1. Subscribermlb62
    mlb62
    Moves
    29 Jan '18 14:20
    Ho -Humm , big surprize..Magnus wins another major tournament. Not decided until after two 5 minute Blitz games vs Giri. I hate seeing the elite tournaments settled by blitz games.. why not have the two players share the 1st & 2nd prize money ?
  2. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    29 Jan '18 14:34
    Originally posted by @ogb
    Ho -Humm , big surprize..Magnus wins another major tournament. Not decided until after two 5 minute Blitz games vs Giri. I hate seeing the elite tournaments settled by blitz games.. why not have the two players share the 1st & 2nd prize money ?
    That's happened in the past, I believe.
  3. e4
    Moves
    29 Jan '18 14:56
    They do share the money.

The play off's are for who gets the trophy and if this was a qualifying event for
    another tournament (not the case here) then it secures the winning player that spot.

Carlsen last lost a blitz play off way back in 2007 v Aronian in the candidates.
    That was a qualifying event. SInce then Carlsen has won 9 blitz/rapid play off's on the trot.

Interesting to note, though not too surprising, that the top two are not playing
    in the candidates in the March. (Carlsen for obvious reasons and Giri failed to qualify..)

The other candidates here (Wes So, Caruana, Kramnik, Karjakin, and Mamedyarov)
    were possibly saving their goodies for the candidates and a chance at a money spinning
    match v Carlsen in November in London. (not to mention the money for actually winning
    the candidates. 95,000 Euros.)
  4. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    30 Jan '18 13:26
    Somebody must have lit a fire under Giri for this one, he usually draws most, or all of his games in these super-tournaments.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree