Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

1. 05 Sep '10 01:25
    You may have heard something about the MCI magazine.
    Well, I guess it's time to let you all in on the gag. The bloody thing doesn't exist.
    I received a LOT of private messages asking for information about the magazine.

I felt as though I owed the forum posters something for the prank.

Here is a first attempt at putting something sort of like it together.

I only worked on it a little while. There wasn't enough time to do everything, and some of the information may be very basic. I can improve it for the next "issue" it this draws any interest.

Section A.)

This month's opening discussion will be on the Lasker Defense to the Queen's Gambit.

1.d4

This is a good, solid first move. White releases his c1 bishop and stakes his claim on the center.

1. ... d5

Black does likewise. He won't just allow white to play 2.e4 and dominate the entire center.

2.c4

This is the defining move of the Queen's Gambit. White uses his flank (c) pawn to apply pressure to black's center (d5). White is hoping for dxc4, whereas he will round up the c4 pawn, play e4, and dominate the center. If 2. ... dxc4, white has Qa4+, e4, e3, or Nf3 followed by e3. Black can't usually hold on to the pawn. That's the Queen's Gambit Accepted and another discussion.

2. ... e6

Black holds his pawn center (d5) at all costs. This is called the Queen's Gambit Declined. 2. ... c6 is also a reasonable way to decline the c4 pawn and hold the center. Black's only problem with 2. ... e6 is that he locks in his queen's bishop (c8). Black will later either play e5 or b6 followed by Bb7 to free the piece.
  2. 05 Sep '10 01:32
    3.Nc3

White develops a piece and attacks d5 again. He's still trying to tempt black into taking on c4 and surrendering his center.

3. ... Nf6

Black develops a piece as well and defends d5 again.

4.Bg5

White develops another piece and puts even more pressure on d5. The threat is 5.cxd5 exd5 6.Bxf6 gxf6 (Qxf6 7.Nxd5), which cripples black's kingside pawns.

4. ... Be7

This is a totally logical response. Black unpins the knight and prepares to castle.

5. e3

White develops his other bishop. Note that white played Bg5 before e3. His queen's bishop pressured d5 AND got outside the pawn chain to play e3. If white had played e3 before Bg5, his bishop would not have and active squares.

5. ... h6

This move can be made now or after black castles. The idea is to get white to part with the two bishops (Bxf6) or move away. If white moves away, he has not really gained a move since he is just removing an already developed piece.
  3. 05 Sep '10 01:38 / 1 edit
    6.Bh4

White decides to keep his two bishops.

6. ... 0-0

Black gets his king out of the center. It is after this move that the purpose of 5. ... h6 can be seen. h6 was a move for luft (air) The h7 square is now vacant, and black can use it for his king if he ever needs it to get out of check.

7.Nf3

White develops another piece. He only needs to move the f1 bishop and castle to finish development.

7. ... Ne4 !?

This is the defining move of Lasker's Defense. (The alternative was 7. ... b6, Tartakower's Defense.) Lasker's 7. ... Ne4 has a purpose. Black decides that he has less space and wants to trade off some minor pieces. It will be harder for white to launch a succesful attack with a smaller army.

8.Bxe7

The bishop was attacked, so trading it is quite logical.

8. ... Qxe7

Black recaptures and saves his queen. Note the possibilities of Qb4 now, for black.
  4. 05 Sep '10 01:51
    Everyone's a greenpawn wannabe.
  5. 05 Sep '10 01:52
    9.cxd5

There are quite a few alternatives here (9.Rc1/9.Qc2/9.Nxe4) I will share a neat little trap after 9.Nxe4. 9.Nxe4 dxe4 10.Nd2 e5!? (10. ... f5 also fine) 11.Nxe4? exd4 12.Qxd4?. It looks like white is a pawn up. There is only one flaw. 12. ... Rd8 wins because white can't save his queen and defend the knight on e4 at the same time.

9. ... Nxc3

This is necessary because 9. ... cxd5 just drops a pawn to 10.Nxd5.

10. bxc3

White has to recapture there.

10. ... exd5

Black also needs to recapture. There is one thing to especially to note. Black's queen's bishop is no longer locked in by the e6 pawn.

11.Qb3

White gains a move by attacking d5. He also prepares c4 again to destroy black's center.

11. ... Rd8

Black defends d5 again.

I hate to stop here, but the opening is over now.
    Here are a few more moves of the variation without comment.

12.c4

dxc4 13.Bxc4 Nc6

Black threatens Na5, winning the c4 bishop for the knight.

14.Qc3 Bg4

What did black achieve?

He got out of the cramp/space squeeze of the Queen's Gambit, traded down some of white's attacking forces, got his bad bishop good, and got his pieces on nice active squares.

What about white?

He managed to make black cede his center. Also, white kept his space advantage for most of the game.

The final position is still imbalanced and not totally clear. This is not the only way white can play the variation either (see move 9). This was just a basic overview of the variation.
  6. 05 Sep '10 02:01 / 2 edits
    30 Tactics

These aren't all that difficult. Some are super easy. Enjoy

Please don't answer them in the forum without hiding the solution.

1.White To Move

2.White

3.White

4.White

5.White

6.White

7.White

8.White

9.White

10.Black
  7. 05 Sep '10 02:08
    11.White

12.Black

13.Black

14.White

15.White

16.Black

17.Black

18.Black

19.Black

20.Black
  8. 05 Sep '10 02:24
    21.White

22.White

23.White

24.White

25.White

26.Black

27.White

28.White

29.White

30.White
  9. 05 Sep '10 02:46 / 8 edits
    Sorry, an error occurred. Please report this problem.