Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 21 Apr '09 14:01
    Seems easy enough,right?Well,three times now I had this endgame (me with the pawns) and each time I drew.I'm now practising it against fritz but without success so far.
    Try it if you're up to the challenge

White to move
  2. Standard member wormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    21 Apr '09 15:47
    Originally posted by Romanticus
    Seems easy enough,right?Well,three times now I had this endgame (me with the pawns) and each time I drew.I'm now practising it against fritz but without success so far.

White to move
    [fen]8/r7/6Pk/5R1P/8/6K1/8/8 w - - 0 1[/fen]
    "all rook endgames are drawn."
  3. 21 Apr '09 15:57
    Originally posted by wormwood
    "all rook endgames are drawn."
    LOL! Yeah,I keep telling myself that
    This one is a win though,just hard to achieve.
  4. Standard member PBE6
    Bananarama
    21 Apr '09 16:01
    Originally posted by Romanticus

White to move
    [fen]8/r7/6Pk/5R1P/8/6K1/8/8 w - - 0 1[/fen]
    I'm terrible at endgames, but I'm ordering Silman's Complete Endgame Course tonight, I swear!!

And now for my cheater, cheater, pants on fire routine... www.shredderchess.com calls this a win in 35. You can input the problem here:

http://www.shredderchess.com/online-chess/online-databases/endgame-database.html

Interesting! It seems that with correct play, neither the king nor the rook can take the h-pawn without letting the g-pawn run loose, forcing an eventual exchange of rooks. Honestly, I'd be S.O.L. in this position OTB.
  5. 21 Apr '09 18:32
    had no idea how tough this was until i exchanged down in to what i had thought was a won position after a horribly complex (to me) rook ending. I did win but my opponent did miss a draw in the process. Game 6174697