Moves
    02 Nov '06 15:39
    How did Josef Szen win this game?

white to move

2. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    02 Nov '06 15:491 edit
    I can't see any tricks, so the obvious try is for White to get his rook to the b-file, preventing Black from getting his king out of the way of his pawn.

So.

1. Rc5 a4
    2. Rb5

Then, with the king safely cut-off and no-way for the a-pawn to queen, White can wander his king over to h4 to support g4-g5. Once these pawns are on the move it's game over. If Black ever threatens to exchange rooks then White should instead swap his rook for Black's a-pawn. Once both of White's pawns are on the 6th rank they are worth more than a rook and one of them will queen without any problem.

One more thing - if Black gets his king on a1 and the pawn on a2, then White has to watch for stalemate tricks, so White will need to take the a-pawn before that happens.
  3. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 00:17
    Originally posted by Fat Lady
    I can't see any tricks, so the obvious try is for White to get his rook to the b-file, preventing Black from getting his king out of the way of his pawn.

So.

1. Rc5 a4
    2. Rb5

Then, with the king safely cut-off and no-way for the a-pawn to queen, White can wander his king over to h4 to support g4-g5. Once these pawns are on the move it's game over. ...[text shortened]... as to watch for stalemate tricks, so White will need to take the a-pawn before that happens.
    Yep. I stalemated Fritz this morning the way you describe.

In the game, Szen gave up his rook for the pawn/queen but managed to advance his pawns far enough that the black rook could not stop both.
  4. Donation!~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    Your Kingside
    Moves
    03 Nov '06 00:36
    I was thinking about this. If you get the pawns to the sixth White is winning right? So allowing the pawn to queen but getting pawns moving would be another plan.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree