Originally posted by Testrider
    if he allways likes to sac against you you could play
    e4 c5?!
    because
    d4 exd4
    c3 dxc3
    Bc4 e6
    is a lot less dangerous then when your e pawn is gone 😉
    true, but this dude is an opening genius, and...he would just play the sicilian
  2. Seattle
    Moves
    02 Feb '06 16:55
    Originally posted by exigentsky
    If you take the c3 pawn, he will take with his knight and have a more active setup. He would not go Bc4, that's a bad move.

You really shouldn't take on c3, it gives him a big lead in development. That is sufficient compensation. His whole plan is to kill you quickly with tactics, something he can do due to superior development and probably skill. He is playing his strength.

I recommend d5 instead of dxc.
    if im gona play d5, im gona need to study that, and no...Bc4 is not a blunder, the whole point of the gambit is to bring both bishops into a kmakaize attack onto black's kingside....the knight would be pointless.....it would slow his development down enough to allow me to castle safely and then the whole gambit is over...and he is down pawn with nothing in return...
  3. Seattle
    Moves
    03 Feb '06 03:37
    any more ideas? I really want to beat this obnoxious kid in my county, im tired of him taking all the trophies and prize money from all the tournies....I WANA WIN!!! any help will b greatly appritiated.
  4. Joined
    19 Nov '05
    Moves
    03 Feb '06 06:26
    Originally posted by c guy1
    if im gona play d5, im gona need to study that, and no...Bc4 is not a blunder, the whole point of the gambit is to bring both bishops into a kmakaize attack onto black's kingside....the knight would be pointless.....it would slow his development down enough to allow me to castle safely and then the whole gambit is over...and he is down pawn with nothing in return...
    Bc4 is not a blunder, but it is a bad move. It's weak considering the alternative.
  5. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    03 Feb '06 08:33
    Bc4 is not a blunder, but it is a bad move. It's weak considering the alternative.
    Bc4 is a quintessential move of the Danish Gambit. Nxc3 defeats white's basic idea which is for swift development while black continues capturing pawns. Nxc3 is only likely to follow if black refuses the b pawn.

Not that this is important to the discussion, however, because white will be playing Bc4 anyway. The point is that d5, returning at least one of the pawns, is the correct reply. I would prefer to play it after 5. Bxb2, keeping a one pawn advantage, but it can be played earlier to less effect.
  6. Belfast
    Moves
    03 Feb '06 12:47
    One of the current CC champions, an estate agent or someone uses the Danish Gambit and has maybe a 90% winning percentage as White with it.
  7. Standard memberGatecrasher
    Whale watching
    33°36'S 26°53'E
    Moves
    03 Feb '06 13:562 edits
    Originally posted by Positional Player
    One of the current CC champions, an estate agent or someone uses the Danish Gambit and has maybe a 90% winning percentage as White with it.
    That's very interesting. I do know I have never lost a gaime at RHP using it, and it has always provided a great deal of fun and some very sharp and bloody tactics. Admittedly, I've only ever played it against weaker opponents.

Analyzing this opening with a computer is quite useless - all the engines I've applied to it have overvalued Black's material advantage and undervalued White's positional advantage. Perhaps that's why exigentsky believes Nxc3 to be stronger than Bc4. Engines would certainly prefer that move. But it really misses the point, and in my opening database, Bc4 has a much better success rate, even at the IM/GM level.
  8. Joined
    07 Nov '04
    Moves
    03 Feb '06 15:39
    Originally posted by c guy1
    A player in my county (real life) has been giving me serious trouble (when he is white). Our games go: e4, e5...d4
    so far i have tried taking the d pawn and following his c3 push have tried d5 and d6, both of which didnt work.
    I dont want to try taking the free pawns because i know of the massive attacking chances he recieves
    Maybe im just over reacting. ...[text shortened]... 1105 so i might b acting out of intimidation (hopefully not) any help would be greatly thanked.
    In spite of what you say 3...d5 is the simplest way to play it for black. I've never had too many problems achieving at least equality for black in this line. On RHP it may well be worth taking both the pawns, but OTB there are one or two quite dangerous tactics to look out for.
  9. Seattle
    Moves
    04 Feb '06 04:11
    Originally posted by Testrider
    if he allways likes to sac against you you could play
    e4 c5?!
    because
    d4 exd4
    c3 dxc3
    Bc4 e6
    is a lot less dangerous then when your e pawn is gone 😉
    he wouldnt do that, he would just transfer into the scilian, which he also knows very,very well😠
  10. Joined
    17 Jan '06
    Moves
    04 Feb '06 05:02
    This guy seems like he is very confident and likes establishing a broad center.

Best way to defeat such offenders...hypermodern style. I say go Pirc.

1.e4 g6
    2.d4 Bg7
    3.f4(Austrian Attack)

and the idea I always play here with black is to either gain a break with ...c5 ...f5 or ...e5 before white can move his pawn chains forward.
  11. Seattle
    Moves
    04 Feb '06 05:131 edit
    Originally posted by razor2007
    This guy seems like he is very confident and likes establishing a broad center.

Best way to defeat such offenders...hypermodern style. I say go Pirc.

1.e4 g6
    2.d4 Bg7
    3.f4(Austrian Attack)

and the idea I always play here with black is to either gain a break with ...c5 ...f5 or ...e5 before white can move his pawn chains forward.
    hm...thats the first time i have heard anyone anylyze him that way...maybe i should look for more themesin his games...ok...i remember something, he loves his queen...he calls it "his precious," it's kinda weird but i have never seen him force a win without it.

EDIT: his past openings include: french, scilian, and even's gambit
  12. Seattle
    Moves
    05 Feb '06 05:22
    ill look into the austrian, looks kinda weird...ive never been much of a hypermodern player, the furthest i have strayed from chess 101 by choice (e4-e5)has been queen's gambit, and im still a little off with that one...if im going down that road ill have to totally re-asese my chess game, and im not sure i have the time to do that

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree