1. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    10 Feb '15 13:41
    I'm going to see Gazza give a talk in Oxford tomorrow about "The limits of human performance and artificial intelligence".
    http://www.oxfordmartin.ox.ac.uk/event/2046

I'll report back on the experience after the event.
  2. Subscribersonhouse
    Fast and Curious
    slatington, pa, usa
    Moves
    10 Feb '15 16:13
    Originally posted by Data Fly
    I'm going to see Gazza give a talk in Oxford tomorrow about "The limits of human performance and artificial intelligence".
    http://www.oxfordmartin.ox.ac.uk/event/2046

I'll report back on the experience after the event.
    But will you see Gazza strip?🙂
  3. Subscribervenda
    Dave
    S.Yorks.England
    Moves
    10 Feb '15 19:42
    Originally posted by sonhouse
    But will you see Gazza strip?🙂
    I think the event is sponsored by the nat WEST BANK
  4. under your bed
    Moves
    10 Feb '15 20:02
    I love gazza's talks - he's best of the od school and its good he does this stuff.
  5. e4
    Moves
    10 Feb '15 22:41
    Ask him when he is going to give me back those chess books I lent him.

"Slick Tricks and Crap Traps in the Opening." and "How to Avoid the End Game."
    (the answer to that is buy "Slick Tricks and Crap Traps in the Opening."
  6. e4
    Moves
    12 Feb '15 13:38
    Well....What Happened....Did he not turn up.
  7. Joined
    18 Feb '10
    Moves
    12 Feb '15 13:54
    He did show up, albeit a little late (he was waiting for some data from a talk he gave earlier in the day so he could update his slideshow!).

A lot of the talk went over my head. I think the main gist was that we can't stop progress, so shouldn't try, but that there will always be a place for human intervention because computers / robots will never have intuition. An example he gave was the advanced chess match of ten or so years ago, where a couple of grandmasters played a match against each other in which they were allowed to consult a computer program at any point in the game. My memory of this match is that the winner took the computer program's advice almost all the time, whereas the loser just used it to blundercheck!

I guess I was little disappointed that he didn't address something which has always bothered me: With all the advances in technology, computers and robots can do many things more efficiently and to a higher standard than humans can do. This means, for example, that entire factories of workers can be replaced by a suite of robots and a couple dozen people controlling them. So what are the factory workers supposed to do? There may always be a place for the lucky (cleverest? best educated?) few who write the programs and design the robots, but that still means that a huge percentage of the workforce is left without any real jobs.

Perhaps in the future, 99% of people won't have jobs at all and they'll spend all their time watching TV and playing chess on the internet. To be honest I guess most people would be happy with that.
  8. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    12 Feb '15 20:58
    Originally posted by Data Fly

Perhaps in the future, 99% of people won't have jobs at all and they'll spend all their time watching TV and playing chess on the internet. To be honest I guess most people would be happy with that.
    If paid to, sure!
  9. under your bed
    Moves
    13 Feb '15 11:04
    Perhaps in the future, 99% of people won't have jobs at all and they'll spend all their time watching TV and playing chess on the internet. To be honest I guess most people would be happy with that.[/b]
    that's what most of the uk population would do under lib dems or a labour government.
  10. Joined
    01 Apr '05
    Moves
    13 Feb '15 15:36
    Gazza has come a very long way since first donning a Newcastle United shirt. Shambling drunk one day and talks on "The limits of human performance and artificial intelligence" the next. What a guy.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree