1. Fågelsången
    Moves
    25 Dec '07 21:51
    What books, say three, on strategy and in what order would you recommend to players in the 1400-1800 range??
  2. Joined
    13 Dec '07
    Moves
    25 Dec '07 22:401 edit
    IM silman series reacess your chess and the ametures mind and the other ones too that silman wrote. between 1400 -1800 your level.
  3. Standard memberwittywonka
    Chocolate Expert
    Cocoa Mountains
    Moves
    26 Dec '07 01:38
    Originally posted by sydsad
    What books, say three, on strategy and in what order would you recommend to players in the 1400-1800 range??
    Well, the only strategy book I've read was Yassir Seirawan's Winning Chess Strategies. It was pretty thorough, and it improved my game a good bit. I would consider its target rating audience to be 1500.
  4. Joined
    02 Feb '07
    Moves
    27 Dec '07 19:221 edit
    Any of the following are good choices.

"Judgement and Planning in Chess" - Euwe
    "The Middlegame in Chess" - Fine
    The three volume set "Complete Chess Strategy' (or the abridged version "Modern Chess Strategy" ) - Pachman
    The two volume set "The Middlegame" - Euwe and Kramer
    "Chess Middlegame Planning" - Romanovsky

It would surprise me if there aren't many more.
  5. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    28 Dec '07 04:49
    Originally posted by AlboMalapropFoozer
    Any of the following are good choices.

"Judgement and Planning in Chess" - Euwe
    "The Middlegame in Chess" - Fine
    The three volume set "Complete Chess Strategy' (or the abridged version "Modern Chess Strategy" ) - Pachman
    The two volume set "The Middlegame" - Euwe and Kramer
    "Chess Middlegame Planning" - Romanovsky

It would surprise me if there aren't many more.
    I agree with your selection of the Euwe & Kramer book. I would like to add the new book by Neil McDonald, Chess Secrets, The Giants of Strategy.

The chapter topics reminds me of Nimzo's My System; it appears as if the author is revisiting and re-evaluting Nimzo's ideas thru games played by Nimzo, Capablanca, Kapov and Kramnkik.

I liked the book --- it was like a live lesson received from a coach, with clear and simple explainations of chess strategy. I prefer short descriptive explainations rather that robotic dumps of multiple variations, and found many gems ( "pearls of chess wisdom" ) that impressed me. In fact, I can't think of another book that presented such chess middle game strategies as well.

Of course a good chess book is one that imatches the reader's level of chess understanding. So I would think this book would be great for someone in the 1300 to 1700 range. Anyone stronger would enjoy the book though, as there are enough diagrams to read without a board.

Cheers to all

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree