1. Joined
    02 Mar '07
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 14:40
    I am thinking about switching from the Najdorf to the Sveshnikov, I have not in the past had to face the Rossolimo, to those of you that play 2...Nc6 in the Sicilian, what do you like against the Rossolimo? I would prefer a somewhat aggressive line, but don't mind to play endgames either. Also if you have any Sveshnikov advice I would be goad to hear it.
  2. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    29 Jan '09 17:072 edits
    Great choice! I've been slowly adding the Sveshnikov to my repertoire as an alternative to the Dragon, and it's rapidly becoming my first choice.

Against the Rossolimo there are many good lines:

After 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 the two main moves are 3...g6 and 3...e6. I prefer the slightly less popular but still sound 3...Nf6!? immediately attacking the e4 pawn. Black normally tries to tempt White to play e5 in this line. I would recommend sifting through some top-level games in any line you're interested in, and see which one you like best.

As far as the Sveshnikov goes, I would definitely recommend investing in a book by Atanas Kolev and Trajko Nedev called The Easiest Sicilian. It came out this summer some time I believe, and it's absolutely fantastic. It's a repertoire book, so if you wanted a larger reference work, I could highly recommend Dorian Rogozenko's The Sveshnikov Reloaded. It's more outdated but covers more lines. If you want to learn the Sveshnikov I'd go with the former, and then if you want to expand your repertoire, and see what other options you may have, I'd then pick up the latter. You can read my glowing review of Kolev and Nedev's book on www.jeremysilman.com in the chess/book reviews section. That book also has lines against the Rossolimo (where I picked up 3...Nf6) and other weird lines like 1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. c3!? and 3. Nc3!?

If you get somewhat discouraged playing the Sveshnikov when you first start out, don't get discouraged. The pawn structures aren't similar to any other opening, and it could be awkward understanding how to deal with a fractured kingside and a really strong Nd5 at first. You'll get it eventually, especially if you play a lot and study good material.

Good luck! 😀
  3. Joined
    02 Mar '07
    Moves
    01 Feb '09 19:05
    Thank you for the recommendation Tony, I have ordered this book and look forward to reading it.
  4. Joined
    17 Dec '06
    Moves
    01 Feb '09 19:09
    how do you people feel about the keres attack vs the sveshnikov. who has the advantage in the keres attack, white or black?
  5. Standard membernajdorfslayer
    The Ever Living
    Third Earth
    Moves
    01 Feb '09 19:25
    Originally posted by Arrak
    how do you people feel about the keres attack vs the sveshnikov. who has the advantage in the keres attack, white or black?
    I think you mean the Keres attack in the Scheveningen.

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nf6 5.Nc3 d6 6.g4

I am not aware of a Keres attack in the Sveshnikov?

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree