1. St. Paul, Minnesota
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 03:32
    Hey, just a quick suggestion regarding your book, I wanted to google it to check it out. I had already been to the site via Chandler Cornered. But I wanted to peruse it again. Anyway, I wasn't able to locate it via google.

I'm quite ignorant when it comes to designing websites such that they stand out to google, but a couple of suggestions to the webbies, if you have convenient influence upon them, add phrases like streetfighter & street fighter on top of streetfighting & street fighting. Of course make sure that google looks for chess & book.

Planning on buying it in a month or two. I've already had quite a bit of "discretionary spending" this month.
  2. Joined
    02 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 09:24
    Originally posted by MrHand
    Hey, just a quick suggestion regarding your book, I wanted to google it to check it out. I had already been to the site via Chandler Cornered. But I wanted to peruse it again. Anyway, I wasn't able to locate it via google.

I'm quite ignorant when it comes to designing websites such that they stand out to google, but a couple of suggestions to the webb ...[text shortened]... it in a month or two. I've already had quite a bit of "discretionary spending" this month.
    That's quite strange!? I google 'Streetfighting Chess' every day (just to see if anyone has been talking about it) and it immediately comes up with a page full of hits. Mostly shops who are selling it or the website itself?!

I will have a word with my web guy though, cos at the moment it's a very basic site which definitely needs improving.

Thanks Mr Hand,
    Andy Burnett
  3. Standard memberKrapsparov
    Don't baptise cats!!
    Manchester
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 09:28
    I had no problem finding it.
    The more hits you have, it will move up to the top of Google.
    Your meta tags are ok.

Jon
  4. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 09:47
    Originally posted by Krapsparov
    I had no problem finding it.
    The more hits you have, it will move up to the top of Google.
    Your meta tags are ok.

Jon
    Yes, what I'd do to drum-up business is join a few online chess sites, play a couple of token games & ruthlessly plug your website & book every chance you get.

Now that would be a cunning tactic.
  5. Joined
    02 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 12:24
    Originally posted by Squelchbelch
    Yes, what I'd do to drum-up business is join a few online chess sites, play a couple of token games & ruthlessly plug your website & book every chance you get.

Now that would be a cunning tactic.
    Hmmm, do I detect a hint of cynicism there Squelchbelch?

I've actually been very wary of posting in threads about e.g. books/book covers/whatever - this thread was started by someone I don't know from adam, the previous thread it sort of linked to was about fileshare/illegal downloads etc. I'm hardly going to ignore these postings am I?

And of course I'm going to take every reasonable opportunity to put my book 'out there', so long as I don't feel that I'm 'using' the site or players to do so.

As for the 'token games', well, I have started playing regularly on chess.com simply because I prefer their graphics etc (and i can play while at work which i can't do with this site for technical reasons). I am playing the odd game on here to see what the standard is like. Also, time is limited so I couldn't possibly play the amount of games that some people manage to.

What else? Don't know - have I missed somehing out in this answer? Maybe just that I've written a book which will never make me rich (breaking even would be nice!), that i would like people to read and which i think will improve their chess (which most people on this forum seem to want to do?!).
  6. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 12:35
    Originally posted by streetfighter
    Hmmm, do I detect a hint of cynicism there Squelchbelch?

I've actually been very wary of posting in threads about e.g. books/book covers/whatever - this thread was started by someone I don't know from adam, the previous thread it sort of linked to was about fileshare/illegal downloads etc. I'm hardly going to ignore these postings am I?

And of c ...[text shortened]... will improve their chess (which most people on this forum seem to want to do?!).
    I was only messing with you. Good luck with the book - I understand that they virtually never make anything much in terms of profit.

Talking of problems using RHP whilst at work, I nearly got a disciplinary a while back when I was a non-sub because of the nature of some of the pop-up ads that the site was using.
    I wonder if this is still the case?
  7. Joined
    02 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 12:47
    I was only messing with you. Good luck with the book - I understand that they virtually never make anything much in terms of profit.

Talking of problems using RHP whilst at work, I nearly got a disciplinary a while back when I was a non-sub because of the nature of some of the pop-up ads that the site was using.
    Ok, no worries Squelchbelch.
    I haven't seen any dodgy pop-ups on this site yet?! But I have noticed my days flying in at work since i realised I could play on some of the sites.

Missed a horrible 1-mover yesterday though, when i rushed a move when i spotted my boss heading my way! Guess i'm a bad boy for doing this at work, but since they are a multi-billion dollar company who pay and treat most of their workers like ####, i'm not overly concerned : )
  8. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 13:23

i got this Firefox addon that stops unwanted java scripts from running, i don't get any advertisements now, even though i am non subscriber, wow!😀
  9. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 13:29
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    i got this Firefox addon that stops unwanted java scripts from running, i don't get any advertisements now, even though i am non subscriber, wow!😀
    Very few workplaces use FF as default. Downloading a rival browser onto a PC at work can also mean a disciplinary or even dismissal in certain cases.
    I use FF at home. If PC's came with it pre-installed & you had to d/l IE, I don't think anyone would bother! 🙂
  10. Account suspended
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 13:47
    Very few workplaces use FF as default. Downloading a rival browser onto a PC at work can also mean a disciplinary or even dismissal in certain cases.
    I use FF at home. If PC's came with it pre-installed & you had to d/l IE, I don't think anyone would bother! 🙂
    fight capitalism, get linux!
  11. St. Paul, Minnesota
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 13:47
    I had no trouble finding it when I googled "streetfighting"...but for some reason I had it in my mind that it was "street fighter." That is what I first searched on. It was just an idea.

Anyway, looking forward to the book.
  12. Joined
    14 Jul '06
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 15:16
    ...I will have a word with my web guy though, cos at the moment it's a very basic site which definitely needs improving...
    Under where it says
    A practical guide to attacking chess for club strength players, Streetfighting Chess will show how an aggressive approach to all aspects of the game can and will gain points. Moreover, it is designed to install in the reader a new sense of adventure and, importantly, increased enjoyment of the game.

Just underneat this I think it really needs a clickable Download a .pdf sample of the book.
    Just the contents + first 2 or 3 pages should be plenty.
  13. Joined
    02 Jul '08
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 16:29
    Under where it says
    A practical guide to attacking chess for club strength players, Streetfighting Chess will show how an aggressive approach to all aspects of the game can and will gain points. Moreover, it is designed to install in the reader a new sense of adventure and, importantly, increased enjoyment of the game.

Just underneat this I ...[text shortened]... ownload a .pdf sample of the book[/i].
    Just the contents + first 2 or 3 pages should be plenty.
    I absolutely agree!! There is supposed to be an updated version of the site up and running by now, but my web guy has been away in the USA and I can't get hold of him.

There will be a sample pdf of roughly half-a-dozen pages on it as soon as possible (I'm actually a wee bit annoyed it hasn't been done yet 😠)

Thanks for pointing it out though -as I'm not a well-known name or titled player the majority of potential book-buyers won't know what to expect 😕 - Any other suggestions are always appreciated 🙂

Andy
  14. St. Paul, Minnesota
    Moves
    23 Aug '08 22:52
    I absolutely agree!! There is supposed to be an updated version of the site up and running by now, but my web guy has been away in the USA and I can't get hold of him.

There will be a sample pdf of roughly half-a-dozen pages on it as soon as possible (I'm actually a wee bit annoyed it hasn't been done yet 😠)

Thanks for pointing it out though - ...[text shortened]... yers won't know what to expect 😕 - Any other suggestions are always appreciated 🙂

Andy
    A little more about you (the author) might be good? ELO, though I could see the drawbacks to keeping that current.
  15. e4
    Moves
    24 Aug '08 00:32
    Hi Street Fighter,

If you send me a couple of sample pages in WORD format.
    I can post it on the Corner and you can link to there.

Dave Goddard round today to sort out fridge problem.

Put him onto your book and believe he going to order a copy soon.
    Would not do that to a good friend if I did not think it was a good book.
    Which it is. Entertaining, Instructive and Thought Provoking.

My book out soon (September). I'm going to approach every club
    in Scotland with the offer of a free demonstration/lecture using
    games from the book.

It's an idea you could use. Pick two games to show and off you go.
    You sell signed copies after the lecture.

Approach CS and see if they want to buy 100 copies to give free
    to their juniors (they bought 130 copies of my first book).

Expect a Christmas rush when the players who bought the book
    will suddenly get better and others who have not yet got it will need
    to catch up.

The easiest chess books to sell are opening books.
    Most are regurgitated trash.

They sell in their 100's to the sheep and shift their grades
    up by 10 points, but set them back, chess wise, 10 years.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree