1. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Jan '16 18:13
    David Navara got absolutely crushed today, unbelievable. I like the way white played, its a simple way to avoid the Berlin defense and leads to exciting opposite side castling.

2. Joined
    22 Dec '15
    Moves
    26 Jan '16 20:09
    Honestly, Wei is the only reason I'm following at all. His attacking games feel completely original and is the closest thing to Tal these days. That anti-Berlin was amazing. He made a rock-solid part of any defensive Gm's repertoire feel... flimsy(!). 😲
  3. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Jan '16 20:41
    Originally posted by SPswindler
    Honestly, Wei is the only reason I'm following at all. His attacking games feel completely original and is the closest thing to Tal these days. That anti-Berlin was amazing. He made a rock-solid part of any defensive Gm's repertoire feel... flimsy(!). 😲
    It is a known variation, there are some games, but yes its refreshing not having to sit and watch Grandmasters grind out a Berlin endgame. Navara is a very curious character, a truly brilliant player, he just made some fatal errors and there was no way back.
  4. Joined
    22 Dec '15
    Moves
    26 Jan '16 21:38
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    It is a known variation, there are some games, but yes its refreshing not having to sit and watch Grandmasters grind out a Berlin endgame. Navara is a very curious character, a truly brilliant player, he just made some fatal errors and there was no way back.
    I've seen the d3+Bxc6 idea but never with a pawn storm like that before, can you link a game?

Navara is now on the losing side to the 2 most brilliant games of the whole tourney, I bet he is exhausted.
  5. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Jan '16 21:542 edits
    I've seen the d3+Bxc6 idea but never with a pawn storm like that before, can you link a game?

Navara is now on the losing side to the 2 most brilliant games of the whole tourney, I bet he is exhausted.
    Actually it was stated in the post game commentary where Yi Wei stated that he usually castles kingside but had observed a Caruana game against Karjakin I think he said, where white pushed the h pawn. I cannot find that game, but here is a game from 2010 but white played the wussy 11.Kb1

http://chesstempo.com/gamedb/game/3007745/r1bqr1k1/pppn1ppp/3b4/2p1p3/2N1P3/3P1N2/PPPBQPPP/2KR3R w - - 0 11

YouTube : Yi Wei
  6. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    26 Jan '16 22:31
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    David Navara got absolutely crushed today, unbelievable. I like the way white played, its a simple way to avoid the Berlin defense and leads to exciting opposite side castling.

[pgn]. e4 e5 2. Nf3 Nc6 3. Bb5 Nf6 4. d3 Bc5 5. Bxc6 dxc6 6. Nbd2 O-O 7. Nc4 Nd7 8. Qe2 Re8 9. Bd2 Bd6 10. h4 c5 11. h5 h6 12. O-O-O Nb8 13. Rdg1 Nc6 14. g4 f6 15. g5 fxg5 ...[text shortened]... 2. Qh5 Be6 23. Bh6 Bf7 24. Bxg7 Bxh5 25. Bxf6+ Kf8 26. Bxd8 Ne2+ 27. Kb1 Nxg1 28. Bxc7 1-0[/pgn]
    A game for the ages!
  7. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    26 Jan '16 23:53
    That Carlsen-Adams game was a real slug-fest. Thought Adams was winning with those 2 pawns at h3/g3, but Magnus kept finding the right moves. A credit to both players
  8. 19th hole
    Moves
    27 Jan '16 00:47
    I've never been one to follow the tournaments of the elite GM's of the world, but am gaining an interest in doing so. So, may I ask a silly question, where is a good source to go to view these games as they happen?

Thanks!
  9. Standard memberbyedidia
    Mister Why
    San Carlos, CA
    Moves
    27 Jan '16 03:01
    Originally posted by UserChevy
    I've never been one to follow the tournaments of the elite GM's of the world, but am gaining an interest in doing so. So, may I ask a silly question, where is a good source to go to view these games as they happen?

Thanks!
    I watch a lot on chess24.com Usually the tournaments themselves have a website e.g. tatasteelchess.com for Wijk an Zee.
  10. Joined
    22 Dec '15
    Moves
    27 Jan '16 04:38

Thanks!
    The tournaments I like to watch in full are the ones @ Stl Club (CCSCSL) because Maurice Ashley and Yasser team up, and put on a great program + the timezones are watchable unlike some Euro tourneys.

The next big one they have is the USA championship in April-
    http://www.uschesschamps.com/2016-us-championship/information/overview
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Jan '16 09:08

Thanks!
    I prefer to watch the game without commentary on chessbomb.com, the only annoying thing is the chat, its full of engine junkies, but its a small price to pay for the quite solitude of being able to follow in real time most the games. I prefer the open tournaments, there are usually upsets.
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Jan '16 09:112 edits
    The tournaments I like to watch in full are the ones @ Stl Club (CCSCSL) because Maurice Ashley and Yasser team up, and put on a great program + the timezones are watchable unlike some Euro tourneys.

The next big one they have is the USA championship in April-
    http://www.uschesschamps.com/2016-us-championship/information/overview
    Yasser is possibly the best commentator on the planet, he has none of the arrogance of others and is humerous and knows how to handle people with the utmost diplomacy. Svidler i like but he can be very dismissive and hardly ever shuts up. Jen always look vacant is just there for eye candy and Maurice is an engine junkie 😛
  13. Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Jan '16 09:152 edits
    Originally posted by byedidia
    A game for the ages!
    Yes so refreshing, I could not take another Berlin endgame. I like these lines where white goes for opposite side castling.
  14. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    27 Jan '16 12:52
    You know, I think Tal and Wei Yi couldn't be more different. Tal sacrificed using intuition, Wei Yi actually calculates the whole line! He spent some 20 minutes deciding on 0-0-0 (instead of an immediate g4), i got the serious impression that he had actually worked the whole thing out before he castled.
  15. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    27 Jan '16 12:55

Thanks!
    I usually visit chessbase.com. They report on all of the top tournaments and generally provide a link at the bottom of the article which directs you to the tournaments website. It is common to have access to live commentary. If you wish to watch TATA Steel, you can do so here...

http://www.tatasteelchess.com/live

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree