1. Georgia, USA
    Moves
    06 Aug '12 00:18
    I would like to propose the following change that would primarily affect tournament play.

Under current rhp practice, when two players split their games, they are either both advanced to the next level or given two more games against each other (depending on what stage the tournament is in). This is cumbersome and inconclusive - especially in the later stages of a tourney.

Instead of two new games, I propose one more game - a third game as a tie breaker. Whichever player got his/her victory (in the previous 2 games) in the fewest moves - is allowed to choose colors for Game 3.

What is the consensus view on this?
    CC
  2. São Paulo, Brazil
    Moves
    06 Aug '12 01:254 edits
    Making the number of moves in a game play such a huge factor would encourage players to drag out lost games until checkmate. Depending on the time controls, that could make tournaments last much longer than they do right now instead of speeding things up.
  3. e4
    Moves
    06 Aug '12 01:39
    The players would, as suggested, prolong their games.

If it must be decided on one game, then in the case of a tie break
    the draw is random but Black has the draw odds.
    (if the game is drawn then Black wins.)
    I don't like it but it is an idea.
  4. Georgia, USA
    Moves
    07 Aug '12 10:14
    The ciriticism that it would draw out games is partially true. But only in the first two and only among the hyper competitive. Game 3 would not be drawn out and then the competition is concluded.

Much preferrable and quicker than playing the same opponent 4, 6, or 8 times.
  5. SubscriberPonderableonline
    chemist
    Linkenheim
    Moves
    07 Aug '12 10:40
    I suggest to discuss only in thread
    Thread 147916

there have points been made.
  6. Standard memberrobhamer
    Rob Hamer
    England
    Moves
    29 Aug '12 21:11
    Originally posted by CamelClutch
    I would like to propose the following change that would primarily affect tournament play.

Under current rhp practice, when two players split their games, they are either both advanced to the next level or given two more games against each other (depending on what stage the tournament is in). This is cumbersome and inconclusive - especially in the late ...[text shortened]... ewest moves - is allowed to choose colors for Game 3.

What is the consensus view on this?
    CC
    well camel i think your on the right track ,but i would like to see one winner to the next round ,it may speed up the tournament ,
  7. Standard memberRJHinds
    The Near Genius
    Fort Gordon
    Moves
    29 Aug '12 21:28
    Originally posted by CamelClutch
    The ciriticism that it would draw out games is partially true. But only in the first two and only among the hyper competitive. Game 3 would not be drawn out and then the competition is concluded.

Much preferrable and quicker than playing the same opponent 4, 6, or 8 times.
    Maybe it could be something like the World Championship match.

Cookies help us deliver our Services. By using our Services or clicking I agree, you agree to our use of cookies. Learn More.I Agree