1. Water End
    Moves
    13 Jun '06 18:49
    Is it a fairly standard situaution, that when ypur opponents realise they are about to lose that they begin to play at the speed of continental drift?
  2. Joined
    02 Feb '06
    Moves
    13 Jun '06 19:22
    I've had multiple occurance where once they see mate, they stop moving until you time them out.
  3. Standard memberMCA
    TokerSmurf
    Bonnie Scotland
    Moves
    13 Jun '06 19:23
    Originally posted by Gweilo
    Is it a fairly standard situaution, that when ypur opponents realise they are about to lose that they begin to play at the speed of continental drift?
    it does appear to be a common problem

cant understand it myself, id rather get it finished and out of the way & get on with a game i might have a chance in (not that i have any chance in many of the games i play lol)
  4. Standard memberEnigmaticCam
    Chess n00b
    Cali
    Moves
    13 Jun '06 19:35
    They're waiting for your rating to spike so they don't lose as much points 🙂
  5. Water End
    Moves
    13 Jun '06 19:57
    Originally posted by EnigmaticCam

They'll wait a bloody long time for my rating to spike lol
  6. Joined
    12 Nov '05
    Moves
    13 Jun '06 20:09
    I'm pretty sure I've never been accused of this myself, because I will resign once I'm convinced that the game cannot be saved. However, when a game becomes very difficult, and I find myself in trouble, I do slow down my play quite a bit - not for the reasons suggested above, but because the game is _hard_. I often decide to have another look at a difficult position on the following day, or perhaps the day after that. It allows me to think about the position, and try to find the best move - which may ultimately include resigning if the game is lost.
  7. Joined
    22 Aug '05
    Moves
    13 Jun '06 20:10
    Originally posted by Gweilo
    Welcome to correspondence chess. 😞
  8. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    13 Jun '06 20:22
    If in a bad way I might slow things down a little, as I try hard to find an escape, cunning trap, etc

Otherwise I'll resign quickly- unless they have a low rating, which convinces me to play on incase of error
  9. Water End
    Moves
    14 Jun '06 20:35
    Originally posted by Shinidoki
    If in a bad way I might slow things down a little, as I try hard to find an escape, cunning trap, etc

Otherwise I'll resign quickly- unless they have a low rating, which convinces me to play on incase of error
    maybe thats whats going on in my case then, they are waiting for me to make a mistake.

Although that having been said the people I'm playing are within about 100 points of me.🙂
  10. Garner, NC
    Moves
    16 Jun '06 14:15
    Originally posted by kubuntu
    I'm pretty sure I've never been accused of this myself, because I will resign once I'm convinced that the game cannot be saved. However, when a game becomes very difficult, and I find myself in trouble, I do slow down my play quite a bit - not for the reasons suggested above, but because the game is _hard_. I often decide to have another look at a difficul ...[text shortened]... , and try to find the best move - which may ultimately include resigning if the game is lost.
    I too may slow down when I have fallen behind for the same reasons. On the other hand, if a game becomes an easy win, I move quickly because it has become easier than a dead even game. So by contrast, games I'm losing may seem extremely slow.

I get as much pleasure from squeaking out a draw in a seemingly lost game as I do winning a close game.

I never play slow out of spite and eventually I'll resign when the game is hopeless. Of course the person with the advantage may define hopeless slightly differently.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree