1. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 03:121 edit
    Originally posted by Romanticus
    I looked at that during the game.I had:

22.Qg7,Kc8 White still needs to pick up a piece so he'll most likely play 23.gxh3 then 23.....,Be4+ regains the exchange for Black.I don't see a problem with that.In fact,I think Black might be slightly better in that line.
    I beat you to it. 😛 ^^^

Oh I was also wondering if 6...dxe4 was book?
  2. Joined
    30 Mar '09
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 03:34
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Oh I was also wondering if 6...dxe4 was book?
    Don't know,I don't have a Latvian book.I've been trying this opening basing my play on a chessville article which stated:

The Mlotkowski variation:
    1.e4 e5 2.Nf3 f5 3.Nc3
    Named after Mlotkowski, the American master who introduced it in 1916. 3..fxe4 4.Nxe5 (Not 4.Nxe4 d5 and now 5.Nxe5?? drops a piece after 5… Qe7). Also bad for White is 5. Nc3 e4.
  3. Joined
    30 Mar '09
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 03:41
    Originally posted by robbie carrobie
    you Latvian guys are not happy unless you are throwing rooks and pawns and knights and kitchen sinks into the sacrificial melee, have you no decency, no sense of decorum, no fear??
    That was no sacrificial melee.I traded my rook,2 pawns and king safety for 2 knights.A fair trade by any standard 😉
  4. Joined
    21 Sep '06
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 04:52
    In the 21st game of the 1974 Karpov-Korchnoi match, Karpov's 17th move Bxd5 attacked Korchnoi's R on h1. If he moved the Rook that allowed Nf3+ winning the Q (as would recapturing the B).

Korchnoi asked the arbiter if it was legal to castle with the Rook under attack. It was, and he won quickly with 18.O-O!

5. Account suspended
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 07:45
    That was no sacrificial melee.I traded my rook,2 pawns and king safety for 2 knights.A fair trade by any standard 😉
    as I suspected, end game junkies 😉
  6. Joined
    29 May '09
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 11:30
    Originally posted by DawgHaus
    In the 21st game of the 1974 Karpov-Korchnoi match, Karpov's 17th move Bxd5 attacked Korchnoi's R on h1. If he moved the Rook that allowed Nf3+ winning the Q (as would recapturing the B).

Korchnoi asked the arbiter if it was legal to castle with the Rook under attack. It was, and he won quickly with 18.O-O!

[pgn][Event "Karpov-Korchnoi Candidates Ma ...[text shortened]... Ne5 15. Ng5 Bxg5 16. Bxg5 Qxg5 17. Qxg5 Bxd5 18. O-O Bxc4 19. f4 1-0 [/pgn]
    Korchnoi had to ask if castling was legal with Rook under attack??

Every amateur I know can answer that question. This is one of the first things I learned when starting to play chess.
  7. Joined
    21 Sep '06
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 13:13
    Originally posted by whiteknight26

Every amateur I know can answer that question. This is one of the first things I learned when starting to play chess.
    It is a funny story - world championship candidate asking about the rules. You can't blame Korchnoi for being careful given that he was unsure.

There was a Karpov-Miles game where Karpov incorrectly claimed a draw by repetition. The pieces were all on the same squares three different times with the same player to move - only the first time Black had the right to castle and in the other two he didn't. So the claim was denied. The game was drawn anyway.
  8. Standard memberorion25
    Art is hard
    Moves
    26 Jun '09 16:34
    Originally posted by whiteknight26

I didn't know it until I read this topic I thought you couldn't castle if any of the fiels/pieces involved in the process are attacked by an enemy piece...
  9. Joined
    30 Mar '09
    Moves
    27 Jun '09 16:20
    Originally posted by orion25
    I didn't know it until I read this topic I thought you couldn't castle if any of the fiels/pieces involved in the process are attacked by an enemy piece...
    And so this thread has served a worthwhile purpose 🙂
  10. Joined
    26 May '09
    Moves
    30 Jun '09 09:42
    In what 'standard' is that a fair trade, material wise you have lost 7 points and white has lost 6, and in some cirumstances king safety is priceless. 😀
  11. Joined
    30 Mar '09
    Moves
    30 Jun '09 12:041 edit
    Originally posted by Blackson
    In what 'standard' is that a fair trade, material wise you have lost 7 points and white has lost 6, and in some cirumstances king safety is priceless. 😀
    By a 'joke' standard.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree