1. Joined
    21 Dec '06
    Moves
    17 May '11 16:44
    I was wondering what kind of tactics training is better: working with puzzle book ("The Ultimate Chess Puzzle Book" by John Emms is my favorite) or training on a website like chesstempo.
    I find that each one has its strong sides. Book examples are carefully selected and probably have higher instructional value. The problem is that when working with a book I don't have enough determination to calculate variations rigorously. Quite often it goes like "I almost got it right".
    Chesstempo on another hand has zero tolerance and "almost" is not enough – you have to give winning exact line move by move, otherwise your rating goes down. And that makes me think just as hard as in real OTB game.
  2. Joined
    07 Apr '10
    Moves
    17 May '11 16:501 edit
    either way, setup the puzzle on a real board. (something I've never bothered to do)
  3. Joined
    09 May '11
    Moves
    17 May '11 17:47
    You could also add a daily Youtube-video to your training.

I made a few in which I explain why the tactics work:
    Amateur Tactic example: YouTube
    Mastergame tactic example: (Alekhine vs Spielman)
    YouTube&feature=related

🙂
  4. Joined
    09 Sep '03
    Moves
    17 May '11 17:51
    The website is definitely easier to work with and better/faster learning. In my opinion!!

There is a great "free" website that I use. Do not know if one could mention another website here so I will not but it is free and really good.
  5. Joined
    09 May '11
    Moves
    17 May '11 17:54
    Originally posted by MadKnight
    The website is definitely easier to work with and better/faster learning. In my opinion!!

There is a great "free" website that I use. Do not know if one could mention another website here so I will not but it is free and really good.
    As far as I know that should not be a problem as long as it is not a cor.chessite

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree