Tata Steel 2013...

Tata Steel 2013...

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Isolated Pawn

Wisconsin USA

Moves
28 Jan 13

Originally posted by woodypusher
Carlsen was Magnusifent
the class C winner wasn't too shabby either!

P

Moves
28 Jan 13
1 edit

Garry Kasparov on Carlsen:

Congratulations to Magnus Carlsen for his huge victory at the Tata Steel Chess tournament in Wijk aan Zee! He matched my record score of 10/13 there and without losing a game, and he pushed his record rating up even higher. I would like to say he owes his success to my year of coaching him, but it was already clear then and even clearer now that Magnus is a very special talent with no limits on what he can achieve.

Carlsen's next step is obvious, but not easy: winning the March candidates tournament in London to become Vishy Anand's challenger in a world championship match later this year. I try to root for good chess and big fighting spirit, not for players, but of course it will be hard for me not to support my three Russian compatriots in London: Kramnik, Svidler, and Grischuk. How can the world chess title move from sunny India to frigid Norway without stopping by in its traditional home of Russia?

Some say world championship matches are old-fashioned, or that a sport with a rating list and top tournaments doesn't need a world champion at all. But I still believe that head-to-head combat is the most exciting and fairest way to decide the title, and that our legacy of great champions is one of the most potent elements in chess as a global sport. Magnus is destined to join these ranks. It only remains for him to win when it matters most, a true test of a champion.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Garry-Kasparov/243791258306

e

Jerusalem

Moves
28 Jan 13

Originally posted by woodypusher
Carlsen was Magnusifent
...and lucky. But it will be hard to win the candidates tournament using this openings

w
misanthrope

seclusion

Moves
28 Jan 13
1 edit

Yes, lucky to have such chess talent. It will be hard for anyone to win the candidates, no matter their opening prep. But it will be easier for Magnus than the anyone else.

FL

Moves
28 Jan 13

Originally posted by ketchuplover
the class C winner wasn't too shabby either!
Here is Sabino Brunello, the winner of the C section, beating a friend of mine (and current joint Welsh Champion) back in 2005, when Brunello was only 16 years old. It's unusual for White to fianchetto his queen's bishop against the Sicilian.

The Near Genius

Fort Gordon

Moves
28 Jan 13
2 edits

Originally posted by Fat Lady
Here is Sabino Brunello, the winner of the C section, beating a friend of mine (and current joint Welsh Champion) back in 2005, when Brunello was only 16 years old. It's unusual for White to fianchetto his queen's bishop against the Sicilian.
[pgn]
[Event "21st European Club Cup"]
[Site "Saint Vincent ITA"]
[Date "2005.09.21"]
[Round "4"]
[Result "1-0 3 31. Qxc6
Bxe1 32. Qc8+ Rf8 33. Qe6+ Rf7 34. Qg4+ Kf8 35. Qc8+ 1-0
[/pgn]
I wonder why he did not do this: