1. Standard memberdzirilli
    Duchampion
    Moves
    15 Apr '09 20:34

I was black in this game. I concentrated on a passed pawn, and my opponent resigned when I made it a queen. Did my opponent make an obvious blunder? Did he miss a blunder on my part? I'd love to know what people think of this game.
  2. Standard memberDiet Coke
    Forum Vampire
    Sidmouth, Uk
    Moves
    15 Apr '09 20:503 edits
    24. Rxb7+ Ka6 25. Ra4+ Qa5 26. Rxa5+ Kxa5 27. Qc7+ Ka6/Ka4 28. Qxc6+ with mate to follow quickly.

24. Rxb7+ Ka5 25. Qc7+ Ka6 26. Ra4+ Qa5 27. Qxc6#

29. Rb3+ looks better than the move he played
  3. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    15 Apr '09 21:52
    19. Rad1 seems better than Rae1 then R back to d1 on the next move.

(doubling rooks on the d-file looks good for White to me)
  4. Standard memberJonathanB of London
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    London
    Moves
    15 Apr '09 21:541 edit
    Originally posted by Diet Coke
    24. Rxb7+ Ka6 25. Ra4+ Qa5 26. Rxa5+ Kxa5 27. Qc7+ Ka6/Ka4 28. Qxc6+ with mate to follow quickly.

5. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    15 Apr '09 23:46
    Originally posted by Dem Ravenburg
    Heres one that I made a total sham of the ending but Im sure I could of finished it alot sooner i just couldn't see the lines, any help? I was playing white.
    8.a3?!
    For some time, Black has been attacking the White c4 pawn. White needs to have a response to dxc4 and up until now White did indeed have this in hand. But with 8.a3, maybe White forgot about the c4 pawn and how to respond to dxc4.

9.e4
    This highlights that White doesn't appear to be considering dxc4 for Black.

12.b4?!
    Prior to playing b4, did you notice any combinational motives? e.g. after Bg5, Black's queen is feeling a bit short of moves, though still enough to survive; White can open the c file via cxb5; and Black has two "loose" pieces on the c-file. You need to spot such things and use them to direct your calculation.
    "LPDO - Loose Pieces Drop Off" - GM John Nunn

31.Bxd4?
    This is too materialistic - you grab the pawn, but give up much more compensation in return.
    - you surrender the bishop pair, but more importantly, Black is allowed to swap off his poor knight for a good bishop. Compare 31.Bh3 and already the bishop is eyeing Bd7 followed by Bxc6.
    - you open the d-file for Black to utilise; look at the path the Black rook on a8 now takes to become active
    - you allow a Black rook to come to the d-file

In short, with Bxd4 you allow your opponent back into the game. Just look at 31.Bh3 and ask yourself what Black can do. White would then gain material without losing control.

33.Rh6
    Initially this looks like the start of a good idea: Rh6 + Rf4 + Rxh7 etc. But did White consider what Black would be doing in the meantime? The following move 34.Bb2 is inconsistent with 33.Rh6. Instead, 33.Bf6 had to be played so that White could follow up with Rf4, etc. The outcome of this is that putting the rook on h6 turns out to be very bad for White, but in itself, 33.Rh6 was not a bad move if it had been followed up consistently. Either that, or it was played without an idea to support it.

Overall, I get an impression of both players playing without sufficient attention to what the other may do.
  6. Joined
    26 Oct '08
    Moves
    16 Apr '09 00:283 edits
    Originally posted by Dem Ravenburg
    Heres one that I made a total sham of the ending but Im sure I could of finished it alot sooner i just couldn't see the lines, any help? I was playing white.

Your are too meterialist, on the move 24. you need to think about where the queen will retreat. of course he can't take the fook now, but after 26. Qf6 he could have gone Ng4 then gxh5 and your are a rook down for nothing in return.

Qf4 was better

I agree chasing the queen is fun, but being too capitalism is not good.

By the way, i have lost ffour games, if not too much trouble, they should be analysed.

Game 5725206

Game 5677542

Game 5721274

Game 5677541
  7. Standard memberdzirilli
    Duchampion
    Moves
    16 Apr '09 02:30
    Thank you, Jonathan and Coke! I thought it was dangerous to have my king out from under the pawns, and you proved me right.
  8. Joined
    04 Feb '08
    Moves
    16 Apr '09 14:23
    Thanks Varenka and Sophy 🙂

D.
  9. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    16 Apr '09 15:52
    I like this thread, but I think anyone who posts a game for analysis (myself included) should do a little work on their own first. At the very least, posters should pick out a particular move they were either skeptical of or unclear about, and try to articulate the ideas behind the move as best they can. That way, anyone providing analysis has something to start from. Otherwise, I predict a deluge of games and very little analysis.

I'll try and get an example together later today. Let's try to keep this useful thread alive!
  10. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    16 Apr '09 23:022 edits
    Originally posted by Sophy
    Game 5725206
    When you play openings such as the Pirc, King's Indian Defence, etc., understanding the role of Black's fianchetto bishop is very important. It usually plays a key role in the subsequent middlegame.
    - watch for ideas by White to swap this bishop off; White's own dark squared bishop is often used to oppose/attack Black's bishop and initiate a swap
    - be aware of opportunities to open the a1/h8 diagonal
    - the mobility of Black's e and f pawns often allow Black to push these pawns forward, gaining space and/or opening the diagonal for the bishop
    - you often want to play on the side that you're strongest on (e.g. compare the number of pawns opposing each other). For Black here, it is on the kigside. White may try to counter on the queenside.

With these ideas in mind, consider the position prior to 12...Bd7?!.

12...Nxe3 is better here. Why...
    - if Black's f-pawn is ever going to f5, the knight on f5 needs to make up its mind what it's doing. Since it just came from e7, I don't see any great squares for it to go to. So swapping off this knight is fine for Black.
    - Black's fianchetto bishop is happy than his opposing piece in the White camp is gone. If Black's bishop gets to open fire on the long diagonal, the main "antidote" is gone
    - Black may plan to "play on the dark squares". Nxe3 forces White to reply fxe3, putting a weak pawn on e3 (a dark square). Then, the Black queen is ready to go to b6, hitting e3 and b2. Black's bishop may also go to h6 to hit e3. Also, if Black succeeds in playing f5 - and maybe e4 too - White's lone bishop is not a happy piece. Such is the effect of White not maintaining his dark squared bishop in this position

So, 12...Nxe3, fxe3, Nxe4, Nxe4, f5, Nc3, Qb6 is much better for Black.

17...a6?!
    Again, f5 is what the position requires.

20...Rb8?!
    This is an interesting move because superficially it looks fine. But digging just a little deeper, we see that if White then play Rxf8+, Black must response Rxf8. Notice, it's almost as if the move Rb8 didn't happen and Black skipped a move. If you do see such a line, ask yourself if you can play an intermediate move that can't be cancelled out. If Black had played, e.g., 20...Bh6, then after Rxf8+, Rxf8 we have the same position as the game accept that Black's bishop is on h6 and that's a useful move to get in while anticipating White's Rxf8+

22.Bb5 resigns ??
    Why resign? I see that Black's bishop on d7 can be protected by the rook, so maybe you thought that White's a-pawn had an unstoppable path to promotion?! Maybe the b pawn too?! If so, then even without analysing anything, the position still warrants your opponent to "show it in practice". And under objective analysis, I think Black can stop White's plan (e.g. Rd8, a4, Bh6, etc).
  11. Joined
    26 Oct '08
    Moves
    17 Apr '09 01:411 edit
    Thanks for the analyse, I feel like i can start the playing the pirc defense when someone play e4 or d4 again. I will take my lesson on the pawn structure. very usefull.

I notice black, he has fine pieces, but has to stopped three pawn, hoverer, I don't think white is able to promote them, The e3 pawn is very weak and its death will bring two passed pawns.

I resign in a good position, thinking that I could not stopped the promotion.
  12. Joined
    15 Jan '08
    Moves
    17 Apr '09 03:331 edit

Analyze please 🙂
    i know one error was allowing his h pawn all the way down on turn 15.
    His rating is about 2022 and i played black.
    thanks!
  13. Joined
    26 Oct '08
    Moves
    17 Apr '09 03:56
    First of all, Qxd5 in the counter gambit falkeer is not a good move.
  14. Joined
    15 Jan '08
    Moves
    17 Apr '09 04:371 edit
    Originally posted by Sophy
    First of all, Qxd5 in the counter gambit falkeer is not a good move.
    Why???
  15. e4
    Moves
    17 Apr '09 12:30
    Originally posted by jman566
    Why???
    Precisely.

Why??

Sophy you posted this:

"First of all, Qxd5 in the counter gambit falkeer is not a good move."

Why?

If you have an opinion about a move in an opening then explain your reasoning.
    I know the reason why but the person who played it obviously does not.
    When should he not play Qxd5.

On the 3rd move, the 10th move, the 15th move...When?

Maybe you mean on move 5.

1. e4 e5 2. f4 d5 3. exd5 Nf6 4. Qf3 Nxd5 5. Qxd5

So if he can win the Queen by Qxd5 he should not play this.

See how unlcear things can be if you do not explain yourself.

Diat Coke you posted this:

29. Rb3+ looks better than the move he played

What on earth are you talking about?

Joanthan from London yoou posted this.

19. Rad1 seems better than Rae1 then R back to d1 on the next move.

(doubling rooks on the d-file looks good for White to me)

Again another pointless post.

If you are going to discuss or offer analys then add a diagram.
    or at the very least tell us what game you are talking about.

And if I sound angry, sorry, it's not your fault.

I've just seen Romanticus's notes to a game posted by PB76 and
    I've seen his response.

I'm fairly frothing at the mouth.
    These two are going to get it in the neck.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree