1. Standard memberDutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 21:34
    The Damiano Defense 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 f6 is very bad.
    I think everyone knows the trap. After 3.Nxe5, Instead of fxe5, play 3....Qe7 which forces the knight to move and then take the e4 pawn with check.
  2. Joined
    01 Feb '07
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 21:37
    Isn't that the Latvian gambit? I wouldn't categorize Nxe5 as a trap because White will still have rapid castling and attacking chances...
  3. Sydney
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 21:51
    Originally posted by 93confirmed
    Isn't that the Latvian gambit? I wouldn't categorize Nxe5 as a trap because White will still have rapid castling and attacking chances...
    the Latvian is f5.

After Qe7 white simply returns the knight to f3 and can be happy with his position.
  4. Standard memberEnglish Tal
    Phoneless
    Account suspended
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 22:22
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    I think everyone knows the trap. After 3.Nxe5, Instead of fxe5, play 3....Qe7 which forces the knight to move and then take the e4 pawn with check.
    I'm playing one right this moment, as black... a moment of mad impulse.. or simply wanting to take a very strong player out of known territory...
  5. Standard memberKorch
    Chess Warrior
    Riga
    Moves
    27 Feb '07 23:41
    Originally posted by Dutch Defense
    It isnt Latvian gambit. In my opinion this is much worse. I would better play 1...g5 on 1.e4.
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Feb '07 00:42
    it is a trap, as after fxe5, black loses terminably...
    infamous line, after best defence from black after this blunder...
    1. e4 e5
    2. Nf3 f6?
    3. Nxe5! fxe5?? from here on, black moves are considered best...
    4. Qh5+ Ke7 not g6, losing the rook and immediate loss...
    although here, it may be best to go on and sac the rook to avoid the assured mate which i think, though can not prove, is a forced mate
    5. Qxe5+ Kf7 only logical move for white, and only legal move for black
    6. Bc4+ d5 either this or just Kg6, i hink d5 is better, because then the light squared bishop helps a bit, i think
    7. Bxd5+ Kg6
    8. h4!! h5 i'm not entirely this is best for black... the h5 move...
    obviously, at this point, it doesn't matter...
    9. Bxb7!! black resigns...
    if 9. ... Bxb7
    white wins after the following forced mate:
    10. Qf5+ Kh6
    11. d3 (d4)+ g5
    12. hxg5+ Qxg5
    13. Bxg5++

if black does much of anything besides moving bishop, white takes c8 next move, and the above line is still possible, i think...
    and no matter what, if none of this adds up, white gets the rook on a8 and no amateur could blow this lead...
    i only feel sorry for Mr. Damiano, who, a long time ago, got his name stuck to the opening for properly condemning it...
    i also feel sorry for the newbie who takes the trap on e5...
    even after Qe7, the weakness on f7 is magnified so much, winning shouldn't be a problem for most players as white
  7. Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Feb '07 00:43
    Originally posted by English Tal
    I'm playing one right this moment, as black... a moment of mad impulse.. or simply wanting to take a very strong player out of known territory...
    when you are as highly rated as you are on this site, you can play whatever the bloody hell you want!
  8. Standard memberDutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Feb '07 01:22
    The Latvian Gambit is 1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 f5. I made a thread of this called "The Latvian Gambit destroys all!"
  9. Standard memberEnglish Tal
    Phoneless
    Account suspended
    Moves
    28 Feb '07 11:40
    Originally posted by rubberjaw30
    when you are as highly rated as you are on this site, you can play whatever the bloody hell you want!
    You should view the rating of the guy I'm playing....!:'(
  10. Joined
    29 Jul '06
    Moves
    01 Mar '07 02:521 edit
    it is a trap, as after fxe5, black loses terminably...
    infamous line, after best defence from black after this blunder...
    1. e4 e5
    2. Nf3 f6?
    3. Nxe5! fxe5?? from here on, black moves are considered best...
    4. Qh5+ Ke7 not g6, losing the rook and immediate loss...
    although here, it may be best to go on and sac the rook to avoid the assured mat weakness on f7 is magnified so much, winning shouldn't be a problem for most players as white
    it's not a forced mate (though fxe5 pretty much leads to 1-0) , if you don't believe me, just check wikipedia
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Mar '07 02:54
    Originally posted by YUG0slav
    it's not a forced mate (though fxe5 pretty much leads to 1-0) , if you don't believe me, just check wikipedia
    after which move?
    i don't care if there is no immediate forced mate...
    white will, with any skill, destroy black's position...
    it's just so...
    so...
    HORRIBLE!
  12. Account suspended
    Moves
    01 Mar '07 02:55
    Originally posted by English Tal
    You should view the rating of the guy I'm playing....!:'(
    true, but internet site ratings usually can vary from true USCF ratings by as much as 200, and more in some cases...
  13. Standard memberDeepThought
    Losing the Thread
    Quarantined World
    Moves
    01 Mar '07 03:24
    true, but internet site ratings usually can vary from true USCF ratings by as much as 200, and more in some cases...
    English Tal is playing EvReyDay (rated 2365 when I looked). A very strong player. English Tal isn't exactly a pushover but nevertheless going for the Damiano defence (which should really be renamed the Damiano Submission - Damiano is the unluckiest chess analyst of all time getting this named after him...) is a brave move; good luck with it ET.

The reasons that this site's ratings differ from other ratings are numerous. For one thing FIDE, USCF, ECF, and other national ratings systems are for over the board chess, here we are playing correspondence chess, and the skill set you need is different. There may be a better correlation for ICCF etc ratings.

USCF ratings are higher than the same FIDE ratings, and ECF ratings come in a range of 0 - 265 (Nigel Short's rating), this is because the ratings systems are based on different approaches to the statistical models.

All ratings systems have flaws, a joker joined the site and through multiple accounts managed to get himself a rating of 3,000 (see list of removed players, GoldenCondor and similar names).

While your rating here is some indication of how you'll do elsewhere, there are always other factors in other playing arenas that'll shift your effective playing strength around. But here EvReyDay has a rating 200 higher than English Tal's and I don't mind telling you that my wins against 2,000 players are not numerous.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree