1. Joined
    21 Sep '05
    Moves
    28 Dec '05 03:15
    To those who fancy 1. e4, I offer the following ruminations by USCF Senior Master Mark Morss:

I consider that 1. d4 is the best move on the board, the chief reason being that 1…d5 condemns Black to a long defensive struggle with very few winning chances. The analogous statement is not true of 1…e5 after 1. e4, a system where everything hangs on a tempo and Black often takes over the role of White after just one sloppy move by his opponent. By contrast after 1. d4 d5 2. c4, White by very simple means and with essentially no risk obtains a slight advantage and good prospects of converting it to a win. In the main lines of the Queen's Gambit Declined or the Slav, one or even two flaccid moves by White often leave Black still wondering where his counterplay is....

Entire article can be found at: http://www.correspondencechess.com/campbell/hard/h000331.htm
  2. Standard memberXanthosNZ
    Cancerous Bus Crash
    p^2.sin(phi)
    Moves
    28 Dec '05 03:39
    🙄
  3. Standard memberno1marauder
    Naturally Right
    Somewhere Else
    Moves
    28 Dec '05 03:41
    Originally posted by basso
    To those who fancy 1. e4, I offer the following ruminations by USCF Senior Master Mark Morss:

I consider that 1. d4 is the best move on the board, the chief reason being that 1…d5 condemns Black to a long defensive struggle with very few winning chances. The analogous statement is not true of 1…e5 after 1. e4, a system where everything hangs on a tempo and ...[text shortened]...

Entire article can be found at: http://www.correspondencechess.com/campbell/hard/h000331.htm
    Damn! If only the rules of chess allowed Black to make some OTHER move besides d5 in response to d4!
  4. Edmonton, Alberta
    Moves
    28 Dec '05 03:59
    Who cares. Just play what you feel like playing.
  5. Joined
    17 May '05
    Moves
    28 Dec '05 05:52
    Originally posted by basso

I consider that 1. d4 is the best move on the board, the chief reason being that 1…d5 condemns Black to a long defensive struggle with very few winning chances. The analogous statement is not true of 1…e5 after 1. e4, a system where everything hangs on a tempo and ...[text shortened]...

Mark Morss whooo?
    The late great ironman played e4 with great success.
  6. Standard memberUmbrageOfSnow
    All Bark, No Bite
    Playing percussion
    Moves
    28 Dec '05 06:59
    Originally posted by Regicidal
    Mark Morss whooo?
    The late great ironman played e4 with great success.
    That is because 1.e4 leads to more tactical games in general and computers are good at tactics.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree