1. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    09 Oct '06 13:16
    Those still supporting Topalov might read the following:

http://www.chessbase.com/newsdetail.asp?newsid=3413

Clearly, Topalov has completely lost any sense of sportmanship, if he ever had it.

The opinions expressed in the article are so bizarre that I had to check the calendar. It seemed like another of ChessBase's notorious April Fool's hoaxes.
  2. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    09 Oct '06 13:41
    Originally posted by Wulebgr

The opinions expressed in the article are so bizarre that I had to check the calendar. It seemed like another of ChessBase's notorious April Fool's hoaxes.
    I would take anything a software company writes on its news page with a pinch of salt...

not that the official wc site was much better.
  3. London
    Moves
    09 Oct '06 13:501 edit
    Originally posted by wormwood
    I would take anything a software company writes on its news page with a pinch of salt...
    Uh? You think chessbase fabricated the interview, and the claim Danailov sent it to them is a lie?!

Anyway, on the basis of this interview, Topalov does indeed seem to have lost contact with reality.
  4. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    09 Oct '06 14:02
    Originally posted by TommyC
    Uh? You think chessbase fabricated the interview, and the claim Danailov sent it to them is a lie?!
    no. it's just not a news agency. of any sort. I don't think there are journalists working there, nor any kind of journalistic principles in place, like fact checking etc. -which gives it slightly more credibility than a random blog somewhere on the net.
  5. London
    Moves
    09 Oct '06 14:05
    no. it's just not a news agency. of any sort. I don't think there are journalists working there, nor any kind of journalistic principles in place, like fact checking etc. -which gives it slightly more credibility than a random blog somewhere on the net.
    So . . . I'm confused. Do you believe Topalov gave that interview? Do you believe Danailov sent it to Chessbase? If the answers are yes and yes, what is the point of your comment on it?
  6. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    09 Oct '06 15:031 edit
    Originally posted by TommyC
    So . . . I'm confused. Do you believe Topalov gave that interview? Do you believe Danailov sent it to Chessbase? If the answers are yes and yes, what is the point of your comment on it?
    the point is people shouldn't jump to conclusions. (the interview looks okay, as it seems to be from a real newspaper.) but I'm not all that convinced that things are exactly like we've lead to believe. rumours and accusations are flying wild, people get worked up, and all kinds of crazy speculations fill every possible chess related venue. the sort of thing that would get threads deleted if it was about a rhp-match. still, most of the 'information' we get is from poorly worded wcc announcements or a software company 'news' page.

we have little knowledge of what is actually happening there, behind the closed doors, and no doubt for a good reason. the match would've never even taken place had all the stuff been provokatively aired during the negotiations. both players have done stupid choices, ran their mouth without thinking etc. -but now they're back to playing, and we should get over of all of it as well.

I'm just tired sick of this non-chess drivel that is polluting this forum and others. I wan't to watch, read and talk about chess, not the soap opera around it.
  7. London
    Moves
    09 Oct '06 15:15
    Well, this whole fuss could have been more self-contained, that's true. Unfortunately, Topalov cc'd his initial complaint to all world wide media organisations, after which there was no turning back.

I for one see no reason to doubt this newspaper article. Also I think chessbase's track record is one of balance and tact. In this case, I doubt they are ignoring an army of GMs who are writing in support of Topalov, for instance - because there simply isn't anyone of significance on his side anymore.
  8. Standard memberflexmore
    Quack Quack Quack !
    Chesstralia
    Moves
    09 Oct '06 15:341 edit

Clearly, Topalov has completely lost any sense of sportmanship, if he ever had it.

this interview actually makes me like Topalov a little again.

he seems to have it clearly in his head that this is a battle to death with no rules ... the goal is to win and that is what he will do at any cost.

the serious problem i foresee is that some people believe chess is a game played on the board ... and is accompanied by false niceness and polite-fake-friendship off the board.

Topa seems to be coming straight out and saying "chess is war!"

Kramnik may or may not be the better chess player but there is always much more to chess than just playing the game ... and as a all -out combatant, Topalov is showing a much greater robustness.

unless kramnik can find a shell in which he can insulate himself from off board attacks then he must be able to take them without becoming deflated.

if kramnik is to be a true champ then he must be able to defend his title against scammers and manipulators.
    - maybe topalov can do that better? - let the battle continue!
  9. Standard memberWulebgr
    Angler
    River City
    Moves
    09 Oct '06 15:42
    both players have done stupid choices, ran their mouth without thinking etc.
    Actually, Kramnik has not run his mouth without thinking. He doesn't do such things.

Kramnik has earned plenty of criticism for a higher drawing ratio than nearly any other top player. In addition, Shirov has a genuine complaint regarding his eligibility to play Kasparov in 2000, and Vlad's performance 2002-2005 left a lot to be desired.

These genuine criticisms contributed to Kramnik losing (or failing to gain) the support of the vast majority of chess fans throughout the world. Topalov's antics, and those of his manager, have changed all this. Many chess fans have come to recognize what some of us have observed all along: Kramnik is a true champion, and a man who conducts himself with dignity and class.
  10. Joined
    30 Aug '06
    Moves
    09 Oct '06 17:011 edit

It is the general concensus at my local chess club that Topalov is the better player. In professional chess circles "mind games" are all a part of the way they play, and there are no awards for sportsmanship.
  11. Joined
    28 Sep '06
    Moves
    09 Oct '06 17:08
    In our chess club too.
  12. Joined
    28 Sep '06
    Moves
    09 Oct '06 17:162 edits
    Chessbase.com is clearly on Kramnik's side.

One can often read on it twisted "chess politics" designed to promote their interests.

Here is something that slipped under the radar.

" ...Kramnik said in one of the press conferences that he was more anxious about the football Champions League. Have you ever heard anything more insulting than that?

Topalov:
    This is not an insult to me but to the organizers, the audience, the media and the millions of fans all over the world...."

13. London
    Moves
    09 Oct '06 17:22
    There is no doubt Topalov has been the most effective tournament player in the world over the year and a bit. This or having the highest rating has never been the same as being World Champion however. I for one would not want to see the title of World Champion rotate every six month according to who has bobbed up to the top of the rating list this time.
  14. Joined
    26 Nov '03
    Moves
    09 Oct '06 17:231 edit
    Originally posted by Los Angeles

One can often read on it twisted "chess politics" designed to promote their interests.

" ...Kramnik said in one of the press conferences that he was more anxious about the football Champions League. Have you ever heard anything more insulting than that? ...[text shortened]... ons of fans all over the world...."

Are you saying that is the most insulting thing you have heard? well I have some news for you! It was suggested that KramniK was cheating! Who are you anyway? I strongly suspect that you are somehow connected with this tournament? you obvioulsy have not come here to play chess, have you posted in the forum on other subjects or just this tournament?
  15. London
    Moves
    09 Oct '06 17:23
    Originally posted by Los Angeles

" ...Kramnik said in one of the press conferences that he was more anxious about the football Champions League. Have you ever heard anything more insulting than th ...[text shortened]... ons of fans all over the world...."

No, when I read that I thought it was psychological genius on Kramnik's part. Clearly it affected Topalov too, I believe his insanity set in the very next day. Around the same time you showed up.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree