1. Joined
    21 Jan '12
    Moves
    11 Jun '12 15:19
    thinking of putting my old copy on ebay I checked for prices.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/1880673940/ref=tmm_pap_new_olp_sr?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Over 400$!!!It's official,the world's gone bonkers 😕
  2. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 04:34
    I bought a copy, last fall, for less than $20. Perhaps ~$10.

Here's a copy for $3.97 and zero shipping: http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=7526360541
  3. Joined
    21 Jan '12
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 14:07
    Yes,I know,saw cheap ones too.I'm not looking for one,but want to sell.

I was just baffled by the sellers trying to get 400$ for it.
    What are they thinking?????
  4. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    13 Jun '12 19:17
    There are some older editions, including original German ones, for $400 and even more. But, Amazon often connects to unscrupulous booksellers who seek to gouge the unwary. I generally start with American Book Exchange when I'm shopping for used books. If I run into something of interest at Amazon, I'll still look at ABE, where, in my experience, there are more copies, better information about each, usually lower prices, and more reputable dealers.
  5. Joined
    21 Jan '12
    Moves
    14 Jun '12 12:41
    Yes,ABE is ok,though they don't always know what they're selling LOL
    But they refund your money,no problems.
  6. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    14 Jun '12 12:48
    Originally posted by Wilfriedva
    Yes,ABE is ok,though they don't always know what they're selling LOL
    But they refund your money,no problems.
    I've never had a problem with ABE. When I had a problem with Amazon--an unscrupulous dealer took the money, but did not ship the book,--they refused to refund the money.
  7. Standard memberpdunne
    Badmaster
    freeshell.de/~dunne
    Moves
    15 Jun '12 07:27
    Originally posted by Wulebgr
    There are some older editions, including original German ones, for $400 and even more. But, Amazon often connects to unscrupulous booksellers who seek to gouge the unwary. I generally start with American Book Exchange when I'm shopping for used books. If I run into something of interest at Amazon, I'll still look at ABE, where, in my experience, there are more copies, better information about each, usually lower prices, and more reputable dealers.
    As far as I am aware, the original German edition was a book club edition printed in 1931 in large numbers. It is still quite common, not a collector's item or anything near it. I picked up my copy for two or three Euro on ebay. Mind you, I did see one go on ebay for ¤37,50!

It is, by the way, one of the best chess books every written, so pick up a copy if you see one at a reasonable price -- just don't pay $400! ;-)

I would second the recommendation of ABE over Amazon. Even though Amazon do in fact own ABE, it seems to attract a better class of seller.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree