Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. Donation !~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    25 Oct '05 02:27
    Does anyone play this? I play the Pirc all the time, and have the urge to just not play ..Nf6! It's seems tough to handle. Any interesting games or tips?
  2. 25 Oct '05 02:50 / 1 edit
    Tell ya the truth the Pirc is tooooooo slow for me. Plus it can be destroyed with a well played Austrian Attack or four pawns I believe.
  3. Donation !~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    25 Oct '05 02:55
    Oh geez. Not this crap again.

    A. The Austrian Attack is completely overrated and not that challenging to the Pirc.

    B. The Four Pawns Attack is not possible against the Pirc since an early Nf6 forces Nc3.
  4. 25 Oct '05 06:05
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    Oh geez. Not this crap again.

    A. The Austrian Attack is completely overrated and not that challenging to the Pirc.

    B. The Four Pawns Attack is not possible against the Pirc since an early Nf6 forces Nc3.
    yeah I play Pirc too. its best opening available.

    and austrian attack...hah hah...white has no chances...
  5. Subscriber no1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    25 Oct '05 06:16
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    yeah I play Pirc too. its best opening available.

    and austrian attack...hah hah...white has no chances...
    None at all.

    Game 1288882
  6. 25 Oct '05 06:49
    Originally posted by no1marauder
    None at all.

    Game 1288882
    yeah well that was played months ago...I didnt know theory and attacking schemes very well back then...
  7. Donation !~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    25 Oct '05 16:00
    Hahaha, White was already better in that game by about Move 11. You should have just played 3...e5, which is the best line, and just laugh at White for play the dumb 3. Bd3.
  8. Subscriber no1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    25 Oct '05 17:36
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    Hahaha, White was already better in that game by about Move 11. You should have just played 3...e5, which is the best line, and just laugh at White for play the dumb 3. Bd3.
    Geta Kamsky, who is currently rated #3 in the US at 2711, played the "dumb" 3 Bd3 against Vovsha in the 3rd round of the 106th New York Masters in June 2004. I'm sure he and all the rest of us are eagerly awaiting your book "!~TONY~! Teaches You How to Play the Openings Way Better Than a Bunch of Dumb, Ole Grandmasters".
  9. 25 Oct '05 18:19 / 1 edit
    i thought gata works as a lawyer..

    or was it doctor...
  10. Subscriber no1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    25 Oct '05 18:33 / 1 edit
    Originally posted by Jusuh
    i thought gata works as a lawyer..

    or was it doctor...
    The October Chess Life says Kamsky is returning from a 7 year layoff, though I can't find any tournament activity by him from 1994-2004. He recently won the New York State Championship over a strong field.
  11. Donation !~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    25 Oct '05 20:17
    Jesus man, lay off. I think we all know Nc3 is better than Bd3. There is a reason why not too many people play that move - It's not as good as Nc3. You are unbelievably rude to me, when I have said nothing to you. Get a life.
  12. Subscriber no1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    25 Oct '05 20:42
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    Jesus man, lay off. I think we all know Nc3 is better than Bd3. There is a reason why not too many people play that move - It's not as good as Nc3. You are unbelievably rude to me, when I have said nothing to you. Get a life.
    You've been unbelievably arrogant in this and the other thread, here's your words:

    and just laugh at White for play the dumb 3. Bd3.

    Do you think that Vovsha laughed at Kamsky?

    Sure, Nc3 is the preferred move but in the game itself the position would have transposed into the normal position of the Austrian Attack if White had chosen to play 6 Nc3. Your categorization of an opening move made by GM's as "dumb" reveals a healthy ego on your part, but little else.
  13. Donation !~TONY~!
    1...c5!
    25 Oct '05 21:12
    I don't have an ego, I just have opinions on things. Yes, the opening played did transpose to an Austrian, but a better one for White, since Black couldn't strike at the center as effectively. The problem with Bd3 is that Black can play e5. It's that simple. I don't think White has any advantage after e5. Where is it? In that context, since he chose a move that gave him nothing over something that pushes for more advantage, it does seem kinda dumb no? Maybe dumb wasn't the word. My apologies on seeming arrogant, although I would rather be slightly more confident in myself to rude and insulting.
  14. Subscriber no1marauder
    Humble and Kind
    25 Oct '05 21:25
    Originally posted by !~TONY~!
    I don't have an ego, I just have opinions on things. Yes, the opening played did transpose to an Austrian, but a better one for White, since Black couldn't strike at the center as effectively. The problem with Bd3 is that Black can play e5. It's that simple. I don't think White has any advantage after e5. Where is it? In that context, since he chose a m ...[text shortened]... arrogant, although I would rather be slightly more confident in myself to rude and insulting.
    Black can play e5 after Nc3, too if he is so inclined; Nc3 does not prevent e5 though Nf3 would. 3 ..... e5 would lead to a Philidor setup depending on what the next few moves were. Looking for some firm "advantage" after a few moves is a futile gesture in standard openings. I suppose that Kamsky could say that 3 Bd3 leaves open the option of advancing the c-pawn to c4 while still immediately defending the e-pawn; it's possible to envision the opening moves leading to some sort of King's Indian setup if Black doesn't play e5. Therefore, there seems to be a logical basis for the move even if it is not the usual one.
  15. 02 Dec '05 16:40
    Just read the posts in this thread about the Bd3 move in the Austrian Attack. Im not a big fan of this move, instead, I play Be3 which leaves the d-file unblocked for the queen and also with the intention of Qd2.