1. Wat?
    Moves
    12 Feb '11 03:12
    http://www.thailandlife.com/thai-culture/how-to-play-thai-chess.html

An interesting age old game that, if mastered, can certainly venture world chess to new levels. Imagine having a Bishop can only move one square.

You are limited, but step by step mentally, you can develop thoughts of where he could really go in world chess. Play the game, then extend it yourself to 2 moves per piece, then 3 moves per piece.

Simplicity extended to complexity in a logical way!

-m.
  2. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    12 Feb '11 23:12
    Originally posted by mikelom
    http://www.thailandlife.com/thai-culture/how-to-play-thai-chess.html

An interesting age old game that, if mastered, can certainly venture world chess to new levels. Imagine having a Bishop can only move one square.

You are limited, but step by step mentally, you can develop thoughts of where he could really go in world chess. Play the game, then extend ...[text shortened]... per piece, then 3 moves per piece.

Simplicity extended to complexity in a logical way!

-m.
    Try Go.

The thinking mans Connect Four.

More basic than chess but deeper, so they say.
  3. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    13 Feb '11 01:50
    Originally posted by hedonist
    Try Go.

The thinking mans Connect Four.

More basic than chess but deeper, so they say.
    if one likes chess, one can learn a lot from go. but i doubt, "correspondence go" is feasible.
  4. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    13 Feb '11 05:09
    Originally posted by tharkesh
    if one likes chess, one can learn a lot from go. but i doubt, "correspondence go" is feasible.
    Why is that?
  5. Joined
    30 Jun '08
    Moves
    13 Feb '11 05:19
    itsyourturn.com has corr. go as well as other games in a turn based format. Never played there though so I can't give a review.
  6. Donationketchuplover
    Isolated Pawn
    Wisconsin USA
    Moves
    13 Feb '11 10:18
    Originally posted by KneeCaps
    itsyourturn.com has corr. go as well as other games in a turn based format. Never played there though so I can't give a review.
    They use(d) to have forums there but not anymore.
  7. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    14 Feb '11 13:02
    Why is that?
    i would expect go to last too long. in chess, the average number of moves per game is estimated to be ~37, go ranges from 150-250, almost never below 50.

or did you ask about the 'one can learn a lot from it as a chess-player' part?
  8. Standard memberhedonist
    peacedog's keeper
    Moves
    14 Feb '11 20:11
    i would expect go to last too long. in chess, the average number of moves per game is estimated to be ~37, go ranges from 150-250, almost never below 50.

or did you ask about the 'one can learn a lot from it as a chess-player' part?
    Yeh the correspondence Go thing was what I was asking about. Suppose the amount of moves may be the reason.

Not sure about it helping your chess. Though I guess a good chess player would make a good Go player if they put their mind to it.
  9. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    14 Feb '11 21:171 edit
    Yeh the correspondence Go thing was what I was asking about. Suppose the amount of moves may be the reason.

Not sure about it helping your chess. Though I guess a good chess player would make a good Go player if they put their mind to it.
    hm, i believe in most things helping to understand chess better. game tactics, pattern recognition, the player you play with...

go in particular is mind-boggling for someone who only knew about chess before. the basic outline is so similar (a grid of black and white, two players, etc.) and yet the outcome is so different (playing on the edges, all stones are equal, conquer space not kings, different player strengths are balanced etc.).

the nicest was to learn the give and take. in go you can never have everything, you must allow your opponent to gain space. it has a lot to do with recognizing the ability of the other player (i hardly finish go games to the end, resigning a game means you acknowledge the strength of the other and assume he doesnt blunder, which is not nice to make someone do). and this give and take is also essential for chess: give a pawn, a piece, take a tempo.

using the balance to create unbalance.

or so.

anyways, is fascinating. 🙂
  10. Joined
    09 Aug '01
    Moves
    14 Feb '11 21:53
    Is Go beyond computer domination yet?
  11. Joined
    04 Sep '10
    Moves
    14 Feb '11 22:05
    Originally posted by tonytiger41
    Is Go beyond computer domination yet?
    yes, even further than chess. but it is deterministic, so by time it will be solved...

even though it is extremely popular in some parts of the world, i doubt there will ever be a game 'human vs computer' in go, the last frontier of human 'creativity', as has been done some time ago for chess.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree