1. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 21:06
    my style of play involves (mind, I'm not very good at my style, but I am really trying to improve it.) closing off the position, playing positionally, and opening it back up again at a time of my choosing. if my opponent insists on staying aggressive, then I play defense until his attack has exhausted itself. then I counter-attack. my threefold question is this:
    1.) how can I improve my positional understanding
    2.) how can I improve how I defend (there are several pieces of work on how to attack, and mating tactics and such, but how do I build the best defense from any given position?)
    3.) what is the most closed response to 1. e4?
    I'm thinking Modern, but I'm open to suggestions.
  2. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 21:10
    Lot of questions.. wow.

Hard to have a genuine 'style' in chess.. it's usually just about chosing the best moves.

When you have significant options your best bet is to stick to general principles about chess.

When there are STILL options available... take the most agressive one 😉.
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 21:19
    Originally posted by ih8sens
    Lot of questions.. wow.

Hard to have a genuine 'style' in chess.. it's usually just about chosing the best moves.

When you have significant options your best bet is to stick to general principles about chess.

When there are STILL options available... take the most agressive one 😉.
    that's a style, and yours and mine differ.
    you take the aggressive approach every time the opportunity presents itself.
    That's probably because you enjoy Tal so much.
    I, on the other hand, prefer to make the passively aggressive move. the move that makes my aggressive opponent's life difficult. I have zero problem playing defense. I prefer counter-attack to attack.
    THAT is style difference.
  4. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 21:22
    Well 1. e4, c6 or Nf6 are both pretty closed while still being borderline tactical for when you want it.

Actually... Nf6 is pretty good, I don't face it often but the games are often quite fun and reasonably counterattackingly positional 😛.
  5. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 21:25
    play 1...c6 if you want closed.
    If white exchanges on d5...you'll be fine.
  6. Standard memberchessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 21:27
    There are many books on defending...

such as..."The art of defense in chess"

..."How to defend in chess"

etc etc....
  7. Joined
    08 Nov '07
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 21:29
    Originally posted by rubberjaw30
    my style of play involves (mind, I'm not very good at my style, but I am really trying to improve it.) closing off the position, playing positionally, and opening it back up again at a time of my choosing. if my opponent insists on staying aggressive, then I play defense until his attack has exhausted itself. then I counter-attack. my threefold question ...[text shortened]... what is the most closed response to 1. e4?
    I'm thinking Modern, but I'm open to suggestions.
    My thoughts on your questions, by order asked:

1. Read some good books on chess strategy, such as "Best lessons of a chess coach", "Simple Chess" by Stean, or "My System".

2. In order to defend properly you must first know how to attack. Study tactics and read "The Art of the Checkmate".

3. Don't know about "the most closed", but the Accelerated Dragon often leads to very closed positions that feature the Maroczy bind. Lots of quiet positional maneouvering in that line of the Sicilian.
  8. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 21:301 edit

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

9. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 21:39
    Originally posted by chessisvanity
    play 1...c6 if you want closed.
    If white exchanges on d5...you'll be fine.
    I already play the Kann all the time.
    and the reason I'm looking for something more, is I have no response for the following line, which is forced.

1. e4 c6
    2. d4 d5
    3. exd5 cxd5
    4. c4 Nf6
    and then most anything white plays, I have trouble with. this position scores astonishingly well for white, considering its a main line.
    I can't even ever equalize! if someone can help me out with this line, so that I can at least achieve equality, I'd love to keep playing it.
  10. Joined
    08 Nov '07
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 21:431 edit
    The post that was quoted here has been removed
    Sort of agree. At Master level players have both a strong positional and tactical understanding, but tend to lean more toward one or the other, out of preference, and that is their style. At non-Master level (but beyond novice level), the player's understanding in certain facets of the game lags well beyond their understanding of other aspects; maybe they have good endgame technique, or sharp tactical ability but no positional understanding. So at Amateur level they prefer early endings, or sharp tactical melees not purely out of preference, but because this plays more to their strengths. In practice, though, this still pretty strongly resembles style.
  11. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 21:46
    I already play the Kann all the time.
    and the reason I'm looking for something more, is I have no response for the following line, which is forced.

1. e4 c6
    2. d4 d5
    3. exd5 cxd5
    4. c4 Nf6
    and then most anything white plays, I have trouble with. this position scores astonishingly well for white, considering its a main line.
    I can't even ever ...[text shortened]... me out with this line, so that I can at least achieve equality, I'd love to keep playing it.
    i play the caro-kann as my main e4 response, and the real main line is Game 4302205

the most important thing to do in that c4 line is to take advantage of the IQP
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 22:001 edit
    playing against stronger opposition (actually, I recommend GM level engines) puts you on the defense right after the opening, and you really feel you just have to defend properly, and you slowly improve in that area.

I don't think checkmating problems will help defending. of course, they will on a tactical level, but if you play against GM level opponents a lot, you'll feel that move by move, they begin to get to you, and you have to stop getting them closer each time. it's not all about checkmating. that's the worst and the most desperate thing to worry about while you are defending.
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 22:04
    Originally posted by jvanhine
    i play the caro-kann as my main e4 response, and the real main line is Game 4302205

the most important thing to do in that c4 line is to take advantage of the IQP
    oh yes, I am very well acquainted with the main line...
    but I can't ever survive long enough TO take advantage of the IQP
  14. Joined
    26 Jun '06
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 22:06
    oh yes, I am very well acquainted with the main line...
    but I can't ever survive long enough TO take advantage of the IQP
    i know what you mean, i tested a few lines myself and didnt like the black side.. want to practice it with me?
  15. Standard memberFreidenker
    Mad scientist
    Québec
    Moves
    14 Dec '07 22:12
    I think we both have a similar style.

1.) By looking at annotated games of GM like Kramnik and Karpov, and by understanding endgames. When you know what kind of positions you can win in the endgame, it's much easier to understand the position in the middlegame and even in the opening.

2.) By playing against crazy aggressive players ready to sacrifice a piece just for fun 🙂

3.) I played the modern for some time, it's a good opening, too aggressive for me, and it transposes to the King's Indian sometime. Now I play the Caro-Kann and the French against 1.e4. Some lines in the Alekhine's defense are also very positional and closed.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree