the differencebetween internet chess and otb chess, what is it? surely pattern recognition is pattern recognition.

the differencebetween internet chess and otb chess, what is it? surely pattern recognition is pattern recognition.

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

h

Moves
25 Dec 10

discuss.

i
SelfProclaimedTitler

Moves
25 Dec 10
1 edit

wow, that's a long thread title. Isn't there more to chess then pattern recognition ? 😲

t

Moves
25 Dec 10

2D vision - internet chess taken less serious -> less pressure -> better results? - interruptions(phonecall,doorbell,kids,etc....) -> poorer results? - more experimenting -> poorer/better results - more difficult to annoy/distract opponent - engines - books - GM friends kibitzing - patzer friends kibitzing.

That's about all I can think of.

toet.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
25 Dec 10
1 edit

Originally posted by hintjul
discuss.
threads with zero substance in the opening post should be deleted automatically, and the offender forum banned for spamming the board.

if you're too lazy to contribute anything yourself, you shouldn't start a new thread.

u
Sharp Edge

Dulling my blade

Moves
25 Dec 10
1 edit

Psychology is a huge factor in OTB. The human element responds differently in person than over the internet.
For example, if you resign en masse over the board, you'd get a lot of dirty looks and snide remarks. Online, like on this site, you probably get people who are a bit more direct and insulting for doing such a thing because of the whole hidden by computer thing.

c
The Chessicle

Scotland?

Moves
25 Dec 10

Originally posted by wormwood
threads with zero substance in the opening post should be deleted automatically, and the offender forum banned for spamming the board.

if you're too lazy to contribute anything yourself, you shouldn't start a new thread.
Nonsense!

Opinionated and dismissive posts should be deleted, and the poster banned for spamming.

Discuss.

n
Ronin

Hereford Boathouse

Moves
26 Dec 10

this thread failed when the OP suggested that chess is only pattern recognition.

C
Cowboy From Hell

American West

Moves
26 Dec 10

Originally posted by hintjul
discuss.
Don't call me Shirley!

t

Moves
26 Dec 10

mouseslips!