Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 01 Mar '10 14:59
    White to play and win. Tough nut to crack.

  2. 01 Mar '10 15:59
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    White to play and win. Tough nut to crack.

    [fen]3k4/2pq3p/pp5R/4P3/P6P/2PN4/1PN3K1/8 w - - 0 1[/fen]
    this is too hard, any clue for the clueless?
  3. 01 Mar '10 16:34
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    this is too hard, any clue for the clueless?
    Imagine a position where two knights and two pawns can immobilise a queen. Hence the title
  4. 01 Mar '10 17:09 / 2 edits
    Does it start with 1 Nd4 Qg7+ 2 Kh3 Qxh6 3 Nf4 followed by Nde6 and Ng5?
  5. 01 Mar '10 17:55
    Originally posted by mcreynolds
    Does it start with 1 Nd4 Qg7+ 2 Kh3 Qxh6 3 Nf4 followed by Nde6 and Ng5?
    Your first moves are correct. Ng5 isn't necessary. Another move is required, though.

    ps. Note that 1.Nd4 Qxa4 2.Rxh7 wins for white based on material plus, so after 1.Nd4, black has nothing better than Qg7+.
  6. 01 Mar '10 18:59
    e6 followed by e7?

    I'd find that to be very annoying, if not totally sound
  7. 01 Mar '10 19:22
    Originally posted by Tiwaking
    e6 followed by e7?

    I'd find that to be very annoying, if not totally sound
    You mean from the start position?
    Let's see:
    1.e6 Qxd3 2.e7+ Qe8



    White is lost. If he tries to save the knight, then Qd2+ loses the rook.
  8. 01 Mar '10 20:35
    Originally posted by Mephisto2
    Your first moves are correct. Ng5 isn't necessary. Another move is required, though.

    ps. Note that 1.Nd4 Qxa4 2.Rxh7 wins for white based on material plus, so after 1.Nd4, black has nothing better than Qg7+.
    ok then... based on what mcreynolds started ...

    1.Nd4 Qg7+ 2. Kh3 Qxh6 3.Nf4 K-somewhere (c8) 4.Ne6 (barricades the black queen) c5? 5. h5! (protecting pawn with knight, allowing the King to move) then your King is off to the races (Kg4 Kf5 etc.) eh?

    It seems like it'll take quite a few moves to get the passed pawn though. But it does look like whites position will win. It helps that blacks other pieces are hog-tied, so he'll be forced to make a few King moves he doesn't like. I tried a few times on the board and it seems to work, but too embarrassing to post the lines.

    Nice problem, took me a while even when mcreynolds solved most of it.
  9. 01 Mar '10 21:19
    Originally posted by allostery
    ok then... based on what mcreynolds started ...

    1.Nd4 Qg7+ 2. Kh3 Qxh6 3.Nf4 K-somewhere (c8) 4.Ne6 (barricades the black queen) c5? [b] 5. h5!
    (protecting pawn with knight, allowing the King to move) then your King is off to the races (Kg4 Kf5 etc.) eh?

    It seems like it'll take quite a few moves to get the passed pawn though. But it does loo ...[text shortened]... g to post the lines.

    Nice problem, took me a while even when mcreynolds solved most of it.[/b]
    Correct, h5 completes the blockade and frees the white king. It can take a while indeed, but white can treat the queenside like a normal winning pawn ending, forgetting all the pieces on the kingside.

    Brilliant, isn't it.
  10. 01 Mar '10 22:06
    Why is the endgame won? Black's queen is trapped away from the action but White's Knights have to stay in place to keep her there, White's king goes to the queenside but so does black's? Can someone play it against an engine and post the PGN?
  11. 01 Mar '10 22:27
    Ok I just tried it against the chessmaster on quick time controls and won pretty easy despite the fact I suck at endgames. It is interesting because I let it evaluate the initial position for a while and it didn't think much of 1. Nd4, preferring 1 Rf6 or 1 Kf3

  12. 01 Mar '10 22:28 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by mcreynolds
    Why is the endgame won? Black's queen is trapped away from the action but White's Knights have to stay in place to keep her there, White's king goes to the queenside but so does black's? Can someone play it against an engine and post the PGN?
    The two knights, albeit being forced to stay in place, still take away enough squares from the black king, especially to knight on e6, to allow white to easily win an opposition battle. The white king penetrates via the centre and gets an easy promotion, with enough tempi ahead of black. Try it yourself, it is really easy.

    edit. meanwhile you posted a possible follow on yourself. Better than if anyone else had done it

    edit 2: yes , this problem has been known to be a tough one for the computers too, with some exceptions. Most programs don't 'see' that the position is a simple endgame. That's why I challenged the term '100% tactic' in other threats. This is positional.
  13. 01 Mar '10 22:40 / 1 edit
    Sorry, an error occurred. Please report this problem.