Please turn on javascript in your browser to play chess.
Only Chess Forum

Only Chess Forum

  1. 24 Jun '07 13:47 / 1 edit
    what's the youngest age a player has become a grandmaster?
  2. 24 Jun '07 13:55
    Originally posted by eatmybishop
    what's the youngest age a player has become a grandmaster?
    14 and some months. And I believe it is Peter Leko who holds the record.
  3. 24 Jun '07 14:26
    Originally posted by Leaadas
    14 and some months. And I believe it is Peter Leko who holds the record.
    are you living in year 1999 or something?
  4. Standard member RECUVIC
    international loser
    24 Jun '07 14:32
    Sorry! this is not correct,the youngest person to be granted IGM status by FIDE is Sergie Karyakin of the republic of Ukraine. This was awarded to Sergie in 2002 at the age of 12 years and 7 months and remains the record to the present day.----------
  5. 24 Jun '07 15:56
    i don't find it suprising that kids that young have achieved grandmaster status. they started chess early and probably play it 24/7 also they probably had a grandmaster for a coach for their talent and lastly kids can learn at a much faster rate than adults. i find it humbling when a younger person beats me.
  6. 25 Jun '07 12:33
    Originally posted by RECUVIC
    Sorry! this is not correct,the youngest person to be granted IGM status by FIDE is Sergie Karyakin of the republic of Ukraine. This was awarded to Sergie in 2002 at the age of 12 years and 7 months and remains the record to the present day.----------
    Not to be annoying, but, there's no such thing as IGM. International Grandmaster is a made up title...there is only gm, im, fm, and of course the woman titles
  7. 25 Jun '07 13:52
    chess databases, the internet --- all these 21th century tools have made absorbing chess knowledge easier now. just like a child can learn foreign languages more easily than an adult, same holds true with chess.
  8. Standard member adam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    25 Jun '07 14:02
    Originally posted by Restless Soul
    Not to be annoying, but, there's no such thing as IGM. International Grandmaster is a made up title...there is only gm, im, fm, and of course the woman titles
    IGM was the way the title was refered in the old days.
  9. 25 Jun '07 14:12
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    IGM was the way the title was refered in the old days.
    only in old books...never by an organization
  10. Standard member adam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    25 Jun '07 14:16
    Originally posted by Restless Soul
    only in old books...never by an organization
    I didn't know that... I thought it was recognised by FIDE too.
  11. 25 Jun '07 15:19
    Originally posted by adam warlock
    I didn't know that... I thought it was recognised by FIDE too.
    I like Nigel Short's idea..we should just get rid of the titles
  12. Standard member adam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    25 Jun '07 15:39
    Originally posted by Restless Soul
    I like Nigel Short's idea..we should just get rid of the titles
    Me too. A lotta GM's out there that aren't what the word used to mean. Heck they still can beat me with rook or even queen odds but the title just doesn't mean what it used too.
  13. 25 Jun '07 16:01
    are you kidding me grandmasters back then couldn't mach up to the grandmasters today. it was said that philidor only had a rating today of 2100!! the best is today. we have more knowlidge.
  14. 25 Jun '07 16:22
    Originally posted by kmac27
    are you kidding me grandmasters back then couldn't mach up to the grandmasters today. it was said that philidor only had a rating today of 2100!! the best is today. we have more knowlidge.
    he means ever since the massive elo inflation in fide its become really easy to be a gm, so it's hard to tell apart players who are just gms and who are world champion contenders.
  15. Standard member adam warlock
    Baby Gauss
    25 Jun '07 16:25
    Originally posted by kmac27
    are you kidding me grandmasters back then couldn't mach up to the grandmasters today. it was said that philidor only had a rating today of 2100!! the best is today. we have more knowlidge.
    Resteless Soul answered for me.