1. Joined
    30 Mar '09
    Moves
    21 Apr '09 14:01
    Seems easy enough,right?Well,three times now I had this endgame (me with the pawns) and each time I drew.I'm now practising it against fritz but without success so far.
    Try it if you're up to the challenge 🙂

White to move
  2. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    21 Apr '09 15:47
    Originally posted by Romanticus
    Seems easy enough,right?Well,three times now I had this endgame (me with the pawns) and each time I drew.I'm now practising it against fritz but without success so far.

White to move
    [fen]8/r7/6Pk/5R1P/8/6K1/8/8 w - - 0 1[/fen]
    "all rook endgames are drawn." 🙂
  3. Joined
    30 Mar '09
    Moves
    21 Apr '09 15:57
    Originally posted by wormwood
    "all rook endgames are drawn." 🙂
    LOL! Yeah,I keep telling myself that 😉
    This one is a win though,just hard to achieve.
  4. Standard memberPBE6
    Bananarama
    False berry
    Moves
    21 Apr '09 16:01
    Originally posted by Romanticus

White to move
    [fen]8/r7/6Pk/5R1P/8/6K1/8/8 w - - 0 1[/fen]
    I'm terrible at endgames, but I'm ordering Silman's Complete Endgame Course tonight, I swear!!

And now for my cheater, cheater, pants on fire routine... www.shredderchess.com calls this a win in 35. You can input the problem here:

http://www.shredderchess.com/online-chess/online-databases/endgame-database.html

Interesting! It seems that with correct play, neither the king nor the rook can take the h-pawn without letting the g-pawn run loose, forcing an eventual exchange of rooks. Honestly, I'd be S.O.L. in this position OTB.
  5. Joined
    04 Nov '08
    Moves
    21 Apr '09 18:32
    had no idea how tough this was until i exchanged down in to what i had thought was a won position after a horribly complex (to me) rook ending. I did win but my opponent did miss a draw in the process. Game 6174697

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree