Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 05 Apr '11 11:42
    Street Fighter (Andy Burnett) won his 3rd Brilliancy prize (£50)
    at the Edinburgh Congress. (I've judged two if them!) .

    This year I was working so another bod took over.
    Think we should just scrap it and give Andy the £50 before the Congress starts.

    He saw the Queen sac and knew 99% for sure he was going to play it
    but was dying on a pee.

    He wanted to work out the finer points but just had to go to the toilet.

    Under the current climate he did not want to go to the toilet,
    come back and play a Queen sac.

    So he saw a controller, asked if he could go to the toilet during his move.
    The controller of course agreed. Andy was away for about a minute, sat down,
    re-composed himself, dug in and sacced the lady.

    He does intend to visit the forum again - just needs to remember his password.

    D. Robertson -v- A. Burnett Edinburgh Congress 2011.
    Brilliancy Prize

  2. Standard member Thabtos
    I am become Death
    05 Apr '11 14:34
    To be fair it was assisted suicide. White was already pointing Alekhine's gun at himself.
  3. 05 Apr '11 16:28
    Originally posted by Thabtos
    To be fair it was assisted suicide. White was already pointing Alekhine's gun at himself.
    Well spotted - I missed that detail.

    Nice game. I've played Burnett once OTB. In that game, he was Black.... he sac'd his queen.... and he won...
  4. 05 Apr '11 16:29
    Originally posted by Varenka
    Well spotted - I missed that detail.

    Nice game. I've played Burnett once OTB. In that game, he was Black.... he sac'd his queen.... and he won...
    Yes, but did he have to take a pottie break?
  5. 05 Apr '11 17:06
    Originally posted by Eladar
    Yes, but did he have to take a pottie break?
    After his queen sac, it was me who needed a pottie break
  6. 05 Apr '11 23:13
    When I played him he played a kind of sedate line v my KID
    which if I recall he had played against him so stored it up for a rainy day.

    Nothing really to worry the KID but against me who was expecting
    fireworks it worked a treat. (sometimes Street Fighting requires cunning).

    It was to cut out all my "sacs and tactical nonsense".

    I did eventually sac, (I was losing a piece) and lost.

    I cannot recall the full game, it was an allegro but the game before
    I had already played my brillo v Alan Tate who is most likely the
    next Scottish IM. (perhaps GM).
  7. Standard member Talisman
    Time traveller.
    06 Apr '11 15:19
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Street Fighter (Andy Burnett) won his 3rd Brilliancy prize (£50)
    at the Edinburgh Congress. (I've judged two if them!) .

    This year I was working so another bod took over.
    Think we should just scrap it and give Andy the £50 before the Congress starts.

    He saw the Queen sac and knew 99% for sure he was going to play it
    but was dying on a pee.

    H ...[text shortened]... f3 Rg4 25.Nce2 Rag8 26. Rf2 Qh4 27. Raf1 Bxf4 28. Nxf4 Qxf2
    29. Qc3+ Qd4 30. Ng6+ R8xg6[/pgn]
    Yes he's a damon fine player. I enjoyed the book he bought out a while back STREETFIGHTING CHESS.
    There was a rumour he was working on a sequal. Any ideas GP?
  8. 06 Apr '11 21:03
    He 's not mentioned anything to me 'cept another publishing
    company is interested in doing a run.

    A follow up may be an idea. He is very active (hence loads more
    good games) and trying to get into IM territory and finding he has to adapt.
    (hence the switch to 1.d4 to braden his outlook.)
    This process and his thoughts would be interesting.