1. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    01 Aug '12 21:191 edit
    I just finished playing this game.

I thought this game was very illustrative of my experience on this site. Most of my opponents played very hastily and carelessly, and I ended up with a clear advantage. And I had to do something with it, but I couldn't see what.
  2. São Paulo, Brazil
    Moves
    02 Aug '12 00:48
    That's a pretty aggressive way to play against 1.e4 as black. Props for that.
  3. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    02 Aug '12 01:22
    Originally posted by WanderingKing

[pgn]1. e4 e5 {Never played anything else.} 2. Bf1c4 Nb8c6 3. c3 Ng8f6 4. Qd1b3 Nc6a5 {I just thought I'd see how it goes. After 5. Bxf4 Ke7 6. Qa3, I think I'm still OK. I'm ahead in development and take a bishop in exchange for a knight, a pawn and a weakened king. I was going to castle kingside by hand.} 5. Bc4 ...[text shortened]... p with a clear advantage. And I had to do something with it, but I couldn't see what.
    I'd say you saw what to do this time. But keep being critical of yourself... it makes improving easier.
  4. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    09 Aug '12 18:34
    Thanks. I don't like it that even given the amount of time I can and do spend analyzing my moves here, I still can't get to the bottom of things. It didn't work out that well this time:

5. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 Aug '12 18:39
    Thanks. I don't like it that even given the amount of time I can and do spend analyzing my moves here, I still can't get to the bottom of things. It didn't work out that well this time:

[pgn][Event "Open invite"] [Site "http://www.redhotpawn.com"] [Date "2012.08.03"] [EndDate "2012.08.09"] [Round "?"] [White "WanderingKing"] [Black "paulp28"] [White ...[text shortened]... already too irritated to play sensibly so I resigned.} 0-1[/pgn]
    Checks aren't the only tempo gainers.

On move 10 why b4? 10.Nxg5 threatens to win blacks queen so there is no time to take your bishop.
  6. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    09 Aug '12 18:54
    Originally posted by tomtom232
    Checks aren't the only tempo gainers.

On move 10 why b4? 10.Nxg5 threatens to win blacks queen so there is no time to take your bishop.
    Right, I think it's good. I didn't see that the queen is trapped. But can I save the bishop anyway? I'll have to think about it.
  7. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 Aug '12 19:045 edits
    Right, I think it's good. I didn't see that the queen is trapped. But can I save the bishop anyway? I'll have to think about it.
    Well there are two queen winning threats.

1. 11.Nf7 Qe8 12.Ne5+

2. 11.Qg4+ Kd6 {...e6 Qxe6 is mate} Nf7+ (edit: this is actually mate lol lucky for black or else his queen would be lost)

I think the only moves that defend both of these is Ke6 which must be suicide and e6

10...e6 11.Qg4 {threatens mate} 11....Qe7 12.Bxh4 bishop saved and still a good position.

edit: ...Nh6 also defends but then 11.Bxh4 and you're up three pawns.
  8. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    09 Aug '12 19:57
    But Black has more than just 11...Qe7. There's also Qf6 and Nxd4. And Qf6 attacks the other bishop. (And even after taking the bishop, the queen will still prevent the mate.)
  9. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 Aug '12 20:17
    But Black has more than just 11...Qe7. There's also Qf6 and Nxd4. And Qf6 attacks the other bishop. (And even after taking the bishop, the queen will still prevent the mate.)
    You can just go for 11.Nf7 if you want... If this was blitz I would play Qg4 though. It was blitz right?
  10. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    09 Aug '12 21:031 edit
    The problem is it wasn't. I played it here, spent a lot of time looking at the board, and still produced this crap.
  11. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    09 Aug '12 21:131 edit
    The problem is it wasn't. I played it here, spent a lot of time looking at the board, and still produced this crap.
    You just need to keep plugging away, mate.

You have to be able to judge you're position correctly... you can't play like you're winning when you aren't and you can't be complacent in a double edged position.

In this position you just have to evaluate correctly because there is no way you are going to calculate every single move... you have to think of these positions as "fast" positions. The first one to mate wins, but this doesn't mean you abandon all principles it just means you have to create threats to execute your plans. If a plan doesn't involve any tempo gainers in a "fast" position you have to look for another plan... these are actually easier to play IMO because this limits which moves you look at whereas a "slow" or blocked position I have no clue where to even start looking for a plan.

Edit: The biggest problem is realising when the game is going to transition between these types of positions. More often this is the case in a "slow" game after a pawn break opens the game up.

Another problem is that sometimes the game gets stuck in the transition and it is neither a "slow" or a "fast" game but balancing on the edge of a razor between the two... sometimes you are the one who can decide which way it falls in this case and sometimes it is your opponent.

The conclusion here is that chess is a very hard game and any generalising ends up being more complicated than helpful.
  12. USA
    Moves
    11 Aug '12 19:181 edit

[pgn]1. e4 e5 {Never played anything else.} 2. Bf1c4 Nb8c6 3. c3 Ng8f6 4. Qd1b3 Nc6a5 {I just thought I'd see how it goes. After 5. Bxf4 Ke7 6. Qa3, I think I'm still OK. I'm ahead in development and take a bishop in exchange for a knight, a pawn and a weakened king. I was going to castle kingside by hand.} 5. Bc4 p with a clear advantage. And I had to do something with it, but I couldn't see what.
    16...Qd1+ 17.Kg2 Qe1 looks pretty decisive. Maybe 18.Be3 Bg3, and White's gonna get mated or lose a ton of material.
  13. Joined
    29 Oct '09
    Moves
    11 Aug '12 20:25
    Originally posted by chesskid001
    16...Qd1+ 17.Kg2 Qe1 looks pretty decisive. Maybe 18.Be3 Bg3, and White's gonna get mated or lose a ton of material.
    I didn't see the queen had nowhere to go after Bg3. If only I knew why. I do those puzzles on ChessTempo, I play games. I think the only thing left to do is to study seriously with books and everything, but that's boring to me. So I'll just suck at chess forever.
  14. Joined
    15 Jun '06
    Moves
    11 Aug '12 23:37
    I didn't see the queen had nowhere to go after Bg3. If only I knew why. I do those puzzles on ChessTempo, I play games. I think the only thing left to do is to study seriously with books and everything, but that's boring to me. So I'll just suck at chess forever.
    Like gp says when you do puzzles set them up on a board and play over the moves leading up to the tactical shot... you won't see tactics until you can recognize when to look for them.
  15. e4
    Moves
    12 Aug '12 02:271 edit
    I intended when I first saw it a few day ago to kick off the next blog with the first game.
    I was hoping nobody would bring it up again.
    Please nobody say anymore about it till the next blog.

Re: Solving puzzles.

You are solving set puzzles, that is not studying tactics/chess.

Remember those exams you did at school where not only did you
    have to give the answer but you also had to show the workings.
    All you are doing is showing the answer.

Try and find the original game, look at the lead up play that led to
    that position. The workings.
    Setting up the combo is much harder than solving it.
    Now (IMO) you are studying tactics/chess.

Solving problems is great for keeping you alert and your eye in.
    But anyone can do that.
    You want to try and be the guy who sets them up and solves them.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree