1. Standard memberapathist
    looking for loot
    western colorado
    Moves
    07 Mar '18 06:05
    Strategy vs tactics. What when why how? My opinion is tactics wins, you know, push comes to shove. I rely on strategy, so I'm not happy.
  2. e4
    Moves
    07 Mar '18 22:14
    There is the Dwight D. Eisenhower quote:

"In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable."

You make a strategic plan to guide you but soon it will be
    out of the window as you have to deal with a or impose a
    tactical threat. Hopefully your pieces will be, due the strategic
    plan, on the right squares to deal with it.
  3. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    10 Mar '18 14:56
    Originally posted by @greenpawn34
    There is the Dwight D. Eisenhower quote:

"In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable."

You make a strategic plan to guide you but soon it will be
    out of the window as you have to deal with a or impose a
    tactical threat. Hopefully your pieces will be, due the strategic
    plan, on the right squares to deal with it.
    A good strategy: Plan to adapt to tactics.
  4. Standard membermchill
    Cryptic
    Behind the scenes
    Moves
    11 Mar '18 09:08
    Originally posted by @apathist
    Strategy vs tactics. What when why how? My opinion is tactics wins, you know, push comes to shove. I rely on strategy, so I'm not happy.
    Yes, tactics is very important. Regarding the What when why how? I would add another very important concept to these: Effort! The strongest players are also the ones who work hard at endgames, tactics, their opening repertoire etc.
  5. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    11 Mar '18 10:03
    Kasparov once said that playing a game of chess is like trying to paint a masterpiece while someone is tugging at your sleeve.

Many of Lasker's games exhibit a particular kind of mastery, that of carrying out long-range strategic maneuvers by means of immediate tactical threats. For example, provoking a weakness in the opponent's king position or obtaining a passer, by threatening or attacking something which the opponent must parry. Of course the threat can be parried, but the point is that the opponent must do so and is thereby prevented from doing something else which might have improved his position instead of weakening it.
  6. Joined
    06 Nov '15
    Moves
    11 Mar '18 13:56
    Originally posted by @moonbus
    Kasparov once said that playing a game of chess is like trying to paint a masterpiece while someone is tugging at your sleeve.

Many of Lasker's games exhibit a particular kind of mastery, that of carrying out long-range strategic maneuvers by means of immediate tactical threats. For example, provoking a weakness in the opponent's king position or obtaini ...[text shortened]... vented from doing something else which might have improved his position instead of weakening it.
    I love that Kasparov quote!

Especially as a patzer...I am forever required to slop paint upon the vinyl canvas. 😉
  7. Subscribermoonbus
    Über-Nerd
    Moves
    11 Mar '18 14:562 edits
    Well, at least you get it on the canvas instead of your shirt.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree