1. Joined
    17 May '05
    Moves
    10 Dec '09 08:17
    Originally posted by PBE6
    Thanks to Alzheimer, heinzkat, Macpo and Regicidal for your input. In hindsight I felt like g4 was a blunder in the position because looking back I had vague visions ...Qh4 at some point, along with the clearing of the f-file for black's rook and pressure against the f2 square (although I didn't see the possible queen fork pointed out by Regicidal). I'll have ...[text shortened]... ely illuminate anything by themselves. I'm looking for real analysis and strategy here!)
    There are many wild strategies that can arise from earlier positions, but from this
    particular slower position with knight on c2 you can stick with the solid 14.Nce3 which is the natural follow up.

The immediate 14.Qh5 is no good. Black rolls up too quickly with 14...fxe4 15.Bxe4 f5, forcing 16.Nf4 exf4 17.Bxc6 Rc8 and I like black.

14.O-O is ok but this move can safely be delayed.

14.a4 is an option to open the a file and penetrate with the rook, but I think it is better to set up development first. a4 is often played later as b5 presents a target.

14.Ncb4 is sometimes played but I'm not impressed.

14.f3 is awful. It is too slow for white in an already slow variation. It impedes a possible Qh5, allows ...f4 taking away the e3 from the knight. Example line, 14.f3 f4 15.O-O Bxd5 16.exd5 Ne7 17.Be2 Qb6ch. More common for white is to play f3 or f4 when necessary,depending on the situation, only after he's developed and castled.

Of course, 14.Nce3 reinforces d5 immediately. The strategy revolves around d5, the white bishop's lines toward h7 and sometimes towards d5 to a8, and the white queen's access to h5. White will usually castle kingside, but maintains the option of queenside castling.

Beware of queenside castling, though, because black's g7 bishop is a powerhouse once the e5 pawn moves forward. Even without queenside castling, the bishop will menace the pawns. One role of the knight on d5 is protection against an immediate advance of black's b5 pawn. Sometimes black will post his rook on b8 to prepare the advance ...a5 and ...b4. This makes a timely, preemptive white strike with a4, opening the a file an important consideration.

With 14.Nce3 white theatens exf5. So black typically plays 14 ...Bxd5, 15.Nxd5 fxe4 16.Bxe4 f5. It seems that black is rolling up fast but white has two good options.

A. 17.Nf6ch Qxf6 18.Bxc6 Rd8 19.Bd5 Bxd5 20.Nxd5

B. 17.Bc2 Ra7 (possibly doubling the rooks on the f file and protecting h7. Black can't immediately play 17...Qe8 to prevent Qh5 because of the knight fork) 18.Qh5 e4 19.O-O (I think this is safer than queenside castling) and here f3 by white is a consideration as well as a4. The white bishop points toward h7 as well and has access to b3 - g8 diagonal.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree