Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. Standard member c00ushion
    I'll take the Draw
    08 Sep '07 14:26
    I've tried a few different opening as White to maybe Improve my game and found that playing an Opening called the Irish Gambit Works best for me, It goes

1.E2-E4.....E7-E5
    2.Ng1-f3.....Nb8-c6
    3.Nxe5...Nxe5
    4.d2-d4

What does everyone think of this Opening, If it could be bad in the Future of the Game or that it could Help me by controlling the center even though I'm already down in Piece Value.
  2. Standard member chessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    08 Sep '07 14:37
    you play that crap against me and you'll lose.
  3. 08 Sep '07 14:49
    That's like playing an accelerated Halloween gambit!
    Intresting idea
  4. Standard member c00ushion
    I'll take the Draw
    08 Sep '07 15:07 / 2 edits
    Originally posted by ouwe belg
    That's like playing an accelerated Halloween gambit!
    Intresting idea
    Well the Truth is its an Extremely Weak opening, but I'm always trying out new openings see how they turn out, Yes I actually have played the Halloween Gambit hundreds of times, I wanted to really try the Irish gambit One because I'm Irish from Ireland and Two I love how it seems to Throw Average Players off, If I know how the Person plays I normally will play this opening if they're either Imm or a Beg an Advanced Player see's right through it and would Crush me Quickly.

I'm Currently playing a game with the Irish Gambit and this is how it looks right now with me as White
    Game 4010944
  5. Standard member Dutch Defense
    Stealer of Souls
    08 Sep '07 15:16
    Originally posted by c00ushion
    I've tried a few different opening as White to maybe Improve my game and found that playing an Opening called the Irish Gambit Works best for me, It goes

1.E2-E4.....E7-E5
    2.Ng1-f3.....Nb8-c6
    3.Nxe5...Nxe5
    4.d2-d4

What does everyone think of this Opening, If it could be bad in the Future of the Game or that it could Help me by controlling the center even though I'm already down in Piece Value.
    Also called the Chicago Gambit
  6. Standard member chessisvanity
    THE BISHOP GOD
    08 Sep '07 15:21
    ya he's playing me and i'm winning
  7. 08 Sep '07 15:21 / 1 edit
    Hmm.
    I'm a big fan of gambits & taking the central control early on, but after
    1.e4...e5
    2.Nf3...Nc6
    3.Nxe5?!...Nxe5
    4.d4...Ng6
    5.Nc3
    presumably, then I'd play 5...c6, as ...d5 is threatened, Nc3 will have problems getting into the game & also obviously Bb5 is out, as is Bc4 because ...b5 is now possible.
    6.Bd3...Bb4
    7.Bd2...N(8)e7

& black is off to a good solid start unless I have made one of my famous analytical cock-ups!

white to play

8. Standard member c00ushion
    I'll take the Draw
    08 Sep '07 15:23
    Originally posted by chessisvanity
    ya he's playing me and i'm winning
    This game hasnt even begun to start Vanity, and how do you figure that your winning this can easily go either way, Goodluck to you, Either Way i'm testing out the Gambit, I never said I could beat anyone with it, but we will see how the Game Progresses
  9. Standard member Korch
    Chess Warrior
    08 Sep '07 17:56
    3.Nxe5? is nonsense.
  10. 08 Sep '07 18:04
    Do you have to drink a lot of alcohol beforehand to play it? Is it true the Irish drink beer with breakfast and don't touch whiskey before 9 AM?
  11. Standard member eagleeye222001
    Eye rival to Saurons
    08 Sep '07 18:16
    The Chicago Gambit can not be good at all against anyone decent in chess.
  12. Standard member c00ushion
    I'll take the Draw
    08 Sep '07 19:53
    Originally posted by eagleeye222001
    The Chicago Gambit can not be good at all against anyone decent in chess.
    Untrue, I did read an Article that said Harold Meyer Phillips used it against one of the greatest Masters of that time Harry Nelson Pillsbury, and beat him with it, So even the great GrandMasters and international masters can lose against this Irish Gambit
  13. 08 Sep '07 20:35
    Originally posted by c00ushion
    Untrue, I did read an Article that said Harold Meyer Phillips used it against one of the greatest Masters of that time Harry Nelson Pillsbury, and beat him with it, So even the great GrandMasters and international masters can lose against this Irish Gambit
    Pillsbury was one of the forgotten great American GM's, he fits nicely between Morphy and Fischer as one of the "pride and sorrows" of chess. So much talent gone to waste because of personal problems.
  14. 08 Sep '07 22:42
    This Irish gambit looks about as good as the Irish football team at the moment.
  15. Standard member c00ushion
    I'll take the Draw
    08 Sep '07 23:20
    Originally posted by Schumi
    This Irish gambit looks about as good as the Irish football team at the moment.
    Thats not right, Schumi i'll see you at the Chessboard for that one HeHe