Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 17 Jan '12 21:08 / 3 edits


    White to move what is the result?
  2. Standard member Exuma
    Anansi
    17 Jan '12 21:41
    Let me guess - 1. Rxh6 f2 2. Rf6 Re6+ 3. RxR f1=Q 0-1
  3. 17 Jan '12 21:57
    Originally posted by Exuma
    Let me guess - 1. Rxh6 f2 2. Rf6 Re6+ 3. RxR f1=Q 0-1

    3.RxR+
  4. 17 Jan '12 21:58 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Exuma
    Let me guess - 1. Rxh6 f2 2. Rf6 Re6+ 3. RxR f1=Q 0-1
    Well, if you weren't guessing I'm sure you would see that 1. Rxh6 must be an error given that black can play Rf7.
  5. 17 Jan '12 22:25 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    White to move what is the result?
    Obviously Black's pawn at f3 and White's pawn at c5 are major factors. These passed pawns will decide the game and time is more crucial than grabbing material.

    For White, I'd only consider moves Rf6 or c6. I'll go with 1.Rf6 f2 2.c6 and White wins (f1/Q, Rxf1+, Kxf1, c7).
  6. 17 Jan '12 22:27
    Originally posted by Varenka
    Obviously Black's pawn at f3 and White's pawn at c5 are major factors. These passed pawns will decide the game and time is more crucial that grabbing material.

    For White, I'd only consider moves Rf6 or c6. I'll go with 1.Rf6 f2 2.c6 and White wins (f1/Q, Rxf1+, Kxf1, c7).
    Yes, I made the puzzle too easy. The winning plan came to me a few moves before this position but with a possible hiccup in it where black could get that h pawn on the seventh against my queen when my king was too far away to do anything about it. Oh well.... sometimes threads fail.
  7. 17 Jan '12 22:41 / 1 edit
    Ah Tom Tom.

    If not me then it would have come from someone else.
    That position came from Game 8921324

    Look at Black's 31st move.

    At least I'm a friend. (well I hope I still am.)
  8. 17 Jan '12 22:44 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Ah Tom Tom.

    If not me then it would have come from someone else.
    This is from Game 8921324

    Look at Black's 31st move.

    At least I'm a friend. (well I hope I still am.)
    I already know that we both missed that mate (without looking I assume that is what you are talking about)... which is why I hastily put my rook in the way the next move. It was a case of move order... I was supposed to interpose the rook first then move my king up. The funny thing is that I actually gained a critical move because of this oversight lol.
  9. 17 Jan '12 22:51
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    That position came from Game 8921324
    At move 48, White has a won game anyway, but I like 48.Rxf3 since Black's rook is overloaded.
  10. 17 Jan '12 22:52
    Good. I was a tad worried there.
    You could have mentioned it.
    You were bound to guess that some rat would peek at the answer.

    (ahem.....moving on.)

    That's one for chapter 11 of my next book. The Endgame

    "Most endgames should never have been endgames."

    And then fill up the pages with missed mates.
  11. 17 Jan '12 22:57
    Originally posted by Varenka
    At move 48, White has a won game anyway, but I like 48.Rxf3 since Black's rook is overloaded.
    Yes, at that point I stopped trying as hard and just continued with the plans I already had put together from before.
  12. 18 Jan '12 08:50 / 3 edits
    Originally posted by Varenka
    Obviously Black's pawn at f3 and White's pawn at c5 are major factors. These passed pawns will decide the game and time is more crucial than grabbing material.

    For White, I'd only consider moves Rf6 or c6. I'll go with 1.Rf6 f2 2.c6 and White wins (f1/Q, Rxf1+, Kxf1, c7).
    Interestingly enough, there is still yet another option. You found the two best moves without any question. I'd myself probably play Rf6.

    However, Rg6 is possible as well. It makes for a possible interesting sacrifice - a tad bit of honey in an otherwise boring pushathon.



    Q
  13. 18 Jan '12 20:19 / 6 edits
    Originally posted by PhySiQ
    Interestingly enough, there is still yet another option. You found the two best moves without any question. I'd myself probably play Rf6.

    However, Rg6 is possible as well. It makes for a possible interesting sacrifice - a tad bit of honey in an otherwise boring pushathon.

    [pgn][SetUp "1"][FEN "8/4r3/pK1R3p/2P5/8/PPP2p2/7P/4k3 w - - 2 44"] 44. Rg6 Rf7 ...[text shortened]... 9. c7 Rxa1 50. c8=Q {White can forcefully promote again with no black mistakes} [/pgn]

    Q