Moves
    04 Dec '12 16:25
    I wish I could be like David Watts.
  3. Standard memberMarinkatomb
    wotagr8game
    tbc
    Moves
    04 Dec '12 16:38
    Geoff, this made me Laugh out loud. Brilliant!

I might just offer up a suggestion for runner up in the 'worst book of all time' competition.

The opening according to Kramnik

Undoubtedly it has lots of useful ideas in it, but there is no text! It is a wall of impenetrable variations, i tried on multiple occasions to wade through, some how, but came to the conclusion that i'd actually prefer to burn my own eyes out.
  4. Subscriber64squaresofpain
    The drunk knight
    Stuck on g1
    Moves
    04 Dec '12 17:08
    I saw 'Doncaster Chess Books' on the cover and met it with a facepalm...

That is my hometown
  5. e4
    Moves
    04 Dec '12 17:16
    I've flicked through many a book like at book stalls there were the
    source of inspiration and of course 'fa fa fa fa fa fa fa fa......'
    because I needed a name and I was listening to the Kinks at the time.
  6. e4
    Moves
    04 Dec '12 17:33
    Doncaster is a gag I do in the Oak or Belss when I sing there.

I do a take on 'Winchester Cathederal' by The New Vaudeville Band.

I call it 'Doncaster Cathederal' and when some wit says it's 'Winchester Catherdal'.
    I tell the them. No. A Winchester is a rifle.

YouTube

A classic.
  7. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    04 Dec '12 18:151 edit
    Are there any details about the author? He doesn't appear to have played a FIDE rated game for at least twelve years:
    http://ratings.fide.com/id.phtml?event=401650
    and there's no sign of him in the ECF grading list.

Is this book for real? I can't find any mention of it on 'tinternet, or even of "Doncaster Chess Books".

An idea for a book: "32 Great Games of Chess", which is actually based on each of the pieces and pawns. So game 1 would be one where White's queen's rook played a crucial role etc. up to game 32. It would probably be quite tricky to find a high quality game for some of the pieces / pawns.
  8. e4
    Moves
    05 Dec '12 00:55
    Of course if you like book reviews.

Thread 103080

You will find or two there......
  9. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 11:22
    I used to know FM David Watts back in the 70s when he was quite a formidable player. It took me several hours of phoning around, but I finally managed to get a contact number for him and called him last night. He was quite despondent about Greenpawn's scathing review and has decided not to publish his book after all (it was going to be one of those "self publishing" jobs).
  10. e4
    Moves
    21 Dec '12 14:221 edit
    That's a pity, It was going to be non-classic.

Hmmm......

"An idea for a book: "32 Great Games of Chess", which is actually based on each
    of the pieces and pawns. So game 1 would be one where White's queen's rook
    played a crucial role etc. up to game 32. It would probably be quite tricky to find
    a high quality game for some of the pieces / pawns."

I reckon I could get 32 such games from RHP and by the time I've finished
    writing them up they will be games of high quality.
  11. Standard membersundown316
    The Mighty Messenger
    The Wood of N'Kai
    Moves
    23 Dec '12 01:25
    For me,it's a toss-up between the book on Spassky,by some guy named Van Reek(how apropo) Don't know where this guy learned his English from,but he comes off speaking gibberish. Another clunker is Idle Passion:Chess and the Dance of Death,by Alexander Cockburn,a right-wing looney who has a tremendous hatred for chess and all connected with it,but never explains why he hates the game so much. Anything by Eric Schiller is pretty much garbage. The turn of the century books by a guy named Franklin K. Young are pretty unreadable-he uses military terms to describe chess strategies. Nothing but gibberish there!
  12. Standard memberThabtos
    I am become Death
    Moves
    23 Dec '12 19:39
    I'm sorry, but that award still goes a book that's so bad my brain can't even compute the name or author.

It's a book called 'Shocking Chess Novelties" or something like that, and the guts of the tome consist of moves generated by the mind of the author, who I think was rated around 1700 USCF at the time he wrote it.
  13. Joined
    21 Feb '06
    Moves
    09 Jan '13 23:51
    Originally posted by Thabtos
    I'm sorry, but that award still goes a book that's so bad my brain can't even compute the name or author.

It's a book called 'Shocking Chess Novelties" or something like that, and the guts of the tome consist of moves generated by the mind of the author, who I think was rated around 1700 USCF at the time he wrote it.
    Perhaps "100 Awesome Chess Moves" by Eric Schiller?
  14. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    10 Jan '13 01:23
    Originally posted by greenpawn34
    Doncaster is a gag I do in the Oak or Belss when I sing there.

I do a take on 'Winchester Cathederal' by The New Vaudeville Band.

I call it 'Doncaster Cathederal' and when some wit says it's 'Winchester Catherdal'.
    I tell the them. No. A Winchester is a rifle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wv_RfFmJ5nA

A classic.
    I thought the video was screwed up when they played that first weird song. Just like the British, I guess. 😏
  15. In attack
    Moves
    10 Jan '13 11:37
    Originally posted by RJHinds
    I thought the video was screwed up when they played that first weird song. Just like the British, I guess. 😏
    My father taught me that if you have got nothing good to say, it is best not to say anything at all. You could learn from this advice

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree