1. Joined
    08 Oct '06
    Moves
    12 Apr '11 02:25
    I had a friend (who is probably somewhat better and more experienced than me) tell me that there is no such thing as threefold repetition in Blitz. He in turn, said he heard it from someone slightly better and more experienced. Here:

http://www.uschess.org/docs/gov/reports/BlitzRuleChanges.pdf

I found that for draws there is no mention of threefold repetition at all for blitz. Can anyone confirm or deny his claim?
  2. Standard memberPureRWandB
    CCC Club Leader
    Denver, CO
    Moves
    12 Apr '11 03:13
    Based on your link, I didn't find any rule about the "3 fold rep" rule during Blitz.

I had the same question a few weeks ago, when I played black during this blitz game.

With this definition of a 3 Fold Rep,
    "In chess and some other abstract strategy games, the threefold repetition rule (also known as repetition of position) states that a player can claim a draw if the same position occurs three times, or will occur after their next move, with the same player to move. The repeated positions need not occur in succession. The idea behind the rule is that if the position is repeated three times, no progress is being made."

I asked a personal friend, fellow RHP player, and Tournament Director about this. He said that it's a draw, but he said that a completed score sheet must be present to claim the draw.

So, I believe it's a draw, but blitz websites aren't detailed enough to catch it....
  3. Joined
    18 Jan '07
    Moves
    12 Apr '11 13:04
    Originally posted by amolv06
    I had a friend (who is probably somewhat better and more experienced than me) tell me that there is no such thing as threefold repetition in Blitz. He in turn, said he heard it from someone slightly better and more experienced. Here:

http://www.uschess.org/docs/gov/reports/BlitzRuleChanges.pdf

I found that for draws there is no mention of threefold repetition at all for blitz. Can anyone confirm or deny his claim?
    In the FIDE rules, there is no mention of exceptions for blitz play under the third appearance rule at 9.2, and no mention of exceptions to the third appearance rule under blitz rules in appendix B (nor A). So yes, unless your local federation has made more specific rules, there is such a thing as a third appearance rule under blitz.
    Nor, by the way, does it mention specifically that that player's scoresheet must be used to prove that the position appears thrice. It merely says "if the claim is found to be correct". This could involve the opponent's scoresheet (as in 8.4), or an impartial observer (as in 8.5), or, these days, I suppose even a video record.

Richard

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree