suspecting foul play

suspecting foul play

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

o

Moves
11 Feb 09

I have been a member of RHP for many years and during this time I have probably played against several players that have used engines. Generally I tend to resign and move on...just can't be bothered to do anything about it. I have also naturally been forced to resign against players that have genuinely been far superior.

I recently had to do the same again in two of my games as my oponent was simply too strong. What amazes me is that the same guy languished around 1300-1400 for a long time after joining RHP in 2007 and shows a very normal up and down history curve for the most part with losses against lowly rated players as well. He has somehow recently improved his game so much that he is approaching 2100 now with the tell tale smooth curve look every now and again.

I guess what I am saying is selective use of an engine is not particularly easy to prove as opposed to guys who join and use Fritz for all their moves from day one.

Any similar experiences out there? I don't want to accuse anybody without proof either.

a

Moves
11 Feb 09

Agreed. There are games where I've suspected opponents of using an engine for only part of a game as well.

For instance, an (at the time) 1100 rated opponent played me -- maybe 4 months ago. He also had a very normal rating chart at that time. In a game against him I had a clear advantage -- one I thought perhaps not even an Engine could overcome --, and seemed well on my way to an easy victory. All of a sudden his play became very accurate. Due to the grossly lopsided position before his sharp play began I ended up winning anyway. After winning, I received a rude message accusing me of being a cheat.

Now I can understand someone having a string of sharp moves, but what makes me suspicious about this guy is he joins the site and for 20 days or so his rating remains around 1100. Over the next month his rating shoots up to 1900, while winning a string of tournaments. Now it has dropped back to its original state. This seems like an obvious case to me, but difficult to detect.

P
Mystic Meg

tinyurl.com/3sbbwd4

Moves
11 Feb 09

Use this:

http://www.timeforchess.com/fairplay/createticket.php

Just say your suspicions and with luck RHP will look into it.

P-

a

THORNINYOURSIDE

Moves
11 Feb 09

Originally posted by ondier
I have been a member of RHP for many years and during this time I have probably played against several players that have used engines. Generally I tend to resign and move on...just can't be bothered to do anything about it. I have also naturally been forced to resign against players that have genuinely been far superior.

I recently had to do the same again ...[text shortened]... e.

Any similar experiences out there? I don't want to accuse anybody without proof either.
Unfortunately if no-one reports them then nothing happens and they get away with it.

I have looked at the player in question, easy to work out 😉 from your
opening comments, and they do seem more than suspect with the 1300/1450 level for a while then jumping a few hundred points and then onto their high of 2,000 +

Its just sad that people feel the need to cheat.

z
Mouth for war

Burlington, KY

Moves
11 Feb 09

Its times like these that I am comforted by lack of great skill.

p

Moves
12 Feb 09

We're actually better than we think. There's 1 player I've been keeping an eye on for the longest time, who needs to be banned for engine use.. I never let it get to me, it's no big deal I just play other people.

I did fill in one of those tickets for the admins to look into it a long time ago. I won't mention who it is.

D

Moves
12 Feb 09

Originally posted by pijun
We're actually better than we think. There's 1 player I've been keeping an eye on for the longest time, who needs to be banned for engine use.. I never let it get to me, it's no big deal I just play other people.

I did fill in one of those tickets for the admins to look into it a long time ago. I won't mention who it is.
Only one? I count at least 25.

It's tougher for higher rated players who would otherwise enjoy playing in clan matches or leagues. Those are the places where one is most likely to encounter engine users as opponents.

rs

Moves
12 Feb 09

I have not noticed any engine use against me yet. I could be wrong though. I want to improve & earn my rating here. Using an engine you are only fooling & cheating yourself IMO.

e
voyeur

Zagreb

Moves
12 Feb 09

Originally posted by pijun

i think we're talking about the same guy, and i'm playing with him now...i'm gonna loose both games, on blunders, probably without foul play, and that's just because of lack of motivation and will to spend many hours for nothing ....i'm prolonging both games because i hope he will finally be banned. I'd send a fair play ticket, but i don't own an engine, can't write comparasion analysis, and i can't just write - "damn, he's tooo obvious!"

Moves
12 Feb 09
1 edit

Moves
12 Feb 09

Originally posted by amolv06
Agreed. There are games where I've suspected opponents of using an engine for only part of a game as well.

For instance, an (at the time) 1100 rated opponent played me -- maybe 4 months ago. He also had a very normal rating chart at that time. In a game against him I had a clear advantage -- one I thought perhaps not even an Engine could overcome --, and ...[text shortened]... ped back to its original state. This seems like an obvious case to me, but difficult to detect.
I suppose it is possible that a different person is now playing these games. Not necessarily likely, but possible.

G
Whale watching

33°36'S 26°53'E

Moves
12 Feb 09

Originally posted by efilmar
I'd send a fair play ticket, but i don't own an engine, can't write comparasion analysis, and i can't just write - "damn, he's tooo obvious!"
You only have to state your suspicions with some common sense reasoning, you don't have to run any analysis or provide proof. In my experience, rapid improvement from an established level (if this is the case) is usually a good enough reason to warrant a game mod investigation.

p

Moves
12 Feb 09

I too thought that maybe a certain player name had two different people playing (ie: father and son), or it was engine use. Either way they are breaking the rules of the site. Can't use engines and can't have multiple ppl on the same account.

D
Losing the Thread

Quarantined World

Moves
13 Feb 09

I analysed the games I think you were referring to. Your match-up rate was normal for a reasonable human. Your opponents match-up rate was suspiciously high. I have therefore sent in a fair play ticket.

d

Moves
17 Feb 09

my name is doyle and i suspect cheats on here