1. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    29 Mar '12 00:572 edits
    I am planning to play in the Southern Class Championship in Orlando FL USA this coming weekend, and I found the following game while going through my usual pre-tournament prep. I was amazed by the brashly poetic violence of his approach right out of the gate- and both players were Fide ELO 2500+.

(I found this game in the notes of a Polar Bear article by IM James Vigus, but it strikes me as almost a Bird/Grob hybrid. Chess names are a funny business.)

This game led me to look for more of Jakubiec's games, and I found 78 1. f4 games in the database.

This is one of those games where his intentions are extremely clear right from the beginning, and it is clear that Mr. J treats rapid games like knife fights. Enjoy!

2. Standard memberChessPraxis
    Cowboy From Hell
    American West
    Moves
    29 Mar '12 04:55
    Originally posted by Paul Leggett
    I am planning to play in the Southern Class Championship in Orlando FL USA this coming weekend, and I found the following game while going through my usual pre-tournament prep. I was amazed by the brashly poetic violence of his approach right out of the gate- and both players were Fide ELO 2500+.

(I found this game in the notes of a Polar Bear artic ...[text shortened]... xe6
    28. fxg6 hxg6 29. Be4 d3 30. Bxg6 Bd4+ 31. e3 1-0[/pgn]
    That was sharp.
  3. Houston, Texas
    Moves
    29 Mar '12 08:22

(I found this game in the notes of a Polar Bear artic ...[text shortened]... xe6
    Agressive and a lot of confidence
  4. Joined
    26 Jan '12
    Moves
    29 Mar '12 08:41

GM Rozentalis equalised easily, but was outplayed in complicated middle game (decisive mistakes seems to be made in 23rd and 24th move) as his opponent probably had more experience in current opening setup.
  5. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    29 Mar '12 15:15
    oh, nasty! do you have a link for the vigus article? never heard of jakubiec either.. great find!
  6. Account suspended
    Moves
    29 Mar '12 17:161 edit
    Originally posted by wormwood
    oh, nasty! do you have a link for the vigus article? never heard of jakubiec either.. great find!
    was reading your blog dude, nice to hear from you, in blitz it appears to me that we
    simply do not have enough time to calculate accurately therefore its no surprise that
    our tactical exercises make little impact on the quality of our play. The number of
    games i have lost to total super patzers is unbelievable simply because of the time
    factor, there is a five hundred point rating difference between my blitz at ten minutes
    than at fifteen, in favour of the longer time control.
  7. SubscriberPaul Leggett
    Chess Librarian
    The Stacks
    Moves
    29 Mar '12 17:18
    Originally posted by wormwood
    Actually, it's a chapter from Dangerous Weapons: Flank Openings. This Jakubeic guy is the kind that I would like to meet at a Pub, where he shows me his games (the "$&%% theory, let's play. The clock's running!" kind of mentality), and I pay for the pints. Money well spent!

It gives me an idea for another thread, actually. Stay tuned.
  8. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    29 Mar '12 20:17
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    was reading your blog dude, nice to hear from you, in blitz it appears to me that we
    simply do not have enough time to calculate accurately therefore its no surprise that
    our tactical exercises make little impact on the quality of our play. The number of
    games i have lost to total super patzers is unbelievable simply because of the time
    fact ...[text shortened]... ference between my blitz at ten minutes
    yeah, I believe in blitz it's all about experience, experience, experience. I've tried loads of things over the years, and nothing else seems to have much of an effect in blitz except PLAYING loads of blitz, and training your openings inside out. and it is slooow progress, 1000-2000 games or so for every 100 rating points, but the progress seems steady over the years. I'm still a few hundred points shy from my 15/0 ratings, but the gap is closing all the time.
  9. Standard memberwormwood
    If Theres Hell Below
    We're All Gonna Go!
    Moves
    29 Mar '12 20:18
    Actually, it's a chapter from Dangerous Weapons: Flank Openings. This Jakubeic guy is the kind that I would like to meet at a Pub, where he shows me his games (the "$&%% theory, let's play. The clock's running!" kind of mentality), and I pay for the pints. Money well spent!

It gives me an idea for another thread, actually. Stay tuned.
    oh no, another chess book! curses! 😀
  10. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    29 Mar '12 20:39
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    fact ...[text shortened]... ference between my blitz at ten minutes
    Maybe true for you but not for me. I find calculating easy yet tiring in blitz simply because you must always be calculating and finding ideas simultaneously.
  11. Account suspended
    Moves
    30 Mar '12 07:541 edit
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Maybe true for you but not for me. I find calculating easy yet tiring in blitz simply because you must always be calculating and finding ideas simultaneously.
    no its not just me, wormwoods experience is also the same, to state that you can
    calculate every variation accurately in a five minute game is a nonsense, note the
    term, accurately. Look at any blitz game of the masters, Kramnik, Anand, Kasparov
    and Karpov and you will see that they play blitz positionally for this very reason, only
    calculating when absolutely necessary.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree