1. Joined
    18 Apr '06
    Moves
    09 Jul '07 13:53
    Hey, guys! I was wondering what was your opinion on the Taimanov Sicilian (1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 e6 3.d4 cxd4 4.Nxd4 Nc6 5.Nc3 a6), regardless of whether you play this opening or not.
  2. Joined
    28 Jun '07
    Moves
    09 Jul '07 14:07
    I have a book on the Kan (which I believe is the same thing) and it isn't very sharp. It's a solid system of development for black with a lot of chances for both sides and not a lot of theory, or definitely less than most variations of the sicilian. There's no killer lines for white to be worried about, like the Yugoslav attack in the Dragon, to be worried about.

I'd would have played it, but when I tried everyone played some anti-sicilian. I of course knew the theory and got a better position, but it wasn't as sharp or fun as a real sicilian. It was too much work at my level for not enough fun games.

If you have any questions about lines or want a few sample games I'd be happy to give them.
  3. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    09 Jul '07 14:163 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

4. Joined
    18 Apr '06
    Moves
    09 Jul '07 14:54
    Originally posted by pwnguin
    I have a book on the Kan (which I believe is the same thing) and it isn't very sharp. It's a solid system of development for black with a lot of chances for both sides and not a lot of theory, or definitely less than most variations of the sicilian. There's no killer lines for white to be worried about, like the Yugoslav attack in the Dragon, to be worried a ...[text shortened]... f you have any questions about lines or want a few sample games I'd be happy to give them.
    I am interested in a little theory and/or concepts on the Kan. Would you mind explaining it briefly?
  5. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    09 Jul '07 14:55
    Originally posted by pwnguin
    ...There's no killer lines for white to be worried about, like the Yugoslav attack in the Dragon...
    yugoslav is not a problem for a dragon player though, as it's likely the one white response he has studied the most. come yugoslav, black will most likely blitz the opening quite deep on autopilot.
  6. Joined
    15 Aug '05
    Moves
    09 Jul '07 14:583 edits

This post is unavailable.

Please refer to our posting guidelines.

7. Joined
    28 Jun '07
    Moves
    09 Jul '07 16:03
    Sorry wormwood, I used the wrong terminology. I mean to say there really aren't a lot of critical responses to study.

For the main line have a look at Short-Sax Amsterdam 1983 to see the main kind of set up you will have.
    http://www.chessgames.com/perl/chessgame?gid=1123937

I highly recommend the Emms book if you want to play the Kan.

I really want to play the Dragon in all its tactical glory, but some of the anti sicilians are so boring to play against.
  8. Joined
    02 Jul '07
    Moves
    09 Jul '07 20:18
    The Taimanov plays an early ...e6 but doesn't advance the d-pawn. With the d-pawn still on its home square (at least in the beginning) this eliminates the pesky "anti-sicilian" try of Bb5 by White. If White insists on playing Bb5 and then capturing a knight on the c6-square, theory holds that with ...bxc6 Black's center is actually strengthened. The Taimanov also renders White's quick Sozin-esque Bc4 rather harmless as well since there are usually no effective sacrifices with an early Bxe6 because Black has TWO pawns (f7 and d7) still available to recapture upon the e6-square. Another feature of the Taimanov is Black does not develop his king's knight early (instead going for ...Nc6). This means White's attempt at an early g-pawn thrust (g2-g4-g5, as in the Keres Attack of the Scheveningen Sicilian) doesn't have as much bite because there is no knight on f6 to poke at with the advancing pawn. So with the Taimanov, Black is saying, "I'm not going to get into any tactical fireworks out of the gate!" So if any of the above methods by White have bugged you in other Sicilian Defenses, then the Taimanov may be your answer! But there are always trade-offs, yes? (those gosh durned trade offs!). Because Black doesn't play an early ...Nf6, White doesn't have to play an immediate Nc3 to protect his e-pawn... which means he doesn't block his c-pawn ... which means he has the option of playing a quick c2-c4 before developing his queen's knight. This is the Maroczy Bind, with white pawns at e4 and c4 really putting the clamp on Black's attempt to make a pawn break with ...d5. The Maroczy Bind can be a slow maneuvering game, and Black players don't fear it as much as they used to. So... if you don't mind slow maneuvering games where you kind of hang back waiting for your opponent to make a slip so you can counter, then one of White's critical "answers" to the Taimanov is no longer so critical for you. On the other hand, if you don't like defending positions with a bit less space for a while, then you can safely say, "Ahhh, this defense probably isn't for me." Just some things to think about.

--
  9. Sydney
    Moves
    10 Jul '07 01:09
    http://www.jeremysilman.com/chess_opng_anlys/Pain_and_Anguish_7.html

Another view of the Kan
  10. Joined
    18 Apr '06
    Moves
    10 Jul '07 01:09
    Originally posted by Doctor Rat
    The Taimanov plays an early ...e6 but doesn't advance the d-pawn. With the d-pawn still on its home square (at least in the beginning) this eliminates the pesky "anti-sicilian" try of Bb5 by White. If White insists on playing Bb5 and then capturing a knight on the c6-square, theory holds that with ...bxc6 Black's center is actually strengthened. The Taim ...[text shortened]... efense probably isn't for me." Just some things to think about.

--
    Isn't the Maroczy Bind against the Taimanov a bit less effective than against the Accelerated Dragon?
  11. Joined
    02 Jul '07
    Moves
    12 Jul '07 03:46
    Originally posted by badivan1
    Isn't the Maroczy Bind against the Taimanov a bit less effective than against the Accelerated Dragon?
    I would say no, but only because I feel the practical merits for White playing the Maroczy Bind outweigh the theoretical advantages. What I mean to say is, Black no longer cowers in fear at the thought of having to face the Maroczy Bind because a variety of hedgehog positions have been holding equality for the second player. So I think the strength of White choosing to employ the Maroczy Bind lies in how comfortable the first player is in handling those types of positions, whether it is against the Accelerated Dragon or the Kan/Taimanov positions. As long as Black is a player who doesn't mind being patient while defending in less space while waiting for the opportunity to spring a pawn break, I think either the Taimanov or the Accelerated Dragon should provide equal opportunities for a successful defense. Likewise for White, if the first player feels right at home in this constricting system, then he should expect to have the same success against both the Accelerated Dragon and the Taimanov. I know this sounds a bit wishy-washy, but I really think any theoretical advantage the Maroczy Bind has against the Acc.Dragon vs. the Taimanov is just too close to call these days. Maybe someone out there has some info on new developments in the Maroczy Bind?
    --
  12. Joined
    25 May '08
    Moves
    03 Jun '08 11:30
    I usually find if white can find Be3.f4.Qf2 set up before black has time to set up his queenside with such as b5.Bb7.Rc8.Na5 and Nc4 it's usually too late and blacks king never gets castled due to having to defend d7.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree