3+ then Rd3 is the fastest winning line fro ...[text shortened]... mes faster with promotion instead of the K and R mate jackass number 1 seemed to be advocating.
    That's the fastest one I could find involving pawn promotion, however...

Black to move. Mate in 6. (I took the liberty of playing white's 54th move, Kf2.)
  10. Joined
    11 Nov '05
    Moves
    11 Jun '09 08:20
    Originally posted by Meadows
    That's the fastest one I could find involving pawn promotion, however...

[fen]8/8/8/8/3p4/r7/2k2K2/8 b - - 0 54[/fen]

Black to move. Mate in 6. (I took the liberty of playing white's 54th move, Kf2.)
    I found
    1 ... Kd1 as the first black move, continued by
    2 Kf1 Ra2
    3 Kg1 (forced) Ke1
    4 Kh1 (forced) Kf2
    5 Kh2 (forced) Ra3
    6 Kh1 mate
    but this doesn't require a promotion.
  11. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    11 Jun '09 08:37
    Originally posted by tamuzi
    I'm still convinced there are many players who only play people two or three hundred points lower than them, and such are much much weaker than their rating indicates.
    That's why there is a special equation we use to establish ratings. Even if your statement made any sense it would have to be the majority of people doing this for it to affect the average.

Your statement doesn't make any sense because if a player wins 80% against weaker players(200 points below) they will have the same rating(roughly) if they score 50%-60%(didn't actually do the math just using logic) against players only +- 50 elo points.
  12. e4
    Moves
    11 Jun '09 10:00
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    That's why there is a special equation we use to establish ratings. Even if your statement made any sense it would have to be the majority of people doing this for it to affect the average.

Your statement doesn't make any sense because if a player wins 80% against weaker players(200 points below) they will have the same rating(roughly) if they score 50%-60%(didn't actually do the math just using logic) against players only +- 50 elo points.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who was confused by that statement.

I think he means players who only play, say under 1400 players
    in challenges so their grades only increaes by 1 or 2 pts at a time.

It will take time, but Eventually they will go way over 2000 even
    though their real strength, if you can ever match such a thing by a
    number, is only 1600.

Not sure if OP's point that his opponent was a cheat playing with the
    box turned off. If not, then it's pretty close.
    (possibly makes me jackass No.3).
  13. Joined
    25 Jul '07
    Moves
    11 Jun '09 10:29
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who was confused by that statement.

number, is on ...[text shortened]... ith the
    box turned off. If not, then it's pretty close.
    (possibly makes me jackass No.3).
    I was thinking about this a while ago - I had a couple of friends at work who I played on here. They were both less experienced than me, so had lower ratings, and I won lots of games .. but I didn't win all of them. In a sample of 30 or so games, I'd make one or two bad mistakes and lose, even to 'weaker' players.

So I'd say that if someone is consistently solid enough to win 200 games in a row, even against lower rated players, they deserve the points.
  14. Dublin
    Moves
    11 Jun '09 13:46
    Originally posted by greenpawn34

number, is only 1600.
    But if they're really of 1600 strength, they'll lose some games against 1400 players and lose enough points to cover several wins. If they can win hundreds of games in a row against 1400 players, I don't think you can say that they're only of 1600 strength.
  15. Joined
    17 Feb '08
    Moves
    11 Jun '09 18:35
    It really seems that people do it though. Check through the 20 move mate list. You will see scores of games played by a relatively strong and a relatively weak player where just the knowledge of a certain gambit, or a certain sharp position puts the high ranked player ahead. (and then they constantly do it to low ranked players). Playing 80 scholars mate games against 80 different opponents who don't know of it is 80 easy wins, not 80 wins reflecting a "higher" skill.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree