1. Palmerston North
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 04:19
    What should a good GM/IM study on chess?

egs Opening, Middle-game, End-game, Overall...
  2. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 04:30
    Originally posted by Knight Square

What? After looking through one of your games....YOU should study tactics, and that's about all for now. After you stop dropping pieces I'd say to move on to the middlegame/endgame.
  3. Joined
    20 Apr '06
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 04:58

im not sure, but i think the top players, spend alot keeping up with opening theory and innovations. if that isnt too demanding id guess that they keep theyre skills sharp by playing and maybe study endings. and then there are periodicles to read. i wonder if they still play over classic games once they reach that level?
  4. Joined
    03 Jun '06
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 07:051 edit

There is a moto, You have to learn first end game because it will help you to choose the kind of end game that you want to reach at the middle game after your opening and then you have to study the middle game because it will help you to choose what kind of middle game you want to reach and then choose the opening that will go to the middle game and the end game that fit you.
  5. Stockholm, Sweden
    Moves
    04 Jun '06 07:431 edit
    Learning "backwards" will give you the possibility of using the advantages you got in earlier phases of the game. But I believe you must train them all.

I guess IM/GMs' train alot in everything they don't already know =)

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree