theory, its evaluation

theory, its evaluation

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A

Moves
07 Jul 08

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
...anyhow the opening moves were as follows,

1.e4 e5
2.Nf3 Nc6
3.Bb5 Nf6
4.0-0 d6 (rather passive in my opinion)
5.d4 exd4 (if hes gonna offer the center why not take it?)
6.Nf3xd4 Bc8d7....
Aside from the lines already proposed, an alternative scheme of development is to play 6. Qxd4 intending on 6...Bd7 7. Bxc6. If now 7...Bxc6 then 8. Bg5 followed by queenside castling. If 7...bxc6, then kingside castling and the lines are similar to those already suggested.

rc

Moves
07 Jul 08

Originally posted by zebano
Keep your engine accusations to yourself.

Anyway, in the pertinent position I see this:

1. Exchanging off the pieces leaves you with a better pawn structure and the ability to play for an e5 push opening up the board while the opponent hasn't castled. A sample sequence would be

7. Bxc6 Bxc6 8. Nxc6 bxc6 9. Re1 at which point we should realize that B ...[text shortened]... e question is do you think you are good enough to hone in on c6 and win the resulting endgame?
this is incredibly helpful, thank you, as yet i really don't fully understand the concepts of time and space, please no jokes, i mean with regard to the chess board not the theory of relativity!

rc

Moves
07 Jul 08

Originally posted by cyanfish
I think the best way to respond to this kind of move that you don't expect is to:
First, look at the idea it has;
Then, evaluate whether it is decent or not;
If so, try to look at your best continuations that might keep some sort of an advantage (e.g. in this case avoiding the retreat with Bd3);
If not, figure out what it isn't doing and how to e ...[text shortened]... 10. e5 looks good. If 10... dxe5 11. Qxc6+ Kf8 12. Nc3 and white has a nice initiative.
yes, actually black suffered a really cramped position through out the duration of the game, almost to the end game, and as far as the bishop pair goes, this would afford someone like me no advantage as possessing the pair is one thing, using it is quite another, thanks so much for your comments, these also are very insightful and helpful - kind regards Robert.

rc

Moves
07 Jul 08
1 edit

Originally posted by greenpawn34
Looked at the position, read others comments.

You have had some good advice. It looks like Bxc6 is the move.

Overview:
Sometimes your opponent will 'throw-you' with a non-book,
or very rare move. It's their job.

A rule of thumb in these cases which has always been kind to me.

[b] If in doubt, get a piece out.

So that rule suggests N ...[text shortened]... lay chess.
There is a whole middle-game ahead of you. That's where games
are won and lost.[/b]
oh greenpawn dude you are correct, its interesting that instinctively i knew that Nxc6 was just, i dunno, not comfortable, but i did it anyway, there must be a better way than using instinct, like maybe a brain, for what its worth i will remember this little adage, when in doubt get a piece out - awesome, against Cinco, 2100 rated player, i was doing alright, and apparently an even game had ensued up until move 23 when the mans genius broke through and i was unable to hold my position and suffered a complete breakdown, alas the concepts of time and space were what caused the perilous collapse, concepts which as yet remain illusive, kind regards Robert.

w
If Theres Hell Below

We're All Gonna Go!

Moves
07 Jul 08

Originally posted by robbie carrobie
...alas the concepts of time and space were what caused the perilous collapse, concepts which as yet remain illusive, kind regards Robert.
the games of danielsen helped me a lot with that. especially his "live blitz games", which he explains while he plays. first you see how principled his move choices are, then how it all converts into a win. no fancy tactics, just very principled moves.

http://www.videochess.net/

S

Moves
07 Jul 08

Originally posted by wormwood
the games of danielsen helped me a lot with that. especially his "live blitz games", which he explains while he plays. first you see how principled his move choices are, then how it all converts into a win. no fancy tactics, just very principled moves.

He's very funny.
"You want to give me your knight? Thank you very much!"
"Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr - my Polar Bear!".
etc.

rc

Moves
07 Jul 08

Originally posted by wormwood

thanks wormwood, yes, most interesting, i tried the polar bear system and got slaughtered by one and all, if my recollection serves me correctly he gives a lecture on a game by Tal in which he explains the importance of time and space, regards robert.