1. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    08 Oct '12 19:43
    Greetings players and fellow patzers.

So, after joining RHP over a month ago I am about to approach the 20 completed games milestone. There are two key things I have learned about my game;

1) I occasionally leave gaps in my defenses (i.e. vulnerable pawns) which can be fatal

2) I am severely impatient

The best example of number 2) is actually my one remaining game in progress, where I had won my opponents Queen early on through a rook "sacrifice" (to be honest it was initially a blunder, where afterwards I spotted the potential to trap his Queen).

Shortly after losing his Queen, my opponent slowed down his move rate... from multiple moves a day (one day had 8 moves played) to one move every 3/4 days.
    We was playing 3 days per move with 7 days time bank.

Weeks passed, and I slowly grew impatient and wanted to win asap, and so went for the kill without spotting the fatal Knight-attack-on-my-Queen-with-discovered-check.

My Queen is dead... and so are my hopes of winning.

So after 20 games... i've learned that patience is a huge factor in chess success.
    I would argue that he should have resigned earlier in the game... but know full well that he is perfectly obliged to take his time.
    (As a funny side note, I have just claimed my first 'skull' win against a different player)

So then, who else has similar stories? Perhaps games where you've gone for the win too quickly, or made moves too fast and not looked for better alternatives.
  2. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    08 Oct '12 20:012 edits
    Originally posted by 64squaresofpain

So, after joining RHP over a month ago I am about to approach the 20 completed games milestone. There are two key things I have learned about my game;

1) I occasionally leave gaps in my defenses (i.e. vulnerable pawns) which can be fatal

The best example of number 2) is actu ne for the win too quickly, or made moves too fast and not looked for better alternatives.
    If you want to play the very best chess you can on here. Then take advantage of all the rules. This includes consultiing opening, middle, and endgame sources.

Also one advantage that I did not learn about here until after I had completed my twenty games was the analysis board that comes up if you click on the "analyze board" off to the right of the main playing board. I always use it to make moves and look at the new positions from both sides before making my final move on the real playing board. Experiment with it and you will see how you can eliminate many blunders that you might not see by playing as if this is an OTB game with just more time to think.

P.S. I could give you many more ideas, but using the "analyze board" is the most important.
  3. Standard memberProper Knob
    Cornovii
    North of the Tamar
    Moves
    08 Oct '12 21:14
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    If you want to play the very best chess you can on here. Then take advantage of all the rules. This includes consultiing opening, middle, and endgame sources.

Also one advantage that I did not learn about here until after I had completed my twenty games was the analysis board that comes up if you click on the "analyze board" off to the right of the main ...[text shortened]... P.S. I could give you many more ideas, but using the "analyze board" is the most important.
    Unbelievable. 😲
  4. Standard memberwolfgang59
    Quiz Master
    RHP Arms
    Moves
    08 Oct '12 22:38
    games where you've gone for the win too quickly, or made moves too fast and not looked for better alternatives.
    Every loss, every draw and most wins!
  5. New Braunfels, Texas
    Moves
    08 Oct '12 23:16

The best example of number 2) is actually my one remaining game in progress
    FYI:

From the terms of service: "(b) While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party." The dreaded 3b!

Bringing a game in progress (gip) to the public forums is a big no-no around here. Anyone commenting on this game or offering advice (the third party mentioned above) is subject to a forum ban and, perhaps, a site ban. Certainly if you think the game shows some important points of chess, you can display it here, but after the game is finished.
  6. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    09 Oct '12 14:30
    Originally posted by MontyMoose
    FYI:

From the terms of service: "(b) While a game is in progress you may not refer to chess engines, chess computers or be assisted by a third party." The dreaded 3b!

Bringing a game in progress (gip) to the public forums is a big no-no around here. Anyone commenting on this game or offering advice (the third party mentioned above) is subject to a f ...[text shortened]... shows some important points of chess, you can display it here, but after the game is finished.
    Ah yes I do remember seeing that somewhere, my apologies, but I honestly am not after any advice or anything like that lol, was just pointing the error out.

Once the game is finished I will [try to] display it on here in the correct format...
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Oct '12 09:143 edits
    If I knew you were not seeking advice, I would not went to the trouble of commenting on one of your recently finished games. But since I have, I will post it for anyone that might be interested.

8. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Oct '12 09:3210 edits
  9. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Oct '12 10:431 edit
    Correction to my above analysis

10. Standard membervivify
    rain
    Moves
    10 Oct '12 12:05
    Since no one's said it yet, I will: 64 has the most awesome name on this site.
  11. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Oct '12 21:53
    Originally posted by vivify
    Yeah, I did not notice that. There is always the possibility of the agony of defeat on those 64 squares. How painful it can be. Ha ha 😀
  12. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 09:40
    Originally posted by vivify
    Thanks, much thought was put in to it lol

As for the analysis provided, yeah RJ that particular game was not my finest at ALL (that bishop move 40. being the worst for me)

What i have started to do is write notes between moves, as when i go away from the game and come back i tend to forget what my overall strategy was.

I really should have won that game... still kick myself for it.
  13. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    12 Oct '12 11:05
    Thanks, much thought was put in to it lol

As for the analysis provided, yeah RJ that particular game was not my finest at ALL (that bishop move 40. being the worst for me)

What i have started to do is write notes between moves, as when i go away from the game and come back i tend to forget what my overall strategy was.

I really should have won that game... still kick myself for it.
    That happened to me when the guy took so long to move and I quickly took with the wrong pawn, thinking I had remembered what I was going to do to win his knight and let him get away, making it a hard fought draw for me. But that was before I started getting serious. I now have correspondence chess boards and sticky notes that I record info on each game and if I have a line planned, I write it down so I can quickly refer to it so I do not have to do all the same analysis all over again.
  14. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    05 Nov '12 03:08
    Ok here is the aforementioned game, finally completed.

Invert board, as I play as Black.

Had I have really thought about this game, I would probably have made sure the end result went the way it "should" have gone...
    Instead of moaning and cursing about it afterwards

Game analysis itself is not really needed here... I know what my mistakes were now.
    This game is here to identify how impatience can cause defeat.
  15. Subscriberroma45
    st johnstone
    Moves
    05 Nov '12 09:53

The best example of number 2) is actu ...[text shortened]... ne for the win too quickly, or made moves too fast and not looked for better alternatives.
    great name, the best way to not get annoyed by slow players is to get a sub, once you have unlimited games on the go, who cares about someone dragging out a lose? or a win in the game shown. 😀

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree