This works!

This works!

Only Chess

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
17 Aug 20

I started doing this in April and really works (see link) 2 books I'd barely looked at (1ea on endgames and tactics) I've now finished, this along with 6 ea. 30 or 60 min. games on chess.com each week, and I'm now winning 45% of my online tournament games instead of 20%. Still a long way to go of course, but things don't look as hopeless as they once did. Don't waste this time if COVID 19 keeps you trapped at home, make use of it and up your game. When traditional OTB returns you can move up in class. πŸ™‚

&t=21s

Alekhine's Gun

πŸ€” Bolton

Moves
17 Aug 20

Quiz Master

RHP Arms

Moves
18 Aug 20

@mchill said
I started doing this in April and really works (see link) 2 books I'd barely looked at (1ea on endgames and tactics) I've now finished, this along with 6 ea. 30 or 60 min. games on chess.com each week, and I'm now winning 45% of my online tournament games instead of 20%. Still a long way to go of course, but things don't look as hopeless as they once did. Don't waste this tim ...[text shortened]... tional OTB returns you can move up in class. πŸ™‚

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EkagBBMDns&t=21s
But if we all take your advice, we all get better, and our ratings remain the same!

Should've kept it under your hat! πŸ˜‰

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
19 Aug 20

@wolfgang59

The chances of everyone here taking my advice are as close to 0 as one can get.

I'm pretty safe on that score... πŸ˜‰

S

Moves
21 Aug 20

I am also using this time to try and improve.
What is your goal?
I challenged you to a game since we are close in strength.

Alekhine's Gun

πŸ€” Bolton

Moves
21 Aug 20

@steinitz said
What is your goal?
mchill - If accepted I shall follow the game, I've had a rough week🚬

E

Moves
22 Aug 20

Improving to win is just ego and self gratification.

S

Moves
22 Aug 20

Tarrasch said improving was intellectual productiveness and he considered it one of the greatest joys of the human existance.

S

Moves
22 Aug 20

Ego or self gratification applies to almost euerything we do in life.

Über-Nerd

Moves
23 Aug 20

@steinitz said
Tarrasch said improving was intellectual productiveness and he considered it one of the greatest joys of the human existance.
The goal in chess is to be defeated by stronger and stronger players, until there are none left who defeat you.

E

Moves
23 Aug 20

@steinitz said
Ego or self gratification applies to almost euerything we do in life.
For some, not for all.

E

Moves
23 Aug 20

@steinitz said
To get better to get better, to better understand the game fits this description.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
24 Aug 20

@steinitz said
What is your goal?
My goal is 1800 OTB, sorry to have declined your challenge, but I'm transitioning away from correspondence, so will be leaving RHP as soon as my last game is finished here.

Cryptic

Behind the scenes

Moves
24 Aug 20
1 edit

@eladar said
Improving to win is just ego and self gratification.
I disagree. Improving to win is why most people make the effort in the first place. I know of no one why plays chess with the idea of losing.

As Vince Lombardi once said: "If winning isn't important, then why do they keep score?"

S

Moves
24 Aug 20

We have the same goal.
1800!
Let the race begin πŸ™‚